Recycle! Positive Comments Welcome

ETLerwick

I phoned and they (sic) more or less admitted that the new communal bins in our area were not well situated and they would have to be looked at in the next few weeks. Tbh I have to drive to get to the nearest pick up point anyway and would have been happier if the gas a collection point for the village I a central point , instead of having these ugly tin boxes dotted around our beautiful rural settings

The overwheming message coming across here seems to be that between long rough access tracks, the need to construct purpose built standing areas and/or fencing to safely site them, having to add fasties to them to keep lids closed and/or stop the bins themselves vanishing, if it takes all this to make them work, these damn plastic pots on wheels simply aren't fit for pupose in a typical Shetland situation - SIC, take note! (Yeah, I'm being beyond sarcastic with that last bit).

Bins and urban locations, very broadly speaking, tend to manage most of the time, bins and rural locations the reverse happens. You'll never get a square peg to fit in a round hole, but trust the SIC to expect the rest of us to do just that.

After numerous phonecalls over the last x weeks I am still waiting for a site visit. They agree after looking at the location on their computer that there is nowhere for me to secure these bins. 

I hope they were relying on something other than Google Streetview for their decisions, a lot of Shetland is showing as it was 8 or 9 years ago.

^ no idea what he used, he didn't enlighten me. My property is hidden under a cloud on Google maps anyway....  :razz:

I'd have to drag the bin 150 yards uphill and across a cattlegrid and there is simply nowhere by the road to secure it. Even the nearest fences aren't accessible because of ditches. He asked if I could 'tie the bins to the cattlegrid' and I just said 'You are kidding, aren't you?'

I suggested I could leave the recyclables by the side of the road (under a net like my ordinary rubbish) in the purple coloured sacks the SIC provided some years ago for plastics. That would really be the easiest solution but apparently that is 'not cost effective'.  :ponders:

aehm, I think it should go into your compost heap?  :mrgreen:

....and anyway we aren't supposed to be putting paper towel into the blue bin. It says so on the leaflet I still didn't receive, but found somebody's photo online and copied it to my desktop for future reference. 

naughty naughty Frances, tsktsktsk  :rofl:

I suggested I could leave the recyclables by the side of the road (under a net like my ordinary rubbish) in the purple coloured sacks the SIC provided some years ago for plastics. That would really be the easiest solution but apparently that is 'not cost effective'.  :ponders:

Maybe those bags aren't made out of the 'right kind of plastic' to recycle. :ponders:

Nobody in the SIC has any idea about this or how its going to work,they are just hoping that us the tax payer are going to do as they tell us,Mines is all still going into the black bag and they can sort it out any way they want,How do they know who's rubbish it is when they empty the big bin into the essy cart along with abody idders in a housing scheme we 30-40 houses.  

I agree with your OH, Frances! Not being owned by a cat, I had a mental image of cat vomit being rather liquidy and already well digested.... that's the advantage of dogs: they eat theirs before you get a chance to clean up! ;) 

(sorry, slightly off topic)

If all your rubbish is in there it won't take a genius to find out who's rubbish it is.

With some folk, certainly, but unless they're going to resort to testing DNA samples, there's quite a few who they're going to have one hell of a job. Too many folk have seen the guy's on the essy kert tearing open bags and hunting through them over the years, to put anything in them that identifies anything to anyone.

You said before that "you are all for recycling".  Follow what is on the list of things to recycle and recycle that, and fire the rest in the black bag then you will be alright.  It's not rocket science.

Its not 'recycling' though, unless for the fact that's the name they've chosen to stick on it to try and con folk. Its taking a selected portion of folk's rubbish on a magical mystery tour around the country, and maybe even overseas, that will very probably consume more resources to do so than it would to create it from raw materials.

The SIC came up with the coloured bag scheme a few years ago, but seemed to come to a end soon after it started.

The SIC have had various types of bins through out the years and non of them seem to last, mind the metal "dalek" bins they came with in the late 1960s, then they started putting those gray plastic bins which were basically coal bunkers, but the lids blew open and broke on many of them, then they started with plastic wheelie bins, which you were expected to buy from the SIC, then this recycling wheelie bins.

What did folk do say pre1970? how was rubbish kept then? anyone know or remember?