The Local NHS.....Paths......and a *Shelter*.....

Ghostrider

^ my word, a balanced response to a positive comment - what indeed is this place coming too!   :thmbsup

It's amazing the positive vibes this shelter has already generated and will going forward

Folks out for a wander get a shelter

Alcoholics, smackheads and randy teens apparently get somewhere to do their activities

Last but not least folk that like to complain about stuff have something to complain about.

Re my earlier comment that the funding came from Scottish National Heritage; it's a real shame that Healthy Shetland have seen fit (if you pardon the pun) to remove several of their own comments and others enquiring about maintenance (who will pay for it; after all, they don't have the funds to adequately maintain the existing NHS buildings), alternative designs, why no handrail on the path, etc.

Scottish National Heritage state on their website that they get most of their funding from the Scottish Government.

I've been pretty neutral so far on this thread but inside; yes, I am taking it personally.  I am taking it personally that the Scot. Gov. would rather spend money on a few shelters quite a distance away from the hospital rather than to address the real issues.  I'm currently on a 28 week waiting list.  I have an incurable disease, yet there is a nationwide shortage of consultants.  There are hardworking staff who frequently go without meal breaks yet these shelters are meant to be a place for them to enjoy too?  Gosh, when will they get the time?

When I visit GBH, I'm more concerned with how close I can park my car to the front door and can't always get a parking space in the GBH car park so have to park elsewhere instead; this won't get any better when they dump the MRI mobile scanner in the car park.  I then have to get back home as quickly as I can to return to work.  On days I don't feel up to driving I take the bus but even then, I don't think I'd manage to get beyond the bus stop to where they propose to site this shelter.

To me, it's a case of priorities.  Sure, encouraging people to exercise is a good thing but as Colin so eloquently pointed out above, let's look at the priorities.  We have buildings falling down, a lack of what is regarded as pretty basic standard diagnostic equipment these days (MRI scanner), long waiting lists, vacant posts, etc.  Never mind, let's whack a shelter up.

No, let's not.  Will it have lighting?  Solar powered?  Or mains fed electricity?  Who will pay for its maintenance?  Who will stop 'undesirables' using it at night or during the day?  Will it become a glorified fag shelter?  Then don't forget the fact that there's bound to be signage to pay for too, so that those visiting the hospital can find where it is.

It's all money coming out of the Scot. Gov.'s pot, yet we have a health service that right now, simply cannot afford such niceities.  

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo

Does the land even belong to them?  Do they own up to the wall, the footpath, or to the sea?

Will it have lighting?  Solar powered?  Or mains fed electricity?  Who will pay for its maintenance?  Who will stop 'undesirables' using it at night or during the day?  Will it become a glorified fag shelter?  Then don't forget the fact that there's bound to be signage to pay for too, so that those visiting the hospital can find where it is.

With respect, most of these are quite specific questions probably best directed at Healthy Shetland. They provide an email address on the web page.

From a personal point of view, I think we're on troublesome ground if we start deeming people as 'undesirable' and try to prevent them from using a public shelter. If they're breaking the law and/or causing a public nuisance then it's a police matter.

Edited by Davie P

@ Davie P

And likewise with respect, some of those quite specific questions had been posed by other people on their Facebook thread but they were deleted!

I should have used italics.  How do you refer to people who commit crime?  Criminals.  Those committing undesirable activities in such shelters ... you know where I'm heading.  It's not just a police matter when people participate in undesirable activities.  For starters, you're not meant to smoke on NHS property or within bus shelters but you can bet that someone will smoke in the shelter.  Those commiting public order offences (shooting up in public, off ya face in public, etc.) are people participating in not just criminal activities but what are these days deemed to be undesirable activities, and those designing and proposing to place shelters in such a location as is being proposed here, I would argue do have a responsibility; ergo, it is not just a police matter.  Did you know that bus shelters these days are designed not to have comfy seats for the purpose of discouraging certain folk from sitting there all day?

Crikey, semantics! ;-)  (and yes, I know that's a tad of waffle but it's 2.50am and I can't sleep!)

I like the yoal design, better value for money and more identifiable with Shetland, the other ones could be anywhere in the world and I would be none the wiser to what it was meant to represent without reading a description.

I agree with those who believe the NHS should allocate part of it's budget to encourage and promote healthy living.

I'm sure I read somewhere about how our leisure facilities have saved the NHS money.

My guess is it's a bit like owning a car, keep it well maintained and you'll spend less on garage bills.

I like the yoal design, better value for money and more identifiable with Shetland, the other ones could be anywhere in the world and I would be none the wiser to what it was meant to represent without reading a description.

Good point re: value for money (dry stane dykes aren't cheap!) and it would put old boats that might not be seaworthy any more to good use. It would be good if they included some information on da history of the boats too. I like the idea of taking a break fae the wind and knowing my shetler used to go to the creels aff Nesbister!