Cycle path costs

Maybe something for the community at Hoswick gets a more favourable quote than the COuncil would get.

Or maybe the money is coming out of a different fund so they ramp up the price because it is coming out of a school project half paid for with the Scottish Government ?

I don’t think it’s as simple as applying a cost per mile/kilometre or whatever. From what I understand the land for the Hoswick one was gifted and the whole project was volunteer-led. Different gradients, different ground conditions, the legals and costs involved in buying ground from multiple landowners etc could also make two seemingly similar projects very different cost-wise.

To be honest, I’m surprised that this has even been suggested as an idea. I’m all for the council doing stuff to encourage cycling (and its good to see how many folk are nowadays) but neither the Black Gaet or the Brig O Fitch are the M8. Surely all that’s needed is a bit of mutual respect between drivers and cyclists to allow everybody to safely use the road?

Would be nice if they built a lot more paths. Halfway between Hillswick and Urafirth is the school but there is no path for pedestrians or cyclists between the places, so what do they do? They send out a wee van to pick up all the kids because it's too dangerous to walk or cycle to school and back.

Don't worry, though. It gives a van driver a job, and it gives them something else to do with your council tax.