Arming the police

The increase in number of weapons that the Police carry is directly proportional to how much the system has failed to keep us safe. The Police are part of that system.

We are only a few steps away from the para-military style police force the yanks have.

We are also fed a load of sprootle about the law, mostly by the media. It is not illegal to carry a folding, non-locking knife with a blade that does not exceed 3 inches. You would be foolish carrying one in a place that served alcohol or whilst drunk though.

Surely you can disperse a few rowdy drunks or get them under control or handcuffed, with pepper spray if all else failed. On Shetland tasers would be going way over the top here.

I take it Police here use pepper spray when absolutely necessary, or is it hardly used and if that is the case do really need tasers then here?

I wonder how polite, courteous and understanding George would be if placed in situations many

police are put in every weekend. Faced with drunken idiots fighting with each other, then having

a go at police when they intervene. Foul mouthed imbeciles chanting and taunting those that they

view as the enemy simply because they represent law and order. Refusing to listen to reason then

kicking and lashing out at the officers when they are detained.

Oh yes! I'm sure George would be able to handle the situation just by talking and reasoning with

these individuals, exercising his high level of social skills to such a degree that the situation

is under control immediately.

Or is George on the other side perhaps, he seems to despise the law for some reason. Seems to

think everything is the fault of the state, no onus to be placed on the individual who wants to

do as he pleases.

A pity we need tasers or pepper spray, but that's not the fault of the police. The future looks

bleak for this country, it's a worry!

Brochbuilder you seem to live in a lovely insulated little world, I hope it continues that way for you. However those who live in the real world can vouch that MOST police treat those their meant to defend with contempt. When a simple warning would suffice, these officers bring the full weight of the law down on people, talk and treat them like dirt. This just makes people turn against the police, not just the people directly involved but family and friends too. This in turn looses the respect of the public and erodes our faith in the system set up to "Help us". 

I will concede that there are some very, very good officers. I've had dealings with some and this few certainly help make up for the many. We just need more good officers and weed out the bad. In my findings, however, if we disposed of all the bad officers in one go there wouldn't be enough good ones left to guard a palace pisspot!

You also make your points over and over again as in your last post. I spent some time in the forces and saw action a few times. I don't complain or make a big deal of it - IT'S WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR!!! Just as those who serve in the police. If that part of the job is too much for them THEY ARE IN THE WRONG JOB. It's like your justifying how they treat people and are perceived by many (read other articles and there are more against the police than for them.) because of the lower, base tasks they have to perform. To me that just proves that type of officer is not mentally suited to the career they've chosen. When you join the police you should already understand a few things, you'll have long periods of boredom, the very people you want to help sometimes won't want it, sometimes you'll see and experience things civvies tucked up at home won't ever comprehend, and it's a thankless job most of the time. If that's not for you or after joining you feel the urge to take these things out on others find another job!

Every time someone says something against the police you say " he seems to despise the law for some reason. Seems to

think everything is the fault of the state." or something similar. People who have weak arguments usually fall back on this type of narrative. It's a mildly clever way of trying to make one feel guilty for comments they make so they back off. 

Well said, Brochbuilder, and with dignity too. I always like to see both sides of an argument laid down. We should never be closed off to other opinions and ideas. It is up to us, as individuals, to read and hear others arguments and decide whether we feel them relevant or indeed logical. Only two things in Human existence have created change...      ...Talking and conflict, unfortunately most change has been created through conflict. I'd always prefer talking, personally with fighting as a very last resort. 

I personally don't see the need to arm ALL police officers, but agree that a few well trained, and well vetted officers should carry firearms. I said that in my first post on this subject. I have personally seen too many police officers acting brutishly toward members of the public, to believe that the majority are trustworthy enough to be given such powers.

However I welcome your views.

Thankyou for that Audi, and I'll go along with you on that. As I said I've been hauled in in the

past but never blamed the police for that.

I knew what I was doing and so did they, but it certainly wasn't their fault I got pulled. They

were just doing their job as far as I was concerned, I took a chance and got caught, my fault

entirely.

Why some find it necessary to cause a ruckus and bad feeling when it's their behaviour at fault, I

fail to understand.

CCTV cameras and mobiles are doing a good job exposing the morons on both sides of the fence in all

sorts of situations and that's got to be good.

Some seem to see the cameras as a big brother thing, intrusive, etc. etc. But hey! I don't care if

they want to video me buying underpants in a chain store or staggering home from the pub if it helps

to keep the streets safe.

The hoodlum can't lie convincingly if he's on video and neither can anyone else.

That’s the thing we are talking about on Shetland, where the police do not need tasers. Unlike on some areas of the mainland, inner cities and where violent crime happens on a regular basis and not a scuffle here and there.

Honestly how many really serious injuries are there to the police on Shetland without any exaggerations?

Most they will need a taser for, is for the seagulls for trying to get your chips, and your more likely to get attacked by seagull.

That’s the thing we are talking about on Shetland, where the police do not need tasers. Unlike on some areas of the mainland, inner cities and where violent crime happens on a regular basis and not a scuffle here and there.

Honestly how many really serious injuries are there to the police on Shetland without any exaggerations?

Most they will need a taser for, is for the seagulls for trying to get your chips, and your more likely to get attacked by seagull.

Agree. Per the article it definitely needs a risk assessment. The article stats, which attempt to justify it, offer little insight. 17 assaults in the last year which include emergency workers (who presumably won't be armed so why count them?). A push can be classed as an assault. So removing those two groups how many serious incidents are actually left?

Also not forgetting that tasers have killed, and police, like any human, are capable of bad decisions.

Mistakes? The man with the Samurai sword, who turned out to be deaf and blind, so he got a good tasering when he didn’t stop at the police request, mainly because he was deaf and had his back to them walking away. Police by consent is slowly becoming police by force.

I think in the above scenario you could only use a taser in that case.

There is no way of talking down such a person, you certainly would not need 5 trained police officers for such a case on Shetland and would be so rare.

I guess you could wait for him to stop thrashing around and then hit his sword hand with a long stick, or something along those lines, he’s blind , he’s not going to see it coming or hear you.