Recycle! Positive Comments Welcome

ETLerwick

^ engineer21 

Monday, 06 October 2014[/size]
http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/9446-sic-opts-for-new-mix-of-burning-and-recycling

...Infrastructure director Maggie Sandison said changes in legislation left the SIC with no option but to change tack. The situation remains in flux, with further legislative changes expected, and she suspects that in the long term the council will be “recycling more and incinerating less”....

Also from the article that mogling quoted:

"...Zero Waste Scotland recognised that –until an alternative heat source to the energy recovery plant is found – “environmental benefits of waste incineration to heat the district heating scheme outweigh the environmental benefits of recycling combustible materials in Shetland”.

So not getting the status quo obviously, but the incinerator still has to work somehow.

do any other island groups exist with a District heating schemes? 

What group of islands can you think of that exists with a district heating system?

A couple of islands with district heating schemes.

District heating system was started up in the Westman Islands (Vestmanneyjar) in 1977.

http://www.verkis.com/about-us/news/heat-pump-to-be-connected-to-the-westman-islands-district-heating

Samsø  is a Danish island in the Kattegat 15 kilometers (9.3 mi) off the Jutland Peninsula.

https://energiakademiet.dk/en/vedvarende-energi-o/

Edited by MuckleJoannie

do any other island groups exist with a District heating schemes? 

What group of islands can you think of that exists with a district heating system?

A couple of islands with district heating schemes.

District heating system was started up in the Westman Islands (Vestmanneyjar) in 1977.

http://www.verkis.com/about-us/news/heat-pump-to-be-connected-to-the-westman-islands-district-heating

Samsø  is a Danish island in the Kattegat 15 kilometers (9.3 mi) off the Jutland Peninsula.

https://energiakademiet.dk/en/vedvarende-energi-o/

I was responding to the comment by engineer21. It hinted that the distric heating covered Shetland when in fact it covers a bit of Lerwick.

A certain percentage of each tonne of crude oil recovered creates plastics, another portion creates diesel, does it really matter whether you burn the plastic portion of the tonne to heat x numbers of homes, after its been used to transport your milk, bleach or whatever to you, or burn the doesel portion thats served no other purpose than do it. 

Yes, it matters if you burn the plastic portion. To burn plastic creates pollution, huge amounts of poisonous pollution in the fresh air. Plastic is a disaster. Hopefully you don't burn it and poison the world, you're better off burying it instead. Unfortunately, then it takes about hundreds, thousands of years to break down.

Plastic is a pollutant. A very destructive one which every single person on planet Earth should know about, whether they use it or not.

....but the current incinerator doesn't emit any poisonous gasses to the air, they're all removed and contained......At least that's what they told us 20 years ago when they sold us the idea of building a quite expensive incinerator.

... so they built an 'environmentallly friendly' one where the gasses were filtered to only allow 'safe' ones to be emitted, and the heat produced to be put to good use, or that what they told us. Yet now it too has become an ecological pariah, or so they're telling us now.

Does anyone know what flue gas systems are in use at the plant? or is it just a matter of sorting and selecting what stuff is burned to minimise harmful emissions?

Pariah, or has it just become ecologically/ politically less preferable than alternatives?

I couldn't tell you exactly what system is used, but much fuss was made when the current incinerator was being planned over the fact that all poisonous gasses were going to be 'filtered out' and contained, to the point that when folk complained not all that long after commissioning that they could still 'see' a transparent 'plume' from the chimney, and wasn't it just a case only visible gasses were being filtered out, that a reassurance was given that what was being 'seen' was a 'plume' of heated clean air which was an unavoidable consequence of the incinerator requiring a throughput of oxygen to create the combustion process.

It can hardly be an ecologically less preferable alternative, when the other alternative consumes an equal or greater amount of non-renewable resources and produces an equal or greater amount of harmful emissions, which is exactly what the SIC's current plan would appear to be going to do. So, it must be political, which is what I've been saying all along. Its a checkbox exercise from a 'one size fits all' obsessed Holyrood, which disregards our unique geographical position and the fact we are already using our waste productively. So that they can get their national tonnage of waste incinerated lowered slightly, and the fact it'll cost us and make us considerably less 'green' than we already are, is collateral damage they're prepared to turn a blind eye to as it brings no negativity to them, only us.

Edited by Ghostrider

....but the current incinerator doesn't emit any poisonous gasses to the air, they're all removed and contained......At least that's what they told us 20 years ago when they sold us the idea of building a quite expensive incinerator.

No doubt they did tell us that twenty years ago. No doubt they will still be trying to tell us the same in another twenty years time. Regardless, there is more in the way of pollutants covering the planet than there are people, and the people create the pollutants and hapily spread it everywhere. Remember the skips that were put out for Joe Public to use to dispose of his larger waste, a lot of which will have been plastic. The skips have disappeared and the S. I. C. now charges for each uplift. I wonder what they do with the plastic in each uplift. I still wonder what the essy wagon does with all the plastic that it picks up? Possibly burns it, it's a good way to spread the pollutants.

i meant island groups within the UK where the recycling rules are applicable, so if we are the only one....wouldn't a dispensation of some kind have been viable? 

if all our waste went to landfill then i could understand the recycling....or at least recycle what cant be used to heat homes

after all many dispensations are given around the UK....like not needing a full driving licence on the small islands so these things are not out with realms of possibility

also what was wrong with recycling using plastic bags? why do we need big bins? SIC had a recycling system in place which they stopped... why? and now have totally changed it again why? are these actions not opposite to cost effective management?

I agree with what you have been saying. It would be a different discussion if we didn't already have the incinerator.

It will be interesting to see how separating waste and using the new scheme will change people's awareness and behaviour. I like that idea, and I hope it will make people think more about what they buy and use etc. The reduce/ minimize bit at the top of the hierarchy might have a big impact, which doesn't help when you have an incinerator and systems that demand your waste to make them viable!

Edited by Space

If I tie up my wheelie bin to stop it blowing away, does anyone know if the bin men will be re-tying wheelie bins back up to stop them blowing away ?

Or will I find my bins halfway down the road when I come home?

Who is liable for any damage caused by flying wheelie bin, the householder or council?

I notice that they bring this latest scheme out in the Spring when wind dying down.

Is this so when problems occur with the wind, they the council can say it has been working fine for last 7 months they can ignore the issue when gales really start to pick up again in October.

If I tie up my wheelie bin to stop it blowing away, does anyone know if the bin men will be re-tying wheelie bins back up to stop them blowing away ?

Or will I find my bins halfway down the road when I come home?

Who is liable for any damage caused by flying wheelie bin, the householder or council?

I notice that they bring this latest scheme out in the Spring when wind dying down.

Is this so when problems occur with the wind, they the council can say it has been working fine for last 7 months they can ignore the issue when gales really start to pick up again in October.

No - unless you use a bungee cord, they won't have time to untie and retie hundreds of wheelie bins daily.

You won't if you use a bungee cord, free and supplied with it.

You, it's your bin.  You don't have to accept the bin, but you do have to recycle.  If it is clear you are not recycling your waste will not be collected.

Are the council really going to allow their operatives to re hook bungee cords with all the safety risks of a bungee cord, main injury is a loss of an eye.

Yes I suspect they will.  Just as electricians work with electricity, the bin men will work with...........um, bungee cords.

You'll have to buy yourself impact goggles  B) I expect operatives will be issued with some? :)

I'm going to dig out my swimming goggles.