Police are calling it 'Sextortion'

Guest Fetlar Writer

Guest Fetlar Writer

I received an threat by email today, it was horrid, especially when they use your name, it feels so personal - but of course it isn't, it's phishing. I stumbled upon a Tweet from Shetland Police after I had reported it:

Shetland Police have received reports of sextortion type spam emails over the last week. Please read the attached link for advice. Download link HERE @ShetlandPolice

Just to give you an idea, here's what they said. I've bleeped out the bad bits - anyway, it's around, so perhaps if you receive one, and you've read this, it might not be such a shock to cope with.

-----------------------------------

Violet Wood <"yohfojsy@www.marinexpert.ru"@skm43.hostsila.org>
Reply to: yohfojsy@www.marinexpert.ru

Please take time to read this can be really meaningful info for u

Just got couple of issues to resolve with you Avalina, won't take long, for u to go through and can certainly get your attention. How will u truly feel whenever all your loved ones or pals will witness u taking care of your own self? How will they truly feel is the proper question here.

You see exactly where I am going with this one already? I have poisoned a number of adult internet sites with my malware that takes all data from the machine and gets an easy access to it's web cameras, and tons more. And so now i have a video clip of you w**king and a film you j**ked to, additionally all your personal contacts.

This is ur work email, which Ive located on your computer btw.

Ok last one, I've additionally modified the video to fit on one display screen, so it will be more relaxing to enjoy for everyone. Anyways- if u want me to remove all ur contact info with the video itself, this is my bitcoin wallet address - 1H9LMSPLj4cBWV52ghk81iXBbZF2W5Vw74

just make sure u will not copy no spaces or different symbols. U can easily get the details on the internet on how to use this payment method if you have no idea how its done. 600 is the total in Usd i require to leave you by yourself permanently.

This mail has hidden tracking program within and i will know when you'll read it, and from that minute on, you'll be given five days, to make-up your mind.

i guarantee that every single contact from your address book will see this video, if for whatever reason i won't receive my money.
You are welcome to get in contact with your localized authorities or whoever, i really doubt that it can help.

Guest Fetlar Writer

oscar wildes reply is always a good one. 

You mean, '“There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”

;-)  

I have to say, although the email was not palatable, I could rest easy that I hadn't made any sex videos - it must be awful for anyone who has; say in an unguarded, crazy moment or for other reasons made a video and it's no longer in their possession or under their control.  :shock:

I'd be concerned for anyone that actually fell for that garbage....

They're trying to convince you that they've already hacked you, taken a sex video you had of yourself on your hard drive, and your address book, and you're supposed to 'trust' them when they say they'll delete it if you pay them $600......... Yeah, sure, wait a mo while I duck for all the flocks of flying pigs that have suddenly appeared.

Good luck to them, for the only answer they'd get out of me were I to receive that would be. I hope you're charging everybody from my (non-existent) address book at least $600 each to view the (non-existent) sex video of me, for damnit all, I KNOW I was damn good in that one..... :D

Guest Fetlar Writer

I'd be concerned for anyone that actually fell for that garbage....

Indeed. But people do. Nine years ago I had a neighbour who responded to a bogus Microsoft engineer, the caller relieved my neighbour of £65 and gave him access to his computer. We were surprised that he'd fallen for it!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 14/03/2024 at 13:23, JaquanAlvarez said:

Wow, receiving such a threatening email must have been incredibly unsettling. It's terrifying how phishing attempts can make things feel so personal. I remember a similar experience where I felt targeted by online scammers.

If you ever find yourself in a situation like this, it's essential to stay calm and reach out for help. I recently came across some helpful resources on dealing with online threats like sextortion. Websites like https://digitalinvestigation.com/sextortion/ offer valuable advice and support in navigating these situations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2024 at 11:20, JaquanAlvarez said:

If you ever find yourself in a situation like this, it's essential to stay calm and reach out for help. I recently came across some helpful resources on dealing with online threats like sextortion. Websites like https://digitalinvestigation.com/sextortion/ offer valuable advice and support in navigating these situations.

But you're an online scammer yourself? Can you give some insights into your line of work promoting scam websites?

Edited by Arfski