Recycle! Positive Comments Welcome

ETLerwick

Please, let's use this thread to ....... answer questions,....

Where is the evidence, preferably in the form of a detailed, comprehensive, accurate, realistic and  believable environmental audit, proving the proposed changes will create a more environmentally beneficial situation than the status quo?

Don't refer me to the cherry picked waffling piece of spin and propoganda that's been waved around so far either, its devoid of accuracy and fluffily light on data quantified in numbers and hard facts to the point its more unhelpful than helpful.

Prove this is an environmentally beneficial change and I'll back it, otherwise it IS just a box ticking political exercise that deserves contempt.

Just because 'Zero Waste Scotland' aka. Holyrood says it is, most certainly does not make it so - if for no other reason than they are political, and by default of being so operate primarily to a political agenda.

Your single question deserves an answer. Please attend a Carbon Literacy seminar and teach yourself about how to answer your own question.

Further, what will you do to recycle?

I really want to see the plastic and can return machines here that they have in many European countries where you get tokens or money back,

I like this, too. Apparently one machine scheme accepts plastic (standard, single-use bottles?) and returns tokens or coupons to be spent in the shoppe that hosts the machine. 

I'm not certain how to engage individual shoppe owners, however, in exploring this option.

I want to see less pre-packed stuff at the supermarket. Far too many veg items come in plastic. If different loose veg like tatties, carrots, onion were at the same price per kilo, you could get and weigh one reusable bag of mixed veg. or is that daft  :???:

Yes, and some of the economics of this may mean that because of our geographic location, shipping/ storing/ merchandising/ selling 'loose veg' is pretty impractical. 

Looking forward to a seasonal farmers market!

The roadsides are covered in rubbish because some people through bottles etc out of their cars windows instead of taking it home like any normal person would.

I am glad that Shetlanders seem to be well hydrated judging by the amount of plastic water/juice bottles I pick up on a daily basis.

Or because the SIC refuses to do what is done in other parts of the UK, namely employ folk to pick up rubbish outside of the toon.  Instead, they try to con people into thinking we should all volunteer for the clean ups.  Be far too sensible for anyone doing community service to be lowered to picking up rubbish.

And before you accuse me of being all doom and gloom/SIC bashing, I do think that folk should pick up their own rubbish/take it home with them/place in suitable receptacle.

I agree. Maybe a different thing but I have always been staggered at the amount to stuff washed up on beaches, beyond belief in some places, so glad to get involved in a redd up were I can. Blue Planet - wooble   :razz:  of conscience for our political leaders that might change something regarding plastics in the sea, and hopefully that will continue to filter down to everything we do.

Good point. Let's each adopt a beach and walk it regularly, picking up whatever non-natural material we find there, and bring it to a central location. Weekly walks are good for the beach, good for the walker, good for the soul. 

Point one out -- tell me where to find a fouled beach. I'll volunteer!

I really want to see the plastic and can return machines here that they have in many European countries where you get tokens or money back,

I like this, too. Apparently one machine scheme accepts plastic (standard, single-use bottles?) and returns tokens or coupons to be spent in the shoppe that hosts the machine. 

I'm not certain how to engage individual shoppe owners, however, in exploring this option.

Not sure either but will push it at my local when home. 

As for the supermarkets they are very conscious of public campaigns so if enough people contacted them.

I have just been given a good suggestion regarding the bulky uplifts. Although this wasn't what the OP was discussing.

OK it is £30 or £10 for 6 items.

So if people in an area got together and pooled their requirements, say if two of you had 3 items each that would be  £15 or £5 each.

This forum would be the ideal place to organise this from.

The roadsides are covered in rubbish because some people through bottles etc out of their cars windows instead of taking it home like any normal person would.

I am glad that Shetlanders seem to be well hydrated judging by the amount of plastic water/juice bottles I pick up on a daily basis.

Or because the SIC refuses to do what is done in other parts of the UK, namely employ folk to pick up rubbish outside of the toon.  Instead, they try to con people into thinking we should all volunteer for the clean ups.  Be far too sensible for anyone doing community service to be lowered to picking up rubbish.

And before you accuse me of being all doom and gloom/SIC bashing, I do think that folk should pick up their own rubbish/take it home with them/place in suitable receptacle.

I agree. Maybe a different thing but I have always been staggered at the amount to stuff washed up on beaches, beyond belief in some places, so glad to get involved in a redd up were I can. Blue Planet - wooble   :razz:  of conscience for our political leaders that might change something regarding plastics in the sea, and hopefully that will continue to filter down to everything we do.

Good point. Let's each adopt a beach and walk it regularly, picking up whatever non-natural material we find there, and bring it to a central location. Weekly walks are good for the beach, good for the walker, good for the soul. 

Point one out -- tell me where to find a fouled beach. I'll volunteer!

I've not been there for a while, but remember Nesbister Beach to be particularly plasticised. I usually pick up stuff from my more local beaches in the South Mainland when I visit.

Elon Musk, Space X - Tesla Roadster on a trajectory beyond Mars - more space junk?... well done mankind!... just a continuation of what we've been doing to our seas?... whether a St Kilda mailboat, message in a bottle, dropping junk overboard or dumping at sea. Sorry, off topic.

The Take 3 message is a good idea. I'm sure I have heard mention of it or a version of it here in Shetland recently. I'm intending to do this - take at least 3! 

I keep a bag in my pocket on my walks and a roll of sacks in the van.

If I see anything I pick it up where able.

Even if it is simple as picking up some cans and dropping them in the next bin.

It doesn't sound like much but I know it makes  a difference in my area.

That's an excellent approach. It's just getting into the habit of making it a normal part of the routine for me when being at a place that has litter... in a way that keeps it manageable, i.e. every little helps.

This is the article I saw: 'We all have the ability to do something to help stop plastic entering the ocean'

... and this is a good blog on the same subject: Pick up 3 Pieces

The blue-lidded bin is for paper, card and cardboard.

The grey-lidded bin is for cans, cartons and plastic bottles.

Non-recyclable rubbish collected however usually presented.

I get most of the above, but what is a carton? A carton of fruit juices yes, but what is the cling film covered plastic tub that mushrooms come in, a carton or non-recyclable? and can the cling film be recycled with the carton? Looking forward to the note through the door from the bin men on collection day 1  :razz: .