Using a Freeview box in Vidlin

ng7627

Just wondering if anybody is able to use a Freeview box in Vidlin successfully.  We have Sky at the moment as it is the only way we could get a picture on the television but the costs are rocketing and have just gone up again.  Was considering changing to Freeview but unsure if it would work.  Thanks.

I don't live in Vidlin but have just got rid of Sky.  I use Freeview but can't receive HD when there is an easterly wind. 

I bought a Humax recorder box that has Freeview play (which you will get on all new SMART tvs) and I can watch all the major channels on the tv through the internet when I want, with no need for an ariel.  You can also sign up for Netflixs etc through this. The only thing I miss out on are films, not many of them appear on the Freeview play channels (bbc iplayer, itv hub, stv, Channel 4, you play etc).

I am not missing Sky though unsubscribing, even though I didn't have a contract, and it didn't work was a nightmare!

Just wondering if anybody is able to use a Freeview box in Vidlin successfully.  We have Sky at the moment as it is the only way we could get a picture on the television but the costs are rocketing and have just gone up again.  Was considering changing to Freeview but unsure if it would work.  Thanks.

If in doubt get a freesat box, this receives its signal through your satellite dish, and will give you more channels then free view, plus you can buy a recording version. I used one for years before going back to sky, but with the way sky’s prices are going I might get myself another freesat box shortly. Where I am freeview through an arial is poor and you get a lot less channels then they get in the town.

Just to confirm that a freesat box is a good alternative if you already have sky as it works with the same dish, you can simply plug the box into the same leads as your sky box was plugged into.  I dumped Sky a few years ago and never looked back.   I think our box was about £200 for a recording version with loads of space on it .

We don't even watch freesat anymore. Netflix, Amazon prime and BBC iPlayer have replaced it.  The best part is that I haven't seen an advert for ages.

I have FreeSat and also have a Roku NowTV box (Sky) and pay £6.99 for the Sky Entertainment package and £9.99 for Sky Movies a month. I also have Amazon Prime/Fire TV Stick with costs about  £80 a year but I also get unlimited music streaming and downloads with that, so have lots of music on my mobile and uses the Bluetooth function in my car's infotainment system to play it through the car speakers. I also get unlimited free delivery when I buy stuff on Amazon. 

• 3 months later...