Best pub in Lerwick?

rebel21

Best place to go for a pint in Lerwick?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Best place to go for a pint in Lerwick?

• Marlex
    • Flints
    • Legion
    • Da Noost
    • Lounge
    • Baroc
    • Thule
    • Mooney's Wake
    • Other

I have good memories of downstairs in Mooneys years ago. Always seemed to be a kind of cosy madness going on. Whats it like there now?

Yes, downstairs Excelsior was as good a pub as any I've come across. I'm talking circa 1994+ here before it was altered beyond recognition. Shame. Damn shame!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Wheesht. Almost every bar in town that had something going for it has been f*****d up by the owners. Thule, Queens, Excelsior, the list goes on. And the Lerwick Hotel (snug or pigs' bar) usd to be good and the owner went and closed da thing down, allegedly because it was "lowering the tone of the premises". Absolute crap!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

drinking anywhere in Lerwick is just dire unless you're after a very specific night out. And the reason for this is that all the pubs are the bloody same! Same folk, same antics, same attitude. At any one time there may appear to be a best or most popular pub, but to the person only occasionally up from south the crowds just vaguely migrate from place to place and it's all the same.

Down south you can choose what kind of night you're going to have, you can go somewhere quiet, or lively, loud, trendy, studenty, parenty, cupboardy etc. In Lerwick you only get that very specific night out - loud and boozey, becoming violent and pukey later.

What Lerwick needs is bouncers!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

da back bar in da grand known to many as the fishy bar has na been ruined by change yet and i hope never. It was a great place to start on the 2nd or third day into a binge when the nerves were to jangly in the morning to attempt the mainstream establishments.

da back bar in da grand known to many as the fishy bar has na been ruined by change yet and i hope never. It was a great place to start on the 2nd or third day into a binge when the nerves were to jangly in the morning to attempt the mainstream establishments.

True - It also had an ok Jukebox I reckon. Am I alone in my assertion that a decent (although I know it's a relative term) jukey can really make a place? The Wheel and the Thule both had malfunctioning ones last time I was up (with no refunds either) and I was gutted!

Has anybody seen whit lik Posers is efter it's refurbishment? Someen telt me hit wis 'joost weird' an I windered what exactly dat meant :?:

they havent done much to it, re-covered the seats. put down wooden flooring which is really slippy, then they have taken away yun wooden leaning railing at side of dance floor