Selfish Cyclist

stigli

As regards to European rules, this will be under the remit of the Scottish Government, who will doubtlessly fall in line with anything the EU suggests.

Please justify your claim.

Hopefully we are not actually leaving Europe George :cool:

Wheelsup you seem to be blissfully unaware that the Government is porting over EU legislation into UK law on Brexit.

Read this it may enlighten you:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39266723

It was a tongue in cheek reply to this line George

"Don't know if they tell them to behave in the same way in Europe but we're out in March so what they do will be up to them."

Not sure what fishing has to do with cycling but there you go

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fish+cycling+meme&rlz=1C1KMZB_enUS564US564&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=TkE9PSK_zUedhM%253A%252CvksKdMlC_GWAGM%252C_&usg=AFrqEzfP5vmNUVnRel3riUm4WcRLwl7LvA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiTmb_dl7PdAhUML8AKHeYACscQ9QEwA3oECAAQCg#imgrc=NgnosQXCp4B9-M:

• 3 months later...

Another cyclist here.  I would echo that the cyclist has the same rights as anyone else to be on the road, but having said that I will pull in where it's safe and convenient to let people pass when they need to.  Having been a truck and bus driver in the past I know how difficult it is to get past cyclists as you are bearing in mind their safety as well as that of oncoming traffic.  On the whole though I would say that the Shetland drivers are extremely respectful of cyclists, giving them an extremely wide pass.  A couple of knobbers, one in a Berlingo passed within reaching distance 3 times in 18 months, and another in a black Volvo X70 did the same, but only twice.  They are the exception though.

Of the car and cycle though, one costs you money and makes you fat, whilst the other saves you money and keeps you fit.

If I remember correctly, it has been illegal to cycle on the pavements since the 1830s.

Edited by BigMouth

^ I guess its understandable that your average Georgian/Victorian pedestrian would have found sharing the cobbles or flags with a day-glo lycra clad individual hammering hell out of a penny farthing more than they could handle without an immediate dose of smelling salts at least.

Edited by Ghostrider

I'm a cyclist, or used to be, and I can't help wondering if the time hasn't come to issue some kind of licence before cyclists are allowed to venture onto roads.

Not very practical but, as someone who has ridden motorcycles and driven cars, it has always disturbed(?) me that cyclists are able to take to the highways without any kind of basic proficency test.

Not more laws!  Cyclists are the ultimate losers in crashes.  They're not surrounded by a ton of metal, so they will ride more defensively.  You will always get bad cyclists, the same as you will get bad drivers.  The last thing that we need is to be discouraging healthy exercise for the sake of minor inconvenience to car drivers.  Car drivers can always get the bus, then it will be someone else's problem.  Alternatively they can campaign for better cycling infrastructure, which improves life for everyone.

This is likely to come out sounding wrong.

I don’t think licensing bicycles is going to work. There are always going to be bad cyclists out there just like there are vehicle drivers. There are those people that run red lights, speed, do the stupid overtakes and cause accidence. Allot of these kinds drivers don’t have licences, or have had and lost, they just hop in and go. What’s to stop someone doing so with bicycles?
So how do you enforce such a thing? With a car it’s as said by someone else an expensive and big thing most will have 1 or 2 average. It’s registered to you and thus flags up on a system that you may or may not have a licence when it’s seen on the road. With a bicycle well I have 5 or 6, so I have to register them all or just one and move a plate around? What’s to stop someone from copying it and using it? It’s easy for a police man to see on the computer that the red Ferrari that just past is not a blue Ford Focus, but when a bicycle passes well all he sees is 2 wheals and a fat guy, it may be a Beorn Core-Line bicycle or maybe it’s a Carrera Parva Mens Hybrid Bike, who’s to say? (Yes I googled bike manufactures because I don’t know what the one with the big R for a logo is called.) The cost to implement such a system and enforce it would be huge, maybe when its setup it may make money for the government in the inevitable replacement for the fuel revenues but it would have to be well enforced and at the end of the day you will be having police chase a 10 year old over a plate violation rather than something else. But I don’t see people registering or approving on such a system. Just like terrorists registering their drones to not fly there drones over air ports or other restricted areas. It just makes it harder for the people who love to ride their bikes, be that every day, or just once a year.