Garden Shed

Frances144

If I was going to put a shed up again, it would be wooden. It's a good bit warmer than plastic or fibreglass so doesn't need insulation. I'd buy the next one online as they're a lot cheaper that way and I'd put it up myself again. A lot less money that way, but if it's not for you I would bet that there would be somebody nearby who would do it for you. 

Recent sheds I've helped with:

DITT Shetland Standard shed - dear, but good, easy to put up, built to last.

Jewsons kit shed - very cheap, lightly built, fine for a town garden, won't survive out in the open in a bad gale.

Brae Building Centre shed - very similar to DITT one, will stand up to a lot of weather, bit dearer, but worth it I reckon.

It helps to anchor sheds down so the wind doesn't lift them up (By anchor I mean several tons of concrete per corner post!), most shed roof designs I've seen are also not very well anchored to the rest of the shed either.

I quite like the wrap around steel roof's I've seen up here, very wind resistant. :-)

You can easily get several tons of force applied to the side of a shed (I think I reckoned the last one I designed and built could handle 4 tons of pressure, but I only do such things for myself these days, otherwise I don't get enough time to do the things I want to work on.), as such, as strong as you can afford to make it would be my suggestion.

What is the gable end of your house made out of ?

I'd suggest no windows (Glass is only rated to something like 120mph winds, and windows also get broken by flying debri.), and no sticking out bits of roofline.

Nor any gap under the shed that wind could get under and help lift said shed upwards. (I went for solid brick floors in mine.)

I might suggest a sliding door of some type, as hinge doors can easily break off if you happen to be opening it during a windy moment. (Last shed design I did I went for a stable door approach, 4ft wide, 8ft tall, so you could more easily move items into and out of the shed, but up here, I'd be more inclined towards sliding doors of some description.)

Example of kind of roof I'm talking about is this near Ollaberry, on the right, not the left. :-)

1_334617075.jpg

Some good points from Nigel and I may pinch the sliding door one in the future  :thmbsup

I'd add that, if cladding with wood, make sure it's protected before going up as the wood will contract and expose any untreated wood underneath. It's a lot quicker and easier to paint it once clad but, once the smiles appear, it's not so good.

Also, if you intend to be in it over the colder cold months, insulation will be a must: floors, walls and roof or none at all (OK... maybe skip the floor if you must). While you can retrofit insulation, it's a lot easier and better to do it before any cladding goes on.

Don't go plastic. It'll be knackered in no time or completely gone with the wind in an exposed location.

Oh, and IMHO a better alternative to the standard roofing felt is EPDM (who doesn't love some thick rubber?). It's slated to last 50 years (I don't know that it's been around that long so...), is cheap and very easy to fit.

By the time you price up your dream shed you may as well just get an extension  :razz: