Recycle! Positive Comments Welcome

ETLerwick

Who Ray! Looking forward to recycle efforts in Shetland. 

Help spread the word to locals, tourists, and everyone who can do this responsible bit, to clean up after one's-self. Let's do all we can to make this work.

Read the Shetland Times and review the SIC link that leads to the 'how-to' page, so that you can understand how to sort, manage, curb and otherwise support recycling isle-wide.

Please, let's use this thread to support the effort, answer questions, support each other -- if you want to post negative responses, please start another thread.

Thank you in advance! 

Please, let's use this thread to support the effort, answer questions, support each other -- if you want to post negative responses, please start another thread.

What a good idea, ban negative responses. That's very like telling lies and denying the truth, isn't it.

The S.I.C used to deliver skips and allow them to be filled with rubbish, be it wood, metal, stone and all the rest. That has been gone for three or four years now and all the rubbish just gets thrown out to sea. That was all caused by the council, what a good idea.

Support the lies and garbage if you want, ETLerwick. I prefer honesty.

Honesty in the S.I.C means doing nothing productive for the population of Shetland while extracting every single penny from them, but that's a good idea isn't it. Claim the S.I.C is doing a splendid job while denying the truth. A round of applause here, I think. I can't think why but I'll think all the same, yawn.

Well it looks good and starting in a couple of areas to deal with teething problems sounds good.  Council website has good information and I trust the information pack will contain the same information for those who do not have internet access at home.  Well done Zero Waste Scotland and the SIC.

Oh yes, looks really great, JustMe. Sound like there is nothing to trust but swallow it all the same.

Honesty in the S.I.C means doing nothing productive for the population of Shetland while extracting every single penny from them, but that's a good idea isn't it. Claim the S.I.C is doing a splendid job while denying the truth. A round of applause here, I think. I can't think why but I'll think all the same, yawn.

What will you recycle in your life?

As well, feel free to start  new thread to express your opinion about the SIC.

Perhaps the OP could explain how this is island-proofed in line with the legislation?

I'd like to add that it is an absolutely blindingly excellent idea for the SIC to suggest that people should not be under any risk whatsoever of taking their eye out by using bungie cords, something discouraged by safety experts; after all, it is essential that we keep the local A&E department busy and provide 'material' for the next series of Island Medics, right?

I once thought it a positive comment suggesting that the council accepts separated waste put out in a bruck box, but they didn't like that idea because they had already decided that we have to use wheelie bins. I liked the bruck box idea because I already have one and it is secure and there would be no chance of anything blowing away.

I wouldn't put a label on anything ETLerwick - it won't last long.

A colour coded guide to stick up somewhere in the house might be useful.

Is the council going to offer more suggestions about the biggest problem, securing the bins.

What about a suitable timber double wheelie bin store made locally at a reasonable price (in the same way that the Amenity Trust sold bruck boxes).

Clips and bungees will not suit everyone.

The council is pushing these bins, so should itself come up with many more positive suggestions and solutions.

ETLerwick, why are you telling people to be positive, is it because you are getting a lot of negative feedback?

ETLerwick, why are you telling people to be positive, is it because you are getting a lot of negative feedback?

Great question -- thx for asking.

In reading this forum for more than a year, it appears that there are people who post who usually, generally, nearly always post something contrary, such as describing civil servants 'box-tickers' and so forth, when responding to most any topic.

It is my goal that those of us interested in recycling in Shetland be able to use this forum for a way to share positive, constructive and make-it-happen kinda posts -- so that we can establish a new normal for Shetland, at least in terms of recycling.

I'd like to add that it is an absolutely blindingly excellent idea for the SIC to suggest that people should not be under any risk whatsoever of taking their eye out by using bungie cords, something discouraged by safety experts; after all, it is essential that we keep the local A&E department busy and provide 'material' for the next series of Island Medics, right?

If using a bungie cord is not something that interests you -- or someone you know/ care about, let's find a helpful person/ neighbor/ volunteer who can help secure the bin(s).

Would that work for you?

The council is pushing these bins, so should itself come up with many more positive suggestions and solutions.

This is a valid question -- and it may be that the pickup technology requires these bins: I don't know. 

Let's wait for someone from SIC to address your concern/ ideas.

We are getting these bins, that's for certain and I'm sure you're right about the pickup technology. Also there will be improved manual handing. It would just be good to see more suggestions/ solutions from the SIC before the bins arrive.

This is a valid question -- and it may be that the pickup technology requires these bins: I don't know. 

Let's wait for someone from SIC to address your concern/ ideas.

Perhaps you could tell us when a member of the S.I.C last addressed anything around here?

If using a bungie cord is not something that interests you -- or someone you know/ care about, let's find a helpful person/ neighbor/ volunteer who can help secure the bin(s).

Would that work for you?

No.  The disabled should not have to rely on neighbours.  Besides, we have a communal bin store within which all of the bins will NOT fit.  The SIC have a legal duty to conduct risk assessments.