fishing grounds

When I heard Tusk tonight saying that the EU should retain the status quo re fisheries I felt incandescent with annoyance.  An UNELECTED landlubber telling the people of the U.K. what to do with OUR fish!  Even though I voted against independence last time, I would, if the UK Government sell us down the swanny...AGAIN..., vote for independence next time around.  Of course, that's assuming that the Scottish Government would take their collective heads out of the Central Belt and support our fishermen.  Would they? 

Even though I voted against independence last time, I would, if the UK Government sell us down the swanny...AGAIN..., vote for independence next time around. 

They aren't likely to sell us down the swanny, they're more likely to give us away.

The "public" face of the Scottish Government will show support, but the reality will be no they won't. But it's not their fault or that of the UK government in general. Fish are just recovering from the days of over fishing, and I'm guessing this is why he hopes for, or wants, a status quo. 

Since the collapse of the cod stocks on the Grand Bank and the eventual lose of some 30,000 jobs, politicians are always more wary of how to approach the protection of stocks and the interests of fishermen.  Politicians became far more wary of allowing fishermen to do what keeps them happy. The Canadian government did nothing while Scottish (and EU ) Factory Trawlers over-fished their Cod to the point of near extinction.  Eventually they had no choice but to close the fields and it cost them dearly. It will/has taken decades of on-going recovery, the smaller communities effected will never recover. There are many more examples from the bad ol days; the 1977 herring crisis, the cod wars, the decline of other fish that are only just recovering. No sensible person would want to return to that.

When I heard Tusk tonight saying that the EU should retain the status quo re fisheries I felt incandescent with annoyance.  An UNELECTED landlubber telling the people of the U.K. what to do with OUR fish!  Even though I voted against independence last time, I would, if the UK Government sell us down the swanny...AGAIN..., vote for independence next time around.  Of course, that's assuming that the Scottish Government would take their collective heads out of the Central Belt and support our fishermen.  Would they? 

The "public" face of the Scottish Government will show support, but the reality will be no they won't. But it's not their fault or that of the UK government in general. Fish are just recovering from the days of over fishing, and I'm guessing this is why he hopes for, or wants, a status quo. 

Westminster will do nothing to help us. Remember how much of our fishing Ted Heath gave away. A huge amount of our fishing handed to the Europeans and look at the damage that has done to our fishing industry. That will probably happen again, not old Ted's fault this time but there are a lot like him. Old wee Terry May (or may not) comes to mind.

Edited by George.

The EU needs us one hell of a lot more than we need them, the sooner our politicians, whoever are, grasp that fact, take control of all that's our and turn their backs on the continentals and walk away, the sooner we'll get somewhere.

As the old Foula man was said to say about the 'Oceanic' - I'll gie it a fortnite........

If they want to eat fish, they'll have to buy from somewhere, as their own territoral waters can nowhere near being to meet demand.....Unless their car manufacturers want to dramatically dowsize their operations, the Germans, French and Italians need to sell us their cars - just look at how many Mercs, Beemers, Audis, VWs, Seats, Skodas, Pugs, Renaults, Citroens, Fiats, Dacias etc are on UK roads, and the list goes on......

The problem we have, is that we have politicians in charge everywhere in the UK, who are Europhiles as they believe it keeps their own personal gravy train running, who never considered for one second the referendum would be in favour of 'Out' - To them the concept of leaving, was as alien and unthinkable as the Pope converting to Satanism would be to Catholics. And now its happened, they haven't the first clue what to do, they're running around like headless hens trying on one hand to appear to follow through on the referendum result, but on the other panicing over where its headed for them personally, and ending up making a pig's ear of everything.

We need this bunch of wishy washy ditherers out, and folk in that believe in what they're doing and make the most of every opportunity. This lot believe Brexit will be a disaster, from their personal POV at least, and the way they're behaving is turning that in to a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not one of them could save themselves if they were on fire and they were standing alongside a six feet deep hole of water.

The EU needs us one hell of a lot more than we need them, the sooner our politicians, whoever are, grasp that fact, take control of all that's our and turn their backs on the continentals and walk away, the sooner we'll get somewhere.

The EU do not appear to need us more than we need them. We "appear" to let them float around in our waters while they strip them bare, leaving us nothing in the way of fish. Not long ago that I spotted a Spanish boat out fishing in St Magnus Bay, about half a mile offshore when they should have been twelve miles off, minimum. Nothing was done about it but Westminster wanted to stay all friendly. How long until we give our oil away? After all, what used to come through Sullom Voe now sees a huge amount going straight to Rotterdam. I wonder if they can think of an excuse - or just some lies.

Correct, my first statement makes this clear; neither Wee Nikki Crankie, Westminster nor Ireland have managed to successfully put a stop to over-fishing by European vessels, nor stopping massive black fish landings here.

The EU was willing to show strength in the Turbot war back in the 90s, sending out German gun boats to protect the interests of Spain and France, two nations who had ironically over-fished many of their own inshore crustacean stocks. We may see more of the same in the future. 

The 70s is far more difficult and certainly not simple to navigate, both British and EU industrial fishing ships were encroaching on a number of other nations fishing grounds, while at the same time, the UK wanted to be allowed into Europe, so rightly or wrongly, "sharing" the fields was a way in. 

Ironically. I'm guessing if and when independence is voted for. Wee Crankie will use the same "bribe" to allow Scotland back into Europe; A public face of support, and the reality around the negotiating table. 

Westminster will do nothing to help us. Remember how much of our fishing Ted Heath gave away. A huge amount of our fishing handed to the Europeans and look at the damage that has done to our fishing industry. That will probably happen again, not old Ted's fault this time but there are a lot like him. Old wee Terry May (or may not) comes to mind.

Not sure what you are talking about with the oil. BP made this decision on their own, and have already stated it is to cut costs and because they do not have the technology on site to clean chemicals from some of the oil returns. True or not (though can't see why they would lie), it is not a nationalised business (yet), and they do not need the approval of the Scottish or Westminster governments to make project based business decisions.......by the way, it has a mind to rain today, if your washing doesn't dry outside, it wasn't Westminster's or Holyrood's fault, blame Frey, son of Njord  :thmbsup

The EU do not appear to need us more than we need them. We "appear" to let them float around in our waters while they strip them bare, leaving us nothing in the way of fish. Not long ago that I spotted a Spanish boat out fishing in St Magnus Bay, about half a mile offshore when they should have been twelve miles off, minimum. Nothing was done about it but Westminster wanted to stay all friendly. How long until we give our oil away? After all, what used to come through Sullom Voe now sees a huge amount going straight to Rotterdam. I wonder if they can think of an excuse - or just some lies.

Not sure what you are talking about with the oil. BP made this decision on their own, and have already stated it is to cut costs and because they do not have the technology on site to clean chemicals from some of the oil returns. 

BP's decision to take the oil to Rotterdam was distinctly unfortunately and certainly not beneficial to us. Very beneficial for Rotterdam, the Netherlands and no doubt Europe will continue to benefit from it after we've left. It comes out of the sea that is closest to us and then goes away, no doubt to come back as required - at a price. To say that it is unfortunate is being courteous but no more.

We want our oil-based industry back, as we do our fish and all the rest that has been handed out for no good reason.

I agree, it's not beneficial to us, at least not in the long term.

At the same time, Holyrood has a clear vision towards a renewable energy policy which should see fossil fuels halved by 2030, it's a great way forward and offers some great business opportunities.

BP have no interest in investing heavily, they fear independence which will "more than likely"  see the nationalisation of the oil industry, and the inevitable collapse of oil revenue by 2050. But maybe it doesn't matter. As a nation, we (Scotland) spend around £70bn a year, which is around £12bn short of what we currently return in tax. Oil returns would not fill that gap in the future. It's nice extra cash, but it's not something we can use for future spending plans.

But sensible fish management, and without a return to a 70s style over-fishing,  should see us with a national resource that will last indefinitely. 

Not sure what you are talking about with the oil. BP made this decision on their own, and have already stated it is to cut costs and because they do not have the technology on site to clean chemicals from some of the oil returns. 

BP's decision to take the oil to Rotterdam was distinctly unfortunately and certainly not beneficial to us. Very beneficial for Rotterdam, the Netherlands and no doubt Europe will continue to benefit from it after we've left. It comes out of the sea that is closest to us and then goes away, no doubt to come back as required - at a price. To say that it is unfortunate is being courteous but no more.

We want our oil-based industry back, as we do our fish and all the rest that has been handed out for no good reason.

Edited by The Cutty Sark