Butteries

Windwalker

Decided to have a treat and bought a packet of 6 butteries, used to love them years ago, but had to watch the waist line.

Sadly I was disappointed as the inside of the buttery was more like the inside of a roll rather than the flaky texture I remember, and I didn’t think they tasted anything like the butteries I remember. Malcolmsons used to make a buttery that came close to the Aberdeen ones, which were real butteries.

Is it just me thinking things were better in the past or has the buttery changed beyond recognition.?

I don't know about the butteries, but in general I agree.

'64 - '79 was good with maybe the exception of '70 - '74

'79 - '97 was abysmal

'97 - '10 was a slight improvement

'10 - present day... really falling apart (Brexit, Windrush, Grenfell, NHS, Plastic, Abuse, Scandals, Royal Wedding)

:-)

After years avoiding them, due to not being as good as they once were, I would say the Waas ones are better than any I have ever eaten.

The new owner certainly made huge improvements to all their wares and after his sad and untimely passing, the business seems to be maintaining the higher standards he set.

Be good if someone could mak a rite sassermaet again as weel!

Is it just me thinking things were better in the past or has the buttery changed beyond recognition.?

Almost all bread these days is buggered. Different ingredients (some driven by cost factors, others by the 'this isn't good for you or that isn't good for you' Govt imposed culture, different preparation methods, different baking techniques and different handling and packaging has combined to create hellery.

Read ingredients lists, especially for 'sooth' bread....White loaf and buns.....Vinegar....Palm Oil....Sugar...... No, just no.

Fresh food, especially bread, needs to breathe, not be sealed in plastic, and it needs eaten very fresh.

Until bakers throw away their electric mixers and go back to preparing everything by hand, go back to baking with real fat and throw away all the chemicals that stop the bread going off, electric ovens with dry heat and no through venting of fresh air are gone and ovens heated by fire are brought back, your loaf or buns etc are only bagged up when you buy them over the counter, and you buy and eat bread the day it was baked, we're stuck with the dry, tasteless skyumpies (if you're lucky - since starting using vinegar sooth bread tastes like they're used sour yeast and makes you gag, and since local bakeries starting using palm oil, their bread stinks absolutely rank...).

Edited by Ghostrider

^ Much as I really don't want to get in to the hassle and mess of home baking, I'm slowly coming round to thinking about maybe at least giving it a try.....Ever since local bakeries succumbed to using palm oil, getting a whiff of something similar to what I would imagine came out of King Tut's tomb when the seal was broken everytime you open a bag of buns, is getting old real fast.

Edited by Ghostrider

I have baked my own bread for years and simply could not go back to shop bought. 

Home baked bread is not only cheaper than shop bought, it is also much healthier. I bought an electric grain mill from the continent several years ago and buy organic wheat and rye in 25 kg bulk and just mill fresh what I need for each batch baking. This way it keeps all the vitamins and minerals and they are not lost to deterioration by environmental factors (mainly contact with air). It also keeps all the natural wheat kernel, bran and fibre which has to be removed from commercially milled flour as it would greatly reduce the shelf life and make the flour go rancid too quickly. That is why they need to add extra vitamins, minerals and 'flour improver', because they take all the goodness out of it in the first place. 

Plus of course you can add your own ingredients to your taste like linseed, millet, sunflower seeds etc. 

Can't beat the smell of freshly baked bread!

(in fact, I'll be starting up a Honesty Box soon and fresh bread and rolls will be included along home made jams and other goodies.  :razz: )