Littering (that's a polite term)

Claadehol

Seems strange there's a whole lot of emphasis put on the fantastic efforts made during the

springtime clean up if kids are allowed to litter all over the school. Well, maybe it doesn't

happen now, what I witnessed was some years ago.

I wonder if there are any ex teachers from the Anderson who would like to comment on what I

witnessed, they must have seen it.

Maybe there are some present day teachers at the Anderson who can tell us that there is a better

school policy now, and are happy to condemn the lax attitude of a previous head.

Whatever happened to the good old "slap upside the head" ?

One of the few good things to come out of the new high school is the massive reduction of litter on Commercial Street.

Maybe it's time that "not making a mess of the planet" was added to the school curriculum ?

One of the few good things to come out of the new high school is the massive reduction of litter on Commercial Street.

The mess has now been transferred to Lochside and up to Tesco’s.

If pupils wore a uniform whether you identify a particular student or not, students would be representing the school when out and about, and the whole school should be spoken to.

Although whether they wear a uniform or not should not really matter, if you are sure they are from AHS, a good caring head teacher would ensure their students do not litter in public or indeed anytime and remind students the consequences of littering inside or outside school.However the attitude of the AHS seems to be, even though it’s during school hours, if it’s off school property they cannot do anything about it, even though they are acting locum parentis.

If certain students are caught, maybe time s to ban these students out at break times.

I know when the AHS was at the old location, then at dinner times the whole south end road was full of litter and there was empty juice bottles etc floating in the sea at Bain's beach. There used to be a SIC? worker that would go by every day at the back of 2pm picking up the litter they left behind.

Changed days at the school now. One dinner time a group of bairns had been annoying Whalsay Willie, He went to the central school to complain then the headmaster George W Blance lined all the boys up in the playground for Whalsay Willie to identify the culprits.

The mess has now been transferred to Lochside and up to Tesco’s.

If pupils wore a uniform whether you identify a particular student or not, students would be representing the school when out and about, and the whole school should be spoken to.

Although whether they wear a uniform or not should not really matter, if you are sure they are from AHS, a good caring head teacher would ensure their students do not litter in public or indeed anytime and remind students the consequences of littering inside or outside school.However the attitude of the AHS seems to be, even though it’s during school hours, if it’s off school property they cannot do anything about it, even though they are acting locum parentis.

If certain students are caught, maybe time s to ban these students out at break times.

Where's the bods from Environmental Health handing out fixed penalty notices for every crisp packet, fag packet ans sweetie paper, it shouldn't matter who it is or where they're from they should be getting their ticket if they do it. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel by the sounds of things.

But, oh yeah......SIC staff lunch hour......Couldn't possibly mess with that, even for a nice little earner.

Edited by Ghostrider

They may not be able to legally handout fines for under 16s, but if you can fine a parent for a child not going to school, fine the parent for the child dropping litter or the school,as they’re responsible for the students during this time period. Seems like no one wants to take moral responsibility, child, parent or the school alike.

As for the council lunch hour funny how if you ring up any department in the council between 12 - 2pm whoever you want to talk to is always on their lunch hour. Funny their lunch HOUR is always 2 hours long.

I recall speaking to a janitor at the Anderson high school some years ago. I was doing a job thereand the bell rang, then all the kids came out to the tuck shop. They stood around in groups eatingcrisps and drinking juice, etc. then finally the bell rang again and they all dispersed.I was astonished to see everywhere where the kids were standing was a mess of crisp packets sweetpapers, etc. It had just been dropped at their feet.I spoke to the janitor: "Does this happen every day?" He replied: "yes, we have to clean it up!"Apparently, when the janitor had first started, he tried to tell a young lad to pick up somethinghe had thrown on the floor. The lad replied: "I'm not picking it up, that's your job!" The janitorhad tried to force him to pick it up and wound up being reprimanded. So he just accepted the factthat the pupils could do as they wished. No wonder they threw stuff around on the street.I wonder if the pupils do the same now in the new school.....

Slightly off the subject, several years ago I witnessed Anderson High School pupils deliberately throwing chips into the road for the gulls to get hit by vehicles. I reported this to the head teacher as soon as I could. The reply was that because I couldn't identify the exact culprits that nothing could be done. My view on this is that the whole school should have been addressed on this subject at an assembly so as to put them on warning. I'm fairly sure this is how a similar incidence would have been handled when I was at school (I left in 1980). I also think a complaint from any adult would have been taken more seriously then. It's a shame the janitor didn't complain to the head teacher straight away but then again maybe he felt it wouldn't be dealt with seriously? Cleaning (& yes I know that is not all that janitors do) is often thought of as a lowly task, but consider how much more inefficient & time consuming most work places would be if they were not cleaned, bins not emptied etc. The attitude that the kids at the school displayed didn't come out of thin air, everybody in their lives that has influence on them clearly didn't get the message through to them about not littering. All teaching staff, particularly the head, should be aware of what is happening in their school. I would find it hard to believe they have never witnessed the mess before the janitor has had a chance to clear it up. If the kids are not spoken to about it even in general terms then the message they are getting is that the school condones it. Unfortunately I have seen plenty of adults too who think that just because they are in a public building with hired cleaning staff that it is acceptable to leave the sort of mess in their wake that they would probably have an issue with if someone did likewise in their homes. Cleaners usually have more than enough work cleaning up unavoidable mess like the muck that can be trudged in on people's feet or accidental mess like a spillage. Deliberately or carelessly dropping litter & untidyness is a selfish waste of the cleaners time. I guess you can tell I feel strongly about this subject!

Should have got some pics on your phone and taken them to the school

This topic seems to have turned into a bashing the kids thread. Believe me very few of those kids are throwing their empties and fag packets out of car windows every day. The wife just cleared a bit of roadside I only cleared a few weeks ago and filled a bag in less than a mile.

" 17 plastic bottles , 15 drinks cans , 5 glass bottles. 5 fag packets various plastic food packages , crisp bags a lighter , Coffee cups and lids a bit of rope and bits of cars. All this on one side of the road , less than a mile and there was loads more . I only had one bag. "

Edited by mikeyboy

Maybe ok for adult litter droppers, but can they legally hand out penalty notices to under 16 year olds?

I think that you might find that SIC employees cannot legally(?) do anything to anyone as they might not have the authority(?) to demand names and addresses, or anything else for that matter.

This topic seems to have turned into a bashing the kids thread. Believe me very few of those kids are throwing their empties and fag packets out of car windows every day. The wife just cleared a bit of roadside I only cleared a few weeks ago and filled a bag in less than a mile.

It's not just "bashing" kids but, a lesson learned at that age should be a "life lesson" so that when they are old enough to start drinking, smoking, and driving ect. they might behave a little more responsibly.

Someone mentioned earlier that they do not drop litter at home so, why should they do it elsewhere.

Maybe ok for adult litter droppers, but can they legally hand out penalty notices to under 16 year olds?

I think that you might find that SIC employees cannot legally(?) do anything to anyone as they might not have the authority(?) to demand names and addresses, or anything else for that matter.

Apparently they can hand out tickets to anyone 8 years old and over, which is the age of criminal responsibility.

Only thing is, there is no mechanism to collect fines from those not yet 'adult' (whatever age that is now.....the waters have been muddied) if they don't pay up voluntarily. Which probably says more about those writing and passing the statutes we're supposed to observe than anything else.

Edited by Ghostrider

're mikeyboy's post at 6:52am

I know I didn't have a phone with me that day, it was probably about eight years ago & in fact it might have been just before I got the only mobile phone I've ever purchased & still use, a museum piece! The kids I witnessed will be young(ish) adults now & if the importance of not littering was not got through to them (& the particularly cruel way they were doing it that day as I've said in my post) then they could well be amongst the far too many adults that are still littering. In fact they might even be already raising another generation of litter droppers! It is a problem that needs to be addressed from all angles.