Commuting from Yell to Brae.

I was wondering if anyone could give us any advice regarding if commuting from Yell to Brae 4 days a week is viable?

We are due to move to Shetland in August, so I can start a nursing job based initially based at Brae. Our small problem is that we would love to live on Yell (we've visited a number of times) but realise that travelling as a tourist and doing the commute 4 days a week will be totally different.

I realise that we'd have to factor in the cost of ferry travel and consider what would happen in very bad weather but is it something people manage regularly? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yes very viable, many people do this. The Yell ferry doesn't take long. Weather is just a factor that employers understand on Shetland, "It Happens" so to speak, though its not often they cancel the Yell ferry. The drive from Toft to Brae is not too bad (15-18 miles maybe?). though a dark one in Winter of course! You would probably want to block book your ferry place, though outside of the summer season I can't imagine you'd have a problem getting on board. Yell has fine people and some great activities through the summer.

its important to note in winter the ferry can be cancelled. you may be lone working and some patients will be time sensitive. you will be working either christmas day or new years day not sure the ferry sails. its going to cost £13.60 per day.  

Yes, it's perfectly possible to commute from Yell to Brae.  If you know which ferry you need to be on, it's a good idea to book if it's peak time.  Travel delays are possible anywhere you live, and although it's frustrating when the ferries are off, it's not really any worse than commuting on mainland UK, with motorway delays, traffic jams, trains cancelled etc. 

it will normally be between 8.30 and 4.30 however it can be upto 9.30pm with on calls overnight that must be reached within 2 hours. there will be weekend working and bank holidays work.  just as a new person to shetland it may be better to stay in the north of the mainland and once sure your staying then move to yell. 

Buy a book of tickets, it's a lot cheaper.

The ferry very rarely cancels all day, early morning runs are the first casualties in winter as it's difficult for the skippers to assess conditions. If there is bad weather closing in through the day then they'll go down to single ferry and leg it backwards and forwards until they have to cancel.

Most employers have no issues with people leaving a bit earlier because of ferry disruption, but it would be wise to have a few B&B numbers on your phone. But in all the years I've been commuting between Yell and mainland I've never been caught out and got stuck.

I have a car on each side, bear in mind that will cost you apx £1800 pa in car ferry fees. That would easily pay for a runabout. 

The drive and ferry is completely stressless, in fact it's a bit baffling as to why some people believe commuting to mainland is a big deal.....