Recycle! Positive Comments Welcome

ETLerwick

The roadsides are covered in rubbish because some people through bottles etc out of their cars windows instead of taking it home like any normal person would.

I am glad that Shetlanders seem to be well hydrated judging by the amount of plastic water/juice bottles I pick up on a daily basis.

Or because the SIC refuses to do what is done in other parts of the UK, namely employ folk to pick up rubbish outside of the toon.  Instead, they try to con people into thinking we should all volunteer for the clean ups.  Be far too sensible for anyone doing community service to be lowered to picking up rubbish.

And before you accuse me of being all doom and gloom/SIC bashing, I do think that folk should pick up their own rubbish/take it home with them/place in suitable receptacle.

I agree. Maybe a different thing but I have always been staggered at the amount to stuff washed up on beaches, beyond belief in some places, so glad to get involved in a redd up were I can. Blue Planet - wooble   :razz:  of conscience for our political leaders that might change something regarding plastics in the sea, and hopefully that will continue to filter down to everything we do.

Please, let's use this thread to support the effort, answer questions, support each other -- if you want to post negative responses, please start another thread.

What a good idea, ban negative responses. That's very like telling lies and denying the truth, isn't it.

The S.I.C used to deliver skips and allow them to be filled with rubbish, be it wood, metal, stone and all the rest. That has been gone for three or four years now and all the rubbish just gets thrown out to sea. That was all caused by the council, what a good idea.

Support the lies and garbage if you want, ETLerwick. I prefer honesty.

Honesty in the S.I.C means doing nothing productive for the population of Shetland while extracting every single penny from them, but that's a good idea isn't it. Claim the S.I.C is doing a splendid job while denying the truth. A round of applause here, I think. I can't think why but I'll think all the same, yawn.

Seriously? If people can't be arsed arranging a bulky item pick up or taking their large items to the dump that is hardly the fault of the SIC is it? I honestly don't think all that rubbish that used to go in the skips gets thrown out to sea. there is definately fly tipping going on but the chap that I have seen doing it shouldn't have been using the community council skips anyway.

I think the OP was looking for some positivity for a change and not the usual doom and gloom SIC bashing.

It is their thread is you don't like it start your own.

Perhaps folk "can't be arsed", as you so eloquently put it, is because they don't have the funds to pay for said item to be collected and don't have transport to get to the dump.  

Do you not get 1 free uplift a year?

I am sure that we all know somebody that would help get stuff to the tip.

No, you do not get one free uplift a year. You pay for bulky items to be uplifted, every single time. We all probably do know somebody that will shift it as required and willingly too. Remember though, you, me and everybody else pays for every single thing - whether it is provided or not.

OK I didn't realise that having always dealt with it myself.

But if people can somehow organise flytipping or dumping something at sea then I reckon they can arrange to get it to the dump.

Sorry George I am not getting your last sentence?

Please, let's use this thread to support the effort, answer questions, support each other -- if you want to post negative responses, please start another thread.

What a good idea, ban negative responses. That's very like telling lies and denying the truth, isn't it.

The S.I.C used to deliver skips and allow them to be filled with rubbish, be it wood, metal, stone and all the rest. That has been gone for three or four years now and all the rubbish just gets thrown out to sea. That was all caused by the council, what a good idea.

Support the lies and garbage if you want, ETLerwick. I prefer honesty.

Honesty in the S.I.C means doing nothing productive for the population of Shetland while extracting every single penny from them, but that's a good idea isn't it. Claim the S.I.C is doing a splendid job while denying the truth. A round of applause here, I think. I can't think why but I'll think all the same, yawn.

Seriously? If people can't be arsed arranging a bulky item pick up or taking their large items to the dump that is hardly the fault of the SIC is it? I honestly don't think all that rubbish that used to go in the skips gets thrown out to sea. there is definately fly tipping going on but the chap that I have seen doing it shouldn't have been using the community council skips anyway.

I think the OP was looking for some positivity for a change and not the usual doom and gloom SIC bashing.

It is their thread is you don't like it start your own.

Perhaps folk "can't be arsed", as you so eloquently put it, is because they don't have the funds to pay for said item to be collected and don't have transport to get to the dump.  

Do you not get 1 free uplift a year?

I am sure that we all know somebody that would help get stuff to the tip.

No, you do not get one free uplift a year. You pay for bulky items to be uplifted, every single time. We all probably do know somebody that will shift it as required and willingly too. Remember though, you, me and everybody else pays for every single thing - whether it is provided or not.

OK I didn't realise that having always dealt with it myself.

But if people can somehow organise flytipping or dumping something at sea then I reckon they can arrange to get it to the dump.

Sorry George I am not getting your last sentence?

Sorry Mikeyboy, not making myself too clear. We do pay for everything. Sometimes it's cash and sometimes it's courtesy, but there's a payment of some kind every time. Look at the S.I.C, look at the government, there is a price on everything. Nothing is free when you get it from your mother, sister, wife or Westminster. There is always a price to pay. We may forget that - but they don't :roll:

Perhaps the council should raise a separate tax to pay for re-cycling rubbish collection etc. That way they could ring fence the amount required to provide skips and collection , so that budget cuts elsewhere wouldn’t be an issue.

That would be illegal unless the law was changed.  There's already several laws dealing with recycling and rubbish, etc.  As I pointed out on the other thread, local authorities have a duty to encourage recycling.  I further pointed out I had asked the SIC to quote the relevant legislation which stated members of the public/households had to comply ... I'm still waiting.  And again, as per the previous thread, the legislation states that rural areas are EXEMPT.  We have recycling.  Except the EU (which we're leaving) dictates that we can't burn X in the incinerator.  So right now, the SIC is following legislation which will probably be going up in a puff of smoke in a few years, buying wood pellets or wotnots for the district heating scheme and yet all this is green?  Oh look, there flies another cuckoo over a nest ... you want to buy into this non-green scheme and believe the hype (you, meaning the OP), good luck to you.  I'm not, because it's not proper recycling but IS a tick box exercise.

Shame the council would not support the Auction house. That was the best recycling of the lot for bulky items, someone would put a house clearance to the auction and buyers who could not afford brand new stuff was able to furnish their houses with reasonably good quality stuff then the folk who put the stuff in got the money. Everyone happy.

But now at least 90% of the stuff that went to the auction is going to the dump as folk has little other option.

^ The skips around the countryside recycled too, some were filled twice before they were finally full. One (wo)man's trash is another (wo)man's treasure, and all that, much of what went in, almost immediately came out again and went to a new home, even if it was just for firewood.

Old vehicles used to recycle too, whether it was to provide storage, spare parts, or both, but if anybody has a few sitting around these days, folk are bitchin that its offending their eyeballs, and there's some Cooncil suit snooping around harrassing and nagging folk over it.

If you want to really make a difference, lobby governments to legislate against so much crap being produced.

Everything these days is in disposable and non-compostable wrappings. Takeaways used to come in paper, lollys used to be on paper or wooden sticks, drinks came in glass bottles, meat, cheese and bread in greased paper or paper bags, clothes were cotton or wool, footwear and upholstery were leather etc.....If any of it got strewn around the countryside, it didn't really matter it either decomposed to make soil, or just lay there and did nothing any harm. Now its wall to wall plastic, which even when it 'bio-degrades' its only breaking down in to microscopic particles, which are steadly amassing to create a plastic sludge that's as toxic if not moreso than crude oil. Of course its suffocating the planet - stop making it, stop making the products that are the worst ofenders, and the whole 'recycling' debate is largely null, void and un-necessary. Its not rocket science.

Very true, there is no need for all this packaging that everything is in.

You can blame the health and safety for a lot of this.

Mind Malcolmsons bakery shop on da street, all fancies, cream buns etc used to be sitting in the cabinets with no packing, if you asked for one then the person working would pick it up, put in a paper bag and twist the corners. But to end up with, health and safety came along, then all fancies were wrapped in plastic for hygienic reasons, load of crap, then when you got a fancy with icing, most of the icing would be stuck to the plastic.

That is just one example of how things have to be done according to health and safety.

Shame the council would not support the Auction house. That was the best recycling of the lot for bulky items, someone would put a house clearance to the auction and buyers who could not afford brand new stuff was able to furnish their houses with reasonably good quality stuff then the folk who put the stuff in got the money. Everyone happy.

But now at least 90% of the stuff that went to the auction is going to the dump as folk has little other option.

There's loads of options for recycling / reselling - the Scrap Store and other charity shops, as well as eBay, Shetlink, the Shetland Times and various other classifieds

The charity shops, classifieds etc are all very fine and well, but it's no much use if you have a house to clear. Where as with the auction, you could get rid of stuff in bulk and was put before the market and sold to the highest bidder, so items found there price level. Most charity shops are quite picky about what they take in. The best one is the Nesting Scrap Store, they take in everything from ornaments to furniture and sell it for reasonable prices unlike the prices some other charity shops charge.

Edited by Lerwick antiques

The charity shops, classifieds etc are all very fine and well, but it's no much use if you have a house to clear. Where as with the auction, you could get rid of stuff in bulk and was put before the market and sold to the highest bidder, so items found there price level. Most charity shops are quite picky about what they take in. The best one is the Nesting Scrap Store, they take in everything from ornaments to furniture and sell it for reasonable prices unlike the prices some other charity shops charge.

The Shetland home co will come and uplift if the stuff is reusable.