Suffragents

On this historic day, spare a thought for the men in society. It will be them driving the cesspit emptying trucks, sweeping your streets, emptying your bins, dying in the front line of wars, doing the dangerous jobs. If there is a death in UK industry, there's a 95% chance it will be a man. Men will spend less years in retirement, men die earlier. They are more likely to lose their kids in custody battles, will be imprisoned for crimes that a woman will not receive a custodial sentence for, will have fewer choices of contraception, and will end up bearing the financial responsibilities long after a marriage has dissolved, even when the blame is not their's. Men will be unsupported in violence in the home, seen as weak if they are ill, and generally get the crap end of life's stick.

To all the dads, uncles, sons, grandfathers and brothers out there, remember equality works both ways.

And when you raise points like this as a man you risk and interview with your employer, even when you wrote it outside work on your own computer!

Edited by BigMouth

I respect your views and they will probably be lot of men out there who have similar views and experiences.

But things have had to change. It has taken years,  but women are now allowed to be on the front line and work down the mines etc. 

My mother and now my daughter worked/work in jobs that are as dangerous as any other, and could be equally argued that very few men choose to follow their careers. I couldn't.  We are slowly moving in the right direction, and yes equality does cut both ways.

On this historic day, spare a thought for the men in society. It will be them driving the cesspit emptying trucks, sweeping your streets, emptying your bins, dying in the front line of wars, doing the dangerous jobs. If there is a death in UK industry, there's a 95% chance it will be a man. Men will spend less years in retirement, men die earlier. They are more likely to lose their kids in custody battles, will be imprisoned for crimes that a woman will not receive a custodial sentence for, will have fewer choices of contraception, and will end up bearing the financial responsibilities long after a marriage has dissolved, even when the blame is not their's. Men will be unsupported in violence in the home, seen as weak if they are ill, and generally get the crap end of life's stick.

To all the dads, uncles, sons, grandfathers and brothers out there, remember equality works both ways.

And when you raise points like this as a man you risk and interview with your employer, even when you wrote it outside work on your own computer!

There are some arguments to accept some of the differences between men and women. Men are physically stronger than women so they tend to take on the large majority of hard physical work. Women though are just as intelligent as men so are capable of taking on top management level positions and positions where they lead us all. Look at Theresa May and Margret Thatcher, the men, and women of course, work under them.

Men tend to die earlier. That's because they don't live as long. Perhaps that is encouraged by the physical work that men have done, but drinking habits won't help and men tend to drink more. That will encourage them to die earlier as well.

Men will, in my opinion, continue to lose their children as they and their partners split up. The mother will do a better job of looking after the child, that's nature. Therefore, the majority of children remain with the female as opposed to the male.

So what is historical about the difference between men and women? It is true that women have spent a long, long time being treated as a second class citizen but that has been changing for some time now.

So, what's the point that you're putting over? They are not complete suffragettes.

Edited by George.

Maybe, but we can choose 364 other days!

Women have had a few thousand years of working knee high in dirt, fish guts and muck with no representation or voice, and usually at the wrong end of some form of abuse at work or at home, and normally for little or no pay. In the numerous "total wars" we have had; Wars of Independence, 30 Years War, 100 Years War, Second World War for example, the countless victims of murder, rape and abuse have been women and their children. The fact that women have had more choices of contraception has clearly been a benefit to us blokes not just women! Women are certainly not shy of hard labour, for example they worked in the mines along with their children until men and the unions put a stop to it, this was especially true in the smaller tin mines of Cornwall. In short. Women are brilliant and more than deserve their day, and have also more than earned their right to representation and respect.

Maybe, but we can choose 364 other days!

Women have had a few thousand years of working knee high in dirt, fish guts and muck with no representation or voice, and usually at the wrong end of some form of abuse at work or at home, and normally for little or no pay. In the numerous "total wars" we have had; Wars of Independence, 30 Years War, 100 Years War, Second World War for example, the countless victims of murder, rape and abuse have been women and their children. The fact that women have had more choices of contraception has clearly been a benefit to us blokes not just women! Women are certainly not shy of hard labour, for example they worked in the mines along with their children until men and the unions put a stop to it, this was especially true in the smaller tin mines of Cornwall. In short. Women are brilliant and more than deserve their day, and have also more than earned their right to representation and respect.

It was actually a Lord who objected to women working bare-breasted alongside men, and was also concerned about the number of the deaths of children down the mines.  Queen Victoria ordered an enquiry; the upshot being legislation introduced prohibiting women from working down the pits and boys under 10.  Women and children had been paid less than the men, and whilst the powers that be deemed that women shouldn't be half-naked and should be at home as such behaviour was unbecoming for 'young ladies' yet to be married (despite the fact some were already married!) and should be at home tied to the kitchen sink, history (as opposed to herstory) reports that the male miners were happy because they then had more clout in wage negotiations.  It was quite common up until this point for women to be the main breadwinners of families and not men.

That's very interesting concerning women in coal mining. Though this was not the case in Tin Mining (in fact much of the metal mining industries). The miners or "Bal Maidens" wore protective clothing and they were affected more by a number of the Factory Acts and male pressure for increased wages. Despite this, they continued working up until the end of the 19th century with the very last working until the 1920s. There is a great website resource dedicated to their history http://www.balmaiden.co.uk/CornwallDevon.htm

I should add, that my wife's ancestors are on this site! Her family moved from Cornwall to South Wales when the tin mining was in decline.

It was actually a Lord who objected to women working bare-breasted alongside men, and was also concerned about the number of the deaths of children down the mines.  Queen Victoria ordered an enquiry; the upshot being legislation introduced prohibiting women from working down the pits and boys under 10.  Women and children had been paid less than the men, and whilst the powers that be deemed that women shouldn't be half-naked and should be at home as such behaviour was unbecoming for 'young ladies' yet to be married (despite the fact some were already married!) and should be at home tied to the kitchen sink, history (as opposed to herstory) reports that the male miners were happy because they then had more clout in wage negotiations.  It was quite common up until this point for women to be the main breadwinners of families and not men.

Edited by Whistle and Flute

@ Whistle and Flute - I'll have a read of the link, thanks!

The reason I remember women and coal mining so well is because our tutor drummed it into us at an Open University lecture.  Suffrage I remember from further studying and attending the Women's Library, going through the personal effects of Emily Davison and also the Pankhursts, fascinating reading.

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo

I agree with BigMouth about women only short lists being wrong.  Short lists should contain the best people for the position they seek regardless of gender, sexuality, ethnic origin, age or which Spice Girl they prefer.  Perhaps a rule to say that there should be one woman on a short list would be OK as there is a kind on imbalance in lots of elected bodies but no more than that.

Human papilloma virus is an STD that can cause warts and genital (amongst other areas) cancer in both sexes. There is a vaccine available for this, and in the United States young, mostly teenagers, of both sexes are given this vaccine. This is useful as it will control the disease in heterosexual, bisexual and homosexual populations. In the UK the vaccine is only given to females. Men lose out (again), but particularly homosexual men.

Suicide is one area where sadly men are not under-represented. Twice as many men in Scotland committed suicide in 2016 as women. Every death like this is tragic.

I was reading recently that volunteers are hard to find for kid's activities in Shetland. Going back to the Mum of three boys with no male influence, it was her that told me that there were no men in the local Cub's group. Men won't go into a system where it is automatically assumed that they are guilty of some ill-deed, a danger to children, and that they have to prove otherwise. Everyone understands the need for the children's safety, but most men have voted with their feet and decided not to involve themselves in children's activities. One rumour can ruin a man's reputation, so why bother giving your time for free with such risks involved? Why bother going through the clearance procedure? That leaves women to run these activities, but it looks as though they are choosing not to engage in these activities either, despite the risk to them being so much lower.

I asked the local SNP why there was no Men's Officer - apparently women have more issues. Obviously not any of the main points I have discussed so far.

I was brought up to hold open a door for anyone following me. The reaction from men is either: a thanks, a grunt or a nod. You never quite know what you will get with a woman. With a young woman it is all too often a sneer or an entitled look, with not so much as a thank you. Older women can be very effusive in their thanks, especially when I tell them that I am not sure if I should be doing it any more. On two occasions women have told me that they are perfectly capable of opening a door for themselves, or words to that effect. A bad day perhaps, period pains or just another vile feminazi? One never knows. So if a guy lets a door go in your face girls then blame the sisterhood.