Recycle! Positive Comments Welcome

ETLerwick

I got da pack through the post, which also stated my bins will be delivered next week. That was over 3 weeks ago, still no bins. Spoke to the neighbours and only half of them has got the packs.

You couldna mak it up..

Have a look at yourselves.  Good grief.  If wheelie bins and having to recycle is all you have to worry about up there in Shetland you've got it bloody good.

This thread is cringeworthy to read.

Guest PJS1979

Pay for the concrete pad yourself, its very cheap to do, and is a nice little job for a fine day. Its really not a problem that you couldnt solve or get a friend to help you with.

I seen a guy on the road out to Burra today doing a little wheelie bin storage cubby very smart.

Well, a few weeks back a leaflet appeared from somewhere with a pile of blurb about 'recycling'. In it was a bit about where (they - not us who have to live with it) decreed 'bins per individual address weren't suitable' they would 'be in touch'.

Thay haven't - So when one galvanised monstrosity on wheels appeared in the neighbourhood a week past on Thursday, and a further three clones joined it on Monday, we can only assume (I hate having to do that, assume = (makes an) ass (of) u (and) me) we have been decreed to be a location where 'bins per individual address aren't suitable'. It would be nice of whoever creates their leaflets knows what in them, and those further down the chain are aware of it, and have enough respect for the clientele they are serving to actually follow through on their undertakings....but SIC!

Anyhow, they have decreed these four galvanised things are to be sited, on the pavement, taking up more than half its width for 12+ feet of its length, leaving only barely enough room for a pram, wheelchair etc to pass them without faling off the edge of the kerb. They go round a corner of the pavement too, just to make the already difficult even more so. The corner is just about the windiest spot in the neighbourhood as well, anywhere from S to W it takes the full force of whatever has blown unhindered from the eastern seaboard of the U.S. or Canada, and funnels it through a gap probably no more than 30 feet wide between a shed and a house - people get brought to a halt regularly and have to dig in their heels and fight against the wind to get round this corner in winter. Lifting large bins lids, holding them up and trying to get loose paper in the bin in those common winter conditions is going to be fun.....for anybody with a sick and twisted sense of humour who happens to see anybody trying.

If the wind gets strong enough to topple any of these, there will be damage to cars parked in the carpark at the pavement kerb, for the gap between the two is less than the height of the bins. At least almost all of the cars which park there are company owned, so the Council might take things a bit more seriously if they're being hassassed by corporate lawyers, rather than some poor sod trying to claim for a smashed headlight or grille, or a denkled bonnet on a privately owned one.

Of course, had the Council had the grace to actually communicate with local residents, or perish the throught, consult with them. They might just have found the folk who live here every day could have pointed out possible sites for these, that were the most sheltered, and created the least obstruction. But what would folk who have to deal with the shortcomings of this neighbourhood all day every day know about something like that, that some suited 'expert' sitting in an office in the toon arbitarily decreeing the 'ideal' sites for bins with a red flt tip and a map wouldn't know more, right!?!

So, fine, that same "expert" in a suit can take responsibility for when someone gets injured trying to use the bins in windy conditions, and for any damage to folks cars when they blow around or over, seeing as putting them right next to parked cars on a site they'd need to be bolted down not to move from is the 'ideal' spot, and take responsibility for sending someone to pick up whatever blows around the neighbourhood when a bin comes over and spills, or someone loses control of 'recycling' attempting the impossible to try and get it in the bin. As from the number folk complaining that they've made enquiries and asked questions about bins, only to never receive a reply, there seems no point in wasting breath trying to warn them.

A 'crash on regardless and hopefully folk will go to whatever lengths necessary to make it work once they're using them' seems to the unwritten SIC policy on this one.

As for creating any sort of standing area, anchoring points etc, even if anyone wanted to, which I certainly don't, that can't happen in this neighbourhood. Everything is Council owned, and if you so much as alter anything anywhere without first getting their permission in writing, their blood pressure immediatey flies to the roof, and they keep jumping up and down and shouting louder until you put things back exactly as they were.

Ironic really, that one of the biggest cock ups you could imagine in this whole tawdry bin saga, is on perpetrated by one Council department on property of another Council owned department.

If they can't get it set up to work at least half decent where they have full control of all contributory factors, what chance do they have of getting anything right for the general public.

Edited by Ghostrider

If they can't get it set up to work at least half decent where they have full control of all contributory factors, what chance do they have of getting anything right for the general public.

They probably have the same chance that they've always had. None, but they get away with it all the same.

> I seen a guy on the road out to Burra today doing a little wheelie bin storage cubby very smart.

Would be nice to see pictures of these designs, so we can copy the best ones ourselves.

And perhaps the council might consider copying the design and making available such units for folk..

I'm still working on my design..

I wonder how much of a carbon footprint all of this will add before recycling efforts pay it back. :-)

> had the Council had the grace to actually communicate with local residents, or perish the throught, consult with them.
> They might just have found the folk who live here every day could have pointed out possible sites for these,
> that were the most sheltered, and created the least obstruction.

FX [ Makes note in case he ever considers running for a council position.. ]

Edited by Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

> had the Council had the grace to actually communicate with local residents, or perish the throught, consult with them.

> They might just have found the folk who live here every day could have pointed out possible sites for these,

> that were the most sheltered, and created the least obstruction.

FX [ Makes note in case he ever considers running for a council position.. ]

They'd never have me.

Besides, I have neither the patience nor tolerance to put up with them.

ill be siting my bins on the pavement with anchorpoints into said pavement.....just that they have to be out on collection day well they can be there 24/7

Remember, they want them out for about 7.30 in the morning now, just enough to lose them all.

ill be siting my bins on the pavement with anchorpoints into said pavement.....just that they have to be out on collection day well they can be there 24/7

Remember, they want them out for about 7.30 in the morning now, just enough to lose them all.

The advice has always been that your refuse has to be out at 7.30, this isn't new.  Doesn't mean it will be collected then.  If your refuse has always been collected at 3.30pm for example, that's obviously going to continue.

I put my Mum's wheelie bins at the foot of her road, attached to a post with Walrus Wheelie-Bin Brackets and the bungie cord around the bottom of the bins. The essy-cart men have nicely replaced the bin in its Walrus after emptying it. Job done! No Probs. I keep trying to attach an image but no happening...

Get yourself some Walrus brackets from : SIC Recycling Centre, Frank Williamson's, Lerwick DIY, Brae Building Centre, Bixter Shop, Sandwick Baking Company, Scalloway Meat Company. And coming soon to: Final Checkout in Baltasound, Cullivoe Shop, Aywick Shop and Symbister Shop.

Edited by BGDDisco