Arming the police

Arming the old Bill would be fine, if the old Bill could be trusted implicitly, and the statutes they enforce were written with the rights of all and the good of all in mind, rather than for the polictical motivations of the majority party in whatever parliament they're created....

I don't understand why anyone would feel "reassured" and "protected" by the sight of armed police.  Like the one who didn't open fire on the nutter shooting tourists on the beach in N. Africa.

Also, it's not as if they offer a personal service and are unlikely to be there as things "kick off".

Issuing police with any kind of weapon is for the protection of the police only.  Anyone else "protected" is a bonus.

I think that the only way to feel safe(?) is to take some responsibility for your own safety.  It's been said before but, would people prefer to "die on their feet or, live on their knees".

If Scots Law and Scottish police are not yours what is?

I'm not a Scot, and I don't believe Shetland has any place being part of Scotland.

Much as I abhorr Calamity's antics and attitude, underneath it all he has a point, Scots anything in Shetland is simply an invading force for a long time we didn't have the means to evict, and since we've had the means, we've not had the balls to evict.

Scots law and the Scottish Police got here by force, and force is sole reason they remain here and we have to put up with their shenanigans.

Edited by Ghostrider

I think that the only way to feel safe(?) is to take some responsibility for your own safety.  It's been said before but, would people prefer to "die on their feet or, live on their knees".

The Police's first loyalty is to themselves, individually and collectively, their second loyalty is to the state that employs them, and any benefit to the public is largely coincidental to achieving that second loyalty.

They're fine and well (sort of) for extricating revenge/retribution after the fact, but if you're calling them to rely on them to ensure your safety when something is blowing up, you'd be making much more productive use of that call by making it to Goudie's in the Old Gibbie Bain for your box instead.

I'm not a Scot, and I don't believe Shetland has any place being part of Scotland.

As I'm sure you know, Shetland has been a part of Scotland since 1469,unlike Scotland which did not become part of the Union between itself and England until 1707. There have been problems between Scotland and Shetland the whole way through but luckily they have been less than the problem found between Scotland and Enland, or Scotland and Britain, or Scotland and Westminster either.

Shetland has maybe been part of Scotland since 1469, according to those Scots who by whatever means were running Scotland, whether Shetlanders agreed, or agree yet that Shetland is part of Scotland is a very different matter, and I daresay the same or similar scenario applies to Scotland and England. I know next to nothing of the issues between Scotland and England, and don't want to know, as I don't see those as any of my business or in any way relevant to Shetland or Shetlanders. We shouldn't be tacked on to Scotland in the first place, so whatever problems Scotland has with others should be their problems, not ours.

Two issues though that Scots raise time and again is that Westminster is "too remote" from Scotland to govern adequately and fairly, and that with only circa 10% of MP's representing Scotland, English will will always be exerted over Scotland in issues of direct competition, and I undestand and sympathise with their point. However, the self same argument holds water between Shetland and Scotland, London is 400 miles give or take from Edinburgh and Westminster is dominated and run by and for 'middle England' which has not much in common with the majority of Scotland and Scots, Edinburgh is 400 miles give or take from Shetland and run by and for the Central belt, which has equally little in common with Shetland and Shetlanders.

At least Scots have 10% give or take of Westminster MPs shouting in their corner, we only have not a lot over 0.5% of MSPs shouting ours in Holyrood.

Two issues though that Scots raise time and again is that Westminster is "too remote" from Scotland to govern adequately and fairly, and that with only circa 10% of MP's representing Scotland, English will will always be exerted over Scotland in issues of direct competition, and I undestand and sympathise with their point. However, the self same argument holds water between Shetland and Scotland, London is 400 miles give or take from Edinburgh and Westminster is dominated and run by and for 'middle England' which has not much in common with the majority of Scotland and Scots, Edinburgh is 400 miles give or take from Shetland and run by and for the Central belt, which has equally little in common with Shetland and Shetlanders.

Yes, Scotland is, in my opinion, too remote from the wee WasteMonster for it to be of any use at all, although the rubbish down at the south end of England have never complained about the money that they leech off us from that is made out of oil and gas. Shetland is the farthest northerly part of Scotland, which gives even more justification regarding Shetland going indy. Shetland going indy would immediately get rid of Britain, and their regality, as a whole. Carmichael and Tavish would also have to prove their use, so that's them gone.

It all suggests that Christian I goofed, big style.

Edited by George.

As I'm sure you know, Shetland has been a part of Scotland since 1469,unlike Scotland which did not become part of the Union between itself and England until 1707. There have been problems between Scotland and Shetland the whole way through but luckily they have been less than the problem found between Scotland and Enland, or Scotland and Britain, or Scotland and Westminster either.

According to this Scotland annexed Shetland in 1669 not 1469 .http://www.rps.ac.uk/search.php?action=print&id=38552&filename=charlesii_trans&type=trans

Edited by redrobbie

According to this Scotland annexed Shetland in 1669 not 1469 .http://www.rps.ac.uk/search.php?action=print&id=38552&filename=charlesii_trans&type=trans

It ignores the fact that King Christian 1 of Norway pawned Shetland to King James 111 of Scotland, so that Christian could afford to marry his daughter Margret to James 111. The pawn payments were never accepted in repayment, resulting in Shetland becoming part of Scotland at the said time.

James III, King of Scots 1460 – 1488

Shetland

Edited by George.

Apparently the pawning document contains a clause which states  the Danish crown can redeem Shetland for 460 lLB of gold  or  5090 lLB of silver . Not sure how much that would be worth in todays money https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Shetland

Gold at present is worth about £970 an ounce. For 460 lb of gold, that works out at about £7,139,000. James 111 never offered a penny.

Apparently the pawning document contains a clause which states  the Danish crown can redeem Shetland for 460 lLB of gold  or  5090 lLB of silver . Not sure how much that would be worth in todays money https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Shetland

Gold at present is worth about £970 an ounce. For 460 lb of gold, that works out at about £7,139,000. James 111 never offered a penny.

Sounds like a perfect use  of £7,139,000 of the SCT funds to me - a whole lot wiser an investment than god knows how many tens of millions in a crowd of windmills that relies on a (theoretically) ever dwindling pool of diesel generation power users paying a premium to bankroll the subsidy to make the windmills turn anything anywhere close to profit.