Transporting small dog to Shetland

Thinking about bringing over a small dog from Aberdeen and wanted a little advice please.

We've never taken our own dog off Shetland and I'm wondering what the 'kindest' way to travel would be?

Appreciate the boat is somewhat calmer at this time of year so kennels maybe fine but it's a long night for them (and us!) I wasn't aware until recently that you could bring dogs over on the plane but they he would need to be in a crate in the hold.  This would be quicker but not sure on the stress level, noise etc.

Appreciate any advice from folk that have used either/both methods, thanks.

A couple of years ago we brought a wee cat up on the boat. The cat spent the night in a cage with a bit of food and water to keep it going, and we could go down to see it now and again so it knew that it wasn't alone. The wee one wasn't overjoyed at the trip but it was ok. Would happily do it again.

Dogs travelling by air have to be at least 12 weeks old and not all breeds can fly so it would depend upon the breed of dog (for example, short snouted breeds can experience breathing difficulties).  The cost has increased to £50 according to their website but I think I read about this being £100 albeit that might be FlyBe (it used to be £10).  They have to be in an approved crate (British Airways have a good guide on their website regarding size and space required for your particular four-legged friend).  They can only fly if there is space in the hold.  It used to be that they could not fly unaccompanied.

Northlink is horrendous.  The kennels are on the car deck and it is noisy.  You can only exercise them at the will of the security staff (some of whom are superb, others aren't) and then it's fine if you can carry your mutt up the open staircases, not so good if dog too large to carry and has an aversion to open stairs and gets spooked.  On average, you'll get down to exercise them once during the journey.  It's worthwhile speaking to the vet or alternatively, whack a herbal equivalent from Boots (Valerian) down their gob to help with anxiety ... just don't tell Boots it is not for human consumption!  Don't feed them too much before the journey.

If you can afford it and depending upon the breed, I'd be inclined to say flying is less stressful.  Good luck!

Thanks for the responses folks.  No problem age wise as he's 3 but he's a pug so they may say possible breathing problems in plane :-(

I've never rated the kennels and I know many now leave in the car but he won't be used to us so it will be alien environment.  I know friends have used sedatives before which may be a kinder option.

Quick update on this.  I spoke to Logan Air, they no longer take squishy face dogs on their planes.  The lady was very helpful and honest, she said she wouldn't advise taking any dogs on the plane as the hold gets so cold it's stresses them out!

We brought our pug back on the boat in the kennels.  As expected not impressed but it was the only option.  Noisy and. to pleasant at all.  he was good as gold and seemed to cope with it very well so we were very relieved.

I've spoken to many people since who are all saying they leave their dogs in the car wherever possible as they're more confirmable in known surroundings.