Northlink ferries New tariff 2018

nesty

OK, many thanks all. I got a quote other day from Northlink for September. It appeared rather high.

I am keeping a look out for when new tariff, once it's finalized. I suppose with the ferry the more you book in advance better price you get? 

I do think the new tariff is a great idea. I do think many more tourists, will take up on the lower fares. to visit Shetland and Orkney! 

It's not like flying where you will get a cheaper rate. The prices are fixed within each season. The costly aspects are A) Car and B) The cabin.

If you are coming by car, have a look at car rental on the island first it might be cheaper.

Cabins are extremely small and basic considering they cost the same as a couple of nights at a travel lodge. But I've used them once or twice. If you pay extra for an outside window cabin, just ensure get on the port side from Aberdeen and starboard leaving (you will see the Islands then, otherwise you will see the sea and you've paid extra for nothing). 

You can always slum it to save on costs. Bring a sleeping bag and a pillow and just sleep in the front lounge, many islanders do this, so you will not be out of place. Bring an eye mask though, they used to turn the lights off, but I don't think they do anymore. 

If there is just a couple of you. Consider flying and car rental, it might be cheaper than a ferry+cabin+car AND you get here in an hour or so!  if you book a few months in advance, you could get a return flight for around £150.00 pp, the nearer the time, the more expensive it gets though.

OK, many thanks all. I got a quote other day from Northlink for September. It appeared rather high.

I am keeping a look out for when new tariff, once it's finalized. I suppose with the ferry the more you book in advance better price you get? 

I do think the new tariff is a great idea. I do think many more tourists, will take up on the lower fares. to visit Shetland and Orkney! 

Many thanks for the advice. I am a solo traveller. I have been lightly toying with the flying, rental car & accommodation. I do like travelling in my VW campervan. However, I am very south and have 550 miles just to get to Aberdeen. Then a ferry crossing. Holiday then starts, but then have all the travelling again to get back home! That part of the trip, doesn’t fill me with joy!

I wonder if flying renting a car and B&B might be more pricey. Tho far less stress. I will enjoy holiday more.

I might have to do some sums. The aspect of without the campervan. I would have to eat out alone (unless find self catering) and pack wisely!

For those who do not know RET stands for Road Equivalent Tariff and a version of that is meant to be in place on the Northlink ferries soon.

Meanwhile I wonder what happens to people who book now at the current advertised rates.  Will they get a refund or just end up having paid more because they booked early?.  A quick look on the Northlink website did not answer this.  I would certainly not put it past Serco to say that bookings made at the old rate pay that rate.

I have a friend who has booked from mainland to visit and paid for their trip in late may/ early June. They have raised this with Northlink. It seems no reply is forthcoming.

This is why I am holding off booking, until it's set in stone as such. Once these companies get your cash. There is no getting it back from them.