Recycle! Positive Comments Welcome

ETLerwick

"Recycling scheme off to 'strong start' up north"

Who Ray! This is truly positive news. Thanks to all.

Didn't you have a parental/guardian who taught you not to believe everything you read, especially when the statement is subjective, not objective.

Propagandaists move in mysterious ways, only question here is whether you've been taken in by one, or are one.

Proof that it hasn't got off to a good start?

Proof that you're happy to have the majority of your rubbish picked up once a fortnight? That's a real good start.

If you think the 'majority' of your rubbish will be collected once a fortnight you clearly haven't read anything about the recycling.  The 'general waste' will be collected once a fortnight, falling in line with the rest of the UK.  Shetland was the last place to deviate from weekly collections, some council areas have three weekly general refuse collections.  It's always people of a certain generation who are allergic to change and progress.  It won't stop it happening though.

Sadly it's people of the current generation who have little or no concept on the challenge of lowing the need to recycle.

Very true, but it's not solely the present generation that are at fault. Three or four, five or six generations before that they invented pollution, and no doubt the generation that we are in will leave a horrendous amount of pollution behind for the next few generations to use, solely for one reason. They will do it to continue polluting the planet, and in that they are killing it. Because of that, mankind is at risk, mainly from himself.

I agree, though I should add, "current generation", and should be seen as anyone aged over 16 with the ability to make an educated choice for the future. Government initiated recycling for individuals is merely a smoke screen for avoiding tackling the source of the problem; consumerism, industrial waste and multinationals who just find plastics cheaper and more profitable. 

Anyway, good luck to the initiative. But I do hate the term "Save the Planet". We may pollute it for ourselves, and destroy our own existence from it, but once were gone, the planet would just clean itself, regenerate over a few million years, and new life would spring up. On that day, and if the planet could talk, it would probably say, "I remember yon dinosaurs, they were here for ages, but those talking apes came and went pretty quickly, what the f*** were they all about? "  :ponders:  ..... 

Sadly it's people of the current generation who have little or no concept on the challenge of lowing the need to recycle.

Very true, but it's not solely the present generation that are at fault. Three or four, five or six generations before that they invented pollution, and no doubt the generation that we are in will leave a horrendous amount of pollution behind for the next few generations to use, solely for one reason. They will do it to continue polluting the planet, and in that they are killing it. Because of that, mankind is at risk, mainly from himself.

Edited by The Cutty Sark

Quite right.

There is one thing that I disagree with, though:

But I do hate the term "Save the Planet". We may pollute it for ourselves, and destroy our own existence from it, but once were gone, the planet would just clean itself, regenerate over a few million years, and new life would spring up.

I'm led to believe that our planet has about 7.5 billion years to go before it is burnt to death by our sun, when the sun becomes a red dwarf. Until that happens there will be an inhabitable area of the planet for man to live in. Unfortunately, in not too many years time man will have destroyed himself with pollution, harmful technology and also a massive population that our planet finds too difficult to look after. That inhabitable area may not be as comfortable as it should be for mankind, and it may well not be what we see as inhabitable today.

We can only wish mankind in the future the very best, and keep our fingers crossed.

Edited by George.

Maybe I wasn't being clear. my statement agrees with you. I'm saying mankind will make the planet uninhabitable for "human" existence well before, (as you note), the sun expands towards and past our orbit. But that doesn't mean other forms of existence won't survive and evolve before that happens and we're long gone. Our good friends the Dinos lived quite happily for 165 million years without the presence of bipedal apes. Anyway, life is a glorious thing, and will just keep growing and changing while the opportunity is there I guess. On a final though, I'm pretty sure it's cockroaches that will be rulers of the planet in the end anyway, an experiment showed that some could live through a radon unit exposure of 10,000! Around 2,000 rads will kill a human in around 10 minutes  :thmbsup  All hail the Roach Master  :rofl:

Quite right.

There is one thing that I disagree with, though:

But I do hate the term "Save the Planet". We may pollute it for ourselves, and destroy our own existence from it, but once were gone, the planet would just clean itself, regenerate over a few million years, and new life would spring up.

I'm led to believe that our planet has about 7.5 billion years to go before it is burnt to death by our sun, when the sun becomes a red dwarf. Until that happens there will be an inhabitable area of the planet for man to live in. Unfortunately, in not too many years time man will have destroyed himself with pollution, harmful technology and also a massive population that our planet finds too difficult to look after. That inhabitable area may not be as comfortable as it should be for mankind, and it may well not be what we see as inhabitable today.

We can only wish mankind in the future the very best, and keep our fingers crossed.

"Recycling scheme off to 'strong start' up north"

Who Ray! This is truly positive news. Thanks to all.

Didn't you have a parental/guardian who taught you not to believe everything you read, especially when the statement is subjective, not objective.

Propagandaists move in mysterious ways, only question here is whether you've been taken in by one, or are one.

Proof of anything? Thats kinda my point, there isn't any, good, bad or indifferent.

According to the 'news' report singing its praises, the first collection under the new arrangements took place on Wednesday, but omits to say whether that was a now fortnightly general rubbish collection, or one of the monthly paper/card or plastics collections. How can one single collection of only one of the types of rubbish prove anything, at the very least you need to complete a three week cycle of all three types to have the whole picture to begin to assess trends.

Its a piece of classic positive reinforcement PR, a repeating of what you want folk to believe so that at least some start to believe it is fact, despite the fact no evidence is provided to back it up.

Of the two named individuals quoted as being 'in support',of the SIC's current version of 'recycling', one is laclustre at best, and the other's soundbite is ambigious and hyperboleish. The rest is just flowery waffle from Thomson randomly littered with impossible claims, who, on account of his Chair of a relevant Council committee has no choice but either talk it up, or shutup, if he wants to keep his job. His contribution couldn't be less unbiased and impartial if you tried.

How well folk have been persuaded, or not, to fill each colour coded bin they've been given, exactly as they've been told to, which is all the article concentrates on, is wholly irreleavant to the real problem anyway. That the current Council 'recycling' plan will likely consume more non-renewable resources and emit more pollution in to the environment than the one they've been using for the last 18 years.

Edited by Ghostrider

Ignoring the pontifical rat-holes that have developed in this thread, I remain hopeful that we can change behaviours in Shetland and begin to 'save the planet' in our very own, little, wee, tiny way. 

Yes, avoid buying plastic in any way you can. That, too, is a good first-step that only an individual can  take.

Please don't resist Shetland/ Scotland's efforts to recycle based on what you read/ post here.

Yes, Who Ray! for all who participate.

I'm not sure anyone has been particularly pompous or arrogant. You started a good thread which made for some good discussions with a good number of people, you should be pleased about that. Maybe you could close it off with some more context and embellishment to why people should see this as a positive step, and maybe add what initiatives the government/council will also do to ensure what they are doing is worth while.

Anyway, give all my love to Ray  :thmbsup  (just kiddin')

Ignoring the pontifical rat-holes that have developed in this thread, I remain hopeful that we can change behaviours in Shetland and begin to 'save the planet' in our very own, little, wee, tiny way. 

If I were you, I would buy a dictionary and look up the definition regarding the word, "Forum", it will teach you a lot.

Hooray, and all the rubbish that you are promoting that the S. I. C. will inflict upon the common man that costs us more and more. If you disagree, please provide proof. Then, please give us all some idea what the word "Forum" really means. Remember, this is a forum, it tells you that at the top of the page.

Edited by George.