Recycle! Positive Comments Welcome

ETLerwick

I used to try and use community skips. They were always full by the time I got to one. Far too much builders/ commercial waste in them, leaving little chance for the general public. I got a calendar of dates and locations once and turned up less than 24 hours after the skip was placed to find it virtually full of building waste, rubble, timber, plasterboard etc. Glad they're gone. Stick it in the car and drive to Gremista now. Skips were just a bonus at the time if you were lucky enough to find space in one.

They were always full by the time I got to one.

That's probably true if you live in Lerwick. I don't and neither do the other two thirds of the population. We found the skips to be worthwhile for getting rid of our rubbish. Ok, we also came across a lot of stuff in them that shouldn't have been but it was no real problem, no more than a pain in south end. They were usable though, and I know what will happen to the rubbish that is chargable - it'll be taught to swim. How useful that will prove itself to be.

Edited by George.

That's probably true if you live in Lerwick. I don't and neither do the other two thirds of the population...

I'm with the other two thirds. I'm not aware of fly tipping but maybe it is happening. Fine if you could make use of skips but sounds like we are not entitled to them as we are to normal rubbish/ bin collection. Edited by Space

I do Redd Up on the same piece of road every year and it saddens me to see the same pile of plastic crap arrive afterwards.

And then there are the tins.

Why, just why do folk do it?  I would no more throw something out of my car as rubbish than fly.  I don't have that mentality. It saddens me greatly.

We do mini Redd ups every day I am home and over the years I have noticed the following:

Monday to Thursday it is just low level stuff empty water and juice bottles, crisp and fag packets.

Fridays you will find large piles of juice bottles and tins. some sandwich boxes, sweetie wrappers that sort of thing. Usually in a place where someone can slow down or pull in.

Saturday and Sunday It is loads of empty beer tins and bottles the odd alcopop and wine bottle.

I used to try and use community skips. They were always full by the time I got to one. Far too much builders/ commercial waste in them, leaving little chance for the general public. I got a calendar of dates and locations once and turned up less than 24 hours after the skip was placed to find it virtually full of building waste, rubble, timber, plasterboard etc. Glad they're gone. Stick it in the car and drive to Gremista now. Skips were just a bonus at the time if you were lucky enough to find space in one.

Same in this area (Mossbank) you could rarely get stuff in them.

I have hired a skip a few times and it is not too expensive if you are having a clear out. But have a van now and just run the big stuff along with my recycling to the dump when I have too. So will be quite happy to get my recycling picked up.

That's probably true if you live in Lerwick. I don't and neither do the other two thirds of the population...

I'm with the other two thirds. I'm not aware of fly tipping but maybe it is happening. Fine if you could make use of skips but sound like we are not entitled to them as we are to normal rubbish/ bin collection.

Fly tipping has happened all the time man has been around and it always will to some extent, unfortunately.

The only reason that we get no skips is because the council decided to change things and make it possible to charge us for something that they didn't charge for before. We are allowed to use the skips that we used before if the council is prepared to supply them, there is no law stating otherwise, if there was then they would not have been provided or the change in law would have been told to the people. Those that believe that they are very important while doing a job** in the *hitehouse may well state otherwise but me, I'd demand proof and there is none.

But have a van now and just run the big stuff along with my recycling to the dump when I have too. So will be quite happy to get my recycling picked up.

I'm sure that works out fine for you, Mikeyboy. Unfortunately, not all of us drive so that is not applicable to all.

So will be quite happy to get my recycling picked up.

And remember, when your recycling is picked up, it is picked up at a cost. You pay the council for it now. You haven't always but I don't think that they've mentioned that, can't think why though.

^I don't agree that the council are paid to pick up every last piece. They are responsible for education/ awareness, enforcement and picking up litter, so far as is practicable. Not fair to offload the whole problem on the council. I believe there is a responsibility on the whole community not to drop litter in the first place and show good will to assist in the cleanup as its a far reaching problem. Also not wholly our fault what floats in on the tide, but sadly it becomes our collective problem.

Really, you don't believe that the council do that? I would suggest that they do. They have online a statement telling us that they do. Of course, if you don't agree you could look up their claims regarding what they do with your council tax and who pays for the essy kert to to come around.

Can you post a link George I can't find that on the SIC website.

But have a van now and just run the big stuff along with my recycling to the dump when I have too. So will be quite happy to get my recycling picked up.

I'm sure that works out fine for you, Mikeyboy. Unfortunately, not all of us drive so that is not applicable to all.

So will be quite happy to get my recycling picked up.

And remember, when your recycling is picked up, it is picked up at a cost. You pay the council for it now. You haven't always but I don't think that they've mentioned that, can't think why though.

I only speak for myself  George, saying that have always been happy to run locals stuff to the dump.

Sorry George i don't understand your last comment. You have always paid for rubbish uplift in your rates/council tax.

Read What is council tax Mikey. It shows that it is used to pay for rubbish collection, among other things.

This is the bit I am talking about George

"They are paid to pick up every last piece. They are paid to do the whole lot."

"Really, you don't believe that the council do that? I would suggest that they do. They have online a statement telling us that they do. "

Edited by mikeyboy

^Is picking up of litter/ redd up being confused with rubbish/ separated waste collection regarding charges and responsibility.

We are not being charged any extra for the bins are we? Same waste just separated and collected in a particular order. Big stuff, you have to take to the dump yourself.

Edited by Space