Recycle! Positive Comments Welcome

ETLerwick

> How do they deliver these bins? I live at the end of a long private dirt track. it will be interesting.

Maybe it will be like Tesco and you can book a delivery time to suit you.

Or perhaps they deliver them full of water, so they don't blow away before you get home and can stick them in the garage.

Would be handy if we got a letter saying they will be delivered on X date, so we can make sure someone will be around to corral them up.

A question springs to mind, who owns the bins once delivered, are they ours, can we bolt things onto them N'll that jazz ?

A national and a local government worked well enough pre '73, and the sooner we get back to that the better.

Have you forgotten what Ted Heath did to us in 1972 :?: He did it pre '73. one year pre  :?:

The preparations and plans were laid much sooner, certainly, and that's not to the credit of anyone involved, but it was 1st Jan '73 when the fuse was lit and our souls were sold with the signing off on the deal.

I'm getting pretty close to the stage now of no longer caring about who gets unloaded, EU, Westminster, Holyrood or the SIC, we just need two from the four gone as a matter of urgency.

Four tiers cost a bankrupting fortune to just maintain, and by the time they all stick their oar in to everything, a bigger dog's dinner couldn't be created if they set out specificaly to make one.

Their are two tiers that are reletive to Shetland. Firstly, Shetland going it alone. Secondly, Shetland remaining as a part of Scotland when Scotland goes it alone. They are the only things relevant to Shetland, plus of course, what James III of Scotland did to take over Shetland in 1469.

this is going to cost the council money like every hair brained scheme they come with ....i live at the end of a croft road ...i am an O A P with walking problems ..my wife is disabled ...are the council trucks going to come down my road for collection ...if not they will have to pay a home help to put bins to main road ....

Have you contacted the SIC and asked them?

I think it will cost the SIC money in as much as the increased time spent getting said wheelie bin off its fixings, dragging each bin to the lorry, emptying, dragging back and then refixing.

This whole process will take much longer than the usual black bin bag method.  I would even moot perhaps 3 times longer at each household.

> How do they deliver these bins? I live at the end of a long private dirt track. it will be interesting.

Maybe it will be like Tesco and you can book a delivery time to suit you.

Or perhaps they deliver them full of water, so they don't blow away before you get home and can stick them in the garage.

Would be handy if we got a letter saying they will be delivered on X date, so we can make sure someone will be around to corral them up.

A question springs to mind, who owns the bins once delivered, are they ours, can we bolt things onto them N'll that jazz ?

I too live at the end of a long track (albeit into the scattald).

In answer to your question, they put them over my fence by my gate, lying on their sides.  I found them there.

I think it will cost the SIC money in as much as the increased time spent getting said wheelie bin off its fixings, dragging each bin to the lorry, emptying, dragging back and then refixing.

This whole process will take much longer than the usual black bin bag method.  I would even moot perhaps 3 times longer at each household.

I think people sometimes forget there are over 5,100 wheelie bins in circulation already in Shetland, the essy kert men and women are well used to working with them.  Funny that despite over 5k bins already being used in Shetland, suddenly only NOW is the wind thought to be an issue.

I don't think that it will cost the S. I. C. a single penny. It will cost you, me and everybody else, though, and we'll see that proven in the council tax, and as they go about collecting the council tax that pays it all they will claim loudly to be doing a very important job while we pay their wages, again through council tax, income tax and all the rest of taxes that Westminster has invented.

Edited by George.

I bought a wheelie bin, but as I can find no where to tie it down as the public road some 200 yards away that it kept blowing over before the essykert arrived. So I have resorted to a black bag and the old net. The roadway is not my property so I cannot find anywhere to erect a scaffold to tie my bin to. The Banks broo beckons.

I always thought wind would be an issue.  Whether anyone chose to listen to me was a different matter!

It's going to be interesting to see just what happens when folk are expected to put their paper and say cardboard rubbish out in winter during a gale; I have visions of a quantity of it blowing away as they open the wheelie bin lid, given that you're not permitted to put any recycling rubbish into bags but instead, straight into the wheelie bins.  Then there's the tiny matter of unclipping your wheelie bin and putting it 'out' (wherever 'out' might happen to be!) prior to 7.30am even if it isn't going to be collected until say noon or later that day.  'out' might well be at a location where it cannot be secured.  So you end up with an insecure wheelie bin that might or might not blow over, it's lid might or might not blow open and before you know it, you've got paper and cardboard blowing all over the place.  What are we meant to do, not go to work in order to keep a permanent eye (if your bungee cord hasn't blinded you, that is) on said wheelie bin between 7.30am and the collection time?

i tried out the wheelie bin lid cord and almost got blinded when it snapped back and hit my head ...can see a compensation case in the near future 

> given that you're not permitted to put any recycling rubbish into bags but instead, straight into the wheelie bins.

Is that correct ?

I thought it was optional..

Is it going to be like London where they come and inspect your bins at 5am to see if they suspect you have the wrong kind of rubbish in them..

Maybe we need someone like this:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/entrepreneurs-answer-residents-stuck-bin-11189048

> the businessman, 25, is offering weekly bin collections across Rochdale after the
> council reduced its own service to just once every three weeks in a bid to boost recycling.