Bowls Hall

Claadehol

If the bowls hall and other areas in the Clickimin are underused during weekdays I can understand the logic of the school using them at these times but personally I still find it mildly irritating.

The elderly use it at these times as do parents with young children, the disabled, tourists, people on days off, etc etc.

Like others on here I can't understand why the school has been built without an assemby hall/gymnasium type space, it wouldn't need to be expensive or win an architecture prize, just an insulated heated shed would suffice.

...... just an insulated heated shed would suffice.

Isn't that what they did do......for the whole school. Oops, no, wrong, its two insulated heated sheds.

Seriously though, if the designers could forget to incorporate (allegedly) ASN Dept accomodation until a member of its staff enquired, 'and where do we go?', overlooking the provision of a general purpose hall as well is no surprise.

Budget and site constraints drove the designers of the building, not creating something fit for purpose for its intended users and its own longevity, that much has been clear from Day. 1 that the dump site was chosen, and will come back and haunt the facility again and again as time passes.

I always thought they should have done the bowling at Islesburgh and then if it came a nice day, they could go across the road to the park. Seem to manage in the small country halls with a few rolls of carpet? I must say, with the centre shut for nearly two weeks over Christmas and New Year, I could hardly concentrate on the festive season for worrying about the lack of bowling facilities for such an extended period of time.

I always thought they should have done the bowling at Islesburgh and then if it came a nice day, they could go across the road to the park. Seem to manage in the small country halls with a few rolls of carpet? I must say, with the centre shut for nearly two weeks over Christmas and New Year, I could hardly concentrate on the festive season for worrying about the lack of bowling facilities for such an extended period of time.

Why do people who have not got a clue about the subject make stupid comments like that above. The game played on carpets in halls is totally different to that played in Clickimin. It is like comparing table tennis to the game of tennis played on a full sized court ? I would comment that the bowls hall has been or will be closed, not just for exams and Christmas, but for the Food Fair, the Wool Week start up, the Craft Fair, the Sports Awards, Up Helly Aa, Rich Hall performance etc. Regards going across the road to the outdoor green when the weather is fine, please refer to an earlier post I made.

Really these bowlers need to stop girning, and look on the use of the bowls hall as a seasonal pastime.

What about us poor trootie men? We canna go efter da troots from aboot the end of October till da middle o March.

Dunna hear wis gowlin'.....

You could always use the pool at Clickimin... :razz:

Guest Mr.Brown

^Isn't that so they can get peace to breed & the young to grow, so that you have a new supply of trout to catch by the time the season starts again? Not that I know anything about fishing (either), just taking a wild guess. As I have said previously, I don't know much about bowling but I am pretty sure this is not the process needed to produce more bowling balls! Heavens forbid that anyone is shocked that a brand new built school can't accommodate exam sitters! Would that not come under the heading of "not (at least) fully fit for purpose"?

You're absolutely right Mr Brown re the troots, but that wasn't really the point I was making. Us

trootie men just find something else to do for those few months.

Perhaps the bowlers could do the same. The possibilities are endless:Squash,badminton,table tennis,

rugby maybe, or perhaps the less active could try darts, dominoes, or stamp collecting.

Always something else to do, and less time to weep.

You're absolutely right Mr Brown re the troots, but that wasn't really the point I was making. Us

trootie men just find something else to do for those few months.

Perhaps the bowlers could do the same. The possibilities are endless:Squash,badminton,table tennis,

rugby maybe, or perhaps the less active could try darts, dominoes, or stamp collecting.

Always something else to do, and less time to weep.

Would it not be more useful to send the architects of the new school, that is unsuitable for the job that it's built to do, to play with themselves on the rugby pitch while the bowlers bowl happily along and the architects work out what to do with the problem that they've built themselves?