A story to restore faith in human nature!

Guest Fetlar Writer

Guest Fetlar Writer

When I published my Shetland debut novel 'The AdderStane' in 2017, I decided to put a copy of it in the Fetlar ferry terminal for folks to read while they waited for the ferry. At the front of the book I wrote a note, mentioning that the book should not be taken from the ferry terminal, and that if it was, a curse be on the person who stole it! (tongue in cheek of course).

It sat there for months, (apparently it was taken and brought back three times) until one day I was told that the book had gone for good. Well, I figured it would eventually disappear! Oh well, I thought, I hope they enjoy it.

A few months later, I received an email, a man told me he had picked up the book without reading my note inside, thinking it was a book someone had left, as travellers often do, and that he was happy to pay me for it (apologies etc). I received payment, and I thought that was the last I'd hear of him, as book reviews seem to be few and far between these days.

Three more months passed, and then he emailed saying how much he enjoyed the book, (he had visited Fetlar in May 2018) and left me a stunning review. It also turned out he is an artistic director of a theatre, and reads many books, so I felt his review had some clout! Needless to say, I was right chuffed, and we now keep in touch.  :razz:

Read the review here.