Sea Scouts

Colin

Is there no scope to share some of the facilites already at Hays Dock, Small Boat Harbour or Boating Club?

Would think that buying a listed building sitting in the ebb when sea levels are rising is just going to be an ongoing liability for someone.

Far too many groups, clubs, churches, halls, organisations, etc with underused buildings.

If some of these groups got together and shared facilities, costs and maintenence, facilites would stand a better chance of surviving in the long run.

Sea Scouts are a brilliant thing, i was in them for many many years and throughly enjoyed all the aspects of it

We did stuff like canoeing, rowing using a sixareen (larger and heavier than a yoal), using rescue boat with outboard, sailing mirrors 

during my time we were away in places like lochgoilhead mainly doing water based activites and regularly joined up with a scout group from inverness.

one of the main highlights i was part of was taking two weeks on a training ship on the south coast of england where we worked along side the crew and learned all kinds about life at sea! 

Great experience for myself as i ended up working in the merchant navy....as did a few others

We also did camping and the regular things scouts did.

In my opinion the scouts is far more interesting than the likes of the boy brigrade, purely for the outdoor nature of the things the sea scouts do. 

its a real shame the lodberrie is being taken away from them! it was a good place to meet and moving there in the spring was really a highlight for the summer! 

hopefully some arrangement is found!

> sea levels are rising by 5mm a year.

Not everywhere. :-)

Related link:

http://notrickszone.com/2018/03/26/groundbreaking-new-paper-finds-global-warming-ice-melt-not-related-to-sea-level-rise/

Some highlights from above:

---------------------
Along the coast of Juneau, Alaska, for example, the land surface has been rapidly rising due to gravitational uplift for many decades.  Consequently, relative sea levels are plummeting in this region at a rate of over -13 mm/yr (-5 inches per decade) according to NOAA.

Many other scientists have also concluded that “sea level rise is not the primary factor controlling the shoreline changes” in regions where sea level rise is quite high.   Even at rates exceeding 5 mm/yr, sea levels aren’t rising fast enough to overcome the much more pronounced changes in coastal expansion due to accretion and uplift.

This is not just a local phenomenon, either.   Instead of shrinking coasts and submerged shorelines due to global sea level rise and polar ice melt, scientists have found that the land area above sea level has been growing across the world since the 1980s (Donchyts et al., 2016) . . . during the same period of time that anthropogenic CO2 emissions were rising.

In a new paper published in the journal Geoscience Frontiers, Dr. Khan concludes that “both regional and local sea-level rise and fall in meter-scale is related to the geologic events only and not related to global warming and/or polar ice melt.”

Obviously this leaves no room for global warming and polar ice melt to contribute to the alarming sea level rise predicted to materialize by the end of the century.  Modeled predictions of 1 to 2 meters of sea level rise by 2100 are deemed “highly erroneous.”

Hence, suggestions of an anthropogenic influence on sea level change — the scariest aspect of climate modeling predictions — may be significantly undermined by scientific observation.
---------------------

Do we have any figures for the Shetland Islands, as to whether our land is rising or falling ?

I've read somewhere that Shetland is sinking, whereas the rest of Scotland is going the other way. Something to do with mantle rebound due to the weight of the ice over mainland Scotland during the last ice-age. The southern part of England is also sinking as the mantle under Scotland rebounds. Think something along the lines of a child's see-saw, where one goes up, one goes down. 

OK, so the earth moves...  It might be better to think of sea levels in a slightly different way. 

Forget (?) what the land is doing, but is the sea getting DEEPER because of ice melt etc. ?