Student flats 'taking much longer than hoped'

The Cutty Sark

I doubt the UHI Shetland just attracts enough foreign students to make this worthwhile (before or after the vote to leave the EU), I'm surprised of all the campuses around the Highlands and Islands this has even been on the cards anyway. The UHI, while a great place to study, doesn't offer the "student life" that can be found in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow. The "majority" of young students from Shetland want to experience student life in Scotland and England.

The really sad thing is that a so called local organisation forced a long established local business to re-locate in favour of some English based developers who now don't appear to have the cash to proceed.

They have also taken the opportunity to remove any parking from the site by depositing some large concrete blocks over the entrance causing even more congestion on Commercial Road.

1. Does SLAP really have Shetland's interests at heart?

2. Where are the local developers who might have been interested in the original plan?

3. Is anyone going to get a serious "butt kicking" out of this fiasco?

The whole concept of a hostel built there is frankly potty, i think residential newbuild's would be a far better use of the space.

This would help to provide more badly needed social housing for LOCAL people. 

As for the mini Berlin wall laid out across to stop cars parking i think that will be there for some considerable time to come.

re-locate in favour of some English based developers who now don't appear to have the cash to proceed.

They have also taken the opportunity to remove any parking from the site by depositing some large concrete blocks over the entrance causing even more congestion on Commercial Road.

Ah the bloody English at it again!

The congestion is that bad those poor motorists are having to park on the pavements, rather than walking a few yards. They're probably English too!

Of course it's the bloody English. It's always the bloody English. The sun never set on their empire because their god didn't trust them in the dark... :twisted:

No, the sun never has set on the English empire. That's because they don't have an empire of their own, they have to share it with us lot and probably everybody else as well.

Edited by George.

Empires? Anglophobia? Welsh bashing? Invasions? I'm pretty sure I only made a point about there being no need for a student block because of a lack of foreign students. Then, I leave the room for 10 minutes and you kids just start going off bickering on some imperialist tangent. Well, that's it. There will be no treats after tea for any of you.

I aint anti Welsh, English, or Irish, but hey! why did we invite English Property Developers here in the first place?

Can't really blame the English, we invited them!

Name him!

It was the big English boys that started it, then they ran away and left us to take the blame!*

* Standard response to any problem on the planet.....