EE Mobile Phone coverage

Rasmie

I get a reasonable signal from Vodafone, which is carried by EE at present and I catch most of it from Collafirth, but it's only 3g. The way things are going, I'll be getting the last of my pension when 4g becomes available around here. As for 5g, we'll be dead and buried before it even gets talked about.

Edited by George.

I'm with EE, and living in the North Isles I get very patchy coverage. There's no 3G, just 2G, which is basically the same as dial-up internet. Remember that!?! Very poor. Last summer there were a few engineers up at the mast on the hill and they were apparently installing 4G enabled equipment. Sadly, they've been unable to get it working so we're still on 2G. Things came to a head early last year when I was expecting an important phone call and the mast lost signal (a very common occurrence here, annoyingly) for the best part of a week. I do have a BT landline but I'm ex-directory and don't give out my home number. I was on the phone to EE and got them to agree to send me a signal box for free as I'm on a contract and the many times the local network has gone down is frankly bordering on the ridiculous. Most of the isles have no coverage from my experience, but EE does seem to be the best overall.  

Vodaphone and O2 are always your best bet, I think EE use their own network and not an MVNO (piggy backing on another service, Tesco use O2 for example), so there will be less coverage than the former two.

It also depends where you are, some places will only offer 2g. Be aware, that coverage maps tend to only show where a signal was used, not that it was a great signal. If I'm on Whalsay for example, and use my phone in some weird position, on top of a building and wearing a tin hat on my head which allows me enough signal to shout, "the ferry is late", then that will be registered in the coverage records.

Edited by The Cutty Sark

They normally share masts in remote places. But this will not change what a provider will offer in frequency ranges, and its the frequency that matters. I guess Vodaphone has the best coverage purely because of the frequency ranges it provides. Of course, if the powers that be shift themselves and make 4G available everywhere, then it won't matter because this runs at 800MHz on all provider networks. Though with 5G around the corner, maybe they will skip this and just wait for 5G.

• 4 weeks later...

If you decide on EE, then you might as well go to Virgin, who use EE infrastructure, as it will be cheaper.  There were some good deals to be had, such as a contract for a fiver with 500 minutes and texts I believe, but if you are already a Virgin customer you won't get the deal.  EE didn't like me doing 8GB a month of the 10GB of data that I had paid for.

It is a fairly common occurence for their to be no capacity left on the cell to be able to make a call where I am in the north mainland.  It's probably those gits with the data packages slurping the bandwidth.

I work in town and there is no EE signal in the office except if I go to a window from where I can see the Bressay tower.

All the mobile providers are crap.  It's just a case of finding the least crap, but they do take it in turns to be the most crap, in a random order and at random times.

Edited by BigMouth

• 4 weeks later...