Stocking up for Brexit?

BigMouth

Are you adding a few tins to your weekly shop, going the whole hog with a garage full of beans or just going to take it as it comes?

Will we all be eating dog food in a few months when the Tesco shelves are stripped of everything else except lumps of ginger and Tesco Finest pork and apple sausages?

In answer to "The Cleaner" some folk might be using the food banks to do exactly that. It may

sound a little cynical, but I'm sure there are those who will say:- "It's ok love, just get the

fags and the drink, we don't need tae worry, we can aye get grub fae the food bank."

I'm not sure what I should be considering stocking up on, even if I believed it was necessary, which I don't. Off the top of the head there's only one item on my grocery list that is EU sourced as best as I know.

We thrived much better before we joined the EEC and imported/exported next to nothing from/to them, why would anyone suppose we'd not do so again.

There was a bump in the road going in, when all of a sudden products previously imported from numerous worldwide locations that had been readily available and plentiful became impossible to obtain, and we had to get used to tolerating EEC member/EEC trade agreement member sourced 'equivalents' instead. There will be the same bump in the road coming out, but its a necessary bump to endure to get to a better place IMHO. No pain, no gain and all that guff.

Besides, so what if certain products are temproariy unavailable, that's situation normal with Tesco, and something we're well used to in Shetland. Or at least those of us who remember the numerous seamen's and dockers strikes of the 60's and 70's anyway.

Edited by Ghostrider

I get your point Brochbuilder, anything's possible but to the best of my knowledge foodbank users have to go through a referral process. The unscrupulous in this world will probably always find a way of abusing a service if they really want to. But I would not want to make a blanket judgement about people using that service, after all not so long back I came very close to needing to use our foodbank. Even now I can't afford to keep a store cupboard. I would have found it very difficult to go to a foodbank as I'm sure plenty would & do even if others don't. But you can't eat pride or feed it to your kids. As an aside I don't happen to smoke & the alcohol consumption of this household is almost zero. Sorry we're getting away from the subject!

The world of JIT goods deliveries mean that any delays in the supply process will lead to shortages. The attached Data for 2017 shows that we import a third of our foodstuffs from the EU. Interestingly it also shows that over half of food distributors had reduced the stocks on hand as a cost saving measure. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/food-statistics-pocketbook-2017/food-statistics-in-your-pocket-2017-global-and-uk-supply

Ghostrider have you got any figures for this " We thrived much better before we joined the EEC "

@mucklejoannie The SNP have been consistent, they want to remain members of the single market (like the majority of the people they represent), trade would carry on as normal as long as we remain in it.

It's only the Tory UK government and Labour opposition who propose to commit economical hari-kari and create a situation where having to stockpile food, medicine and blood becomes a real possibility by crashing out of the biggest and richest frictionless trading bloc in the world and not being properly prepared for it.

The UK government could respect the result of the referendum, leave the EU and still keep membership of the single market like Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein but it's looking increasingly unlikely to happen.

Edited by Capeesh

Back in th sixties and seventies, we had a much less varied diet, little fruit for example.. With 2 boats a week there wasn’t that much imported. Now we have 12 boats a week! The just in time culture works while the market runs smoothly. Unlike the people who look forward to the past, I don’t really fancy going back to saat piltocks and reestit mutton as a staple diet. The rose-tinted view of the past is quite misplaced.

I read a comment somewhere that if the SNP had recommended stocking up with food after Scotland went independent there would have been all hell on but when it is suggested as part of the f*** up that is Brexit everybody just takes it as an inevitable part of the process.

That's because we expect better from the SNP, but we don't expect anything other than a f*ck-up from Westminster!