Is there life on any other planet?

George.

Crashbox, There are other moons which have atmospheres, Put into the net WHICH MOONS HAVE ATMOSPHERES  for a list.

I'll grant you that, but they're pretty much all extremely thin in comparison with Titan, which actually has an atmosphere roughly 50% denser than Earth's. I do admit that just because a Moon has an extremely thin atmosphere, that doesn't exclude it from having any chance of harbouring some form of life, given what we are continuing to discover here on Earth, and even in space. I've read that hardware taken into space has had bacteria survive on it for quite some considerable time.  Life is extremely hardy by the looks of things.

Right, forgive me if I'll a little wrong on the detail here but I've read a report recently that suggests the element phosphorus is critical to life and the Sol system is in an area of the galaxy that is very high in that particular element. There are wide areas of the Milky Way that is lacking in phosphorus so that might have a detrimental effect on the chances of life.  

I'm looking forward to the James Webb Space Observatory launching around 2021. Unlike Hubble it'll be positioned a good million miles from Earth, in a Sun orbit rather than an Earth orbit, and being a much, much bigger telescope it'll be able to look at light from a host start passing through an atmosphere of an orbiting exoplanet and be able to tell exactly what the atmosphere is made from. Who knows, it might discover a planet that has had its atmosphere altered by an industrial civilisation, just as we have done here on Earth. Doubtful though. 

You're not wrong. I think it had something to do with the area being close to a supernova which was high in phosphorus. Meteorites carried this to nearby planets. Earth was lucky to be in that area. 

Cardiff University wrote something about it.  https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/news/view/1143956-absent-phosphorus-questions-possible-life-on-other-planetsbut I've not read the whole article.

Right, forgive me if I'll a little wrong on the detail here but I've read a report recently that suggests the element phosphorus is critical to life and the Sol system is in an area of the galaxy that is very high in that particular element. There are wide areas of the Milky Way that is lacking in phosphorus so that might have a detrimental effect on the chances of life.  

Well scientists and astronomers use spectroscopy on any light source from the Universe, planet, star or another galaxy and they then break this light source down into known chemical natural elements. 

When they break it all down into "known chemical natural elements", what do they do with the unknown ones? What did they use to make thermometres before they discovered Gallium?

Guest PJS1979

There will be other life forms the problem is reaching them current space technology is no where near good enough, give it another 100 years and we should be ready to explore better

I guess if they came across an unknown element then they will report on it. Unlikely though for the reasons already given. 

The thermometer? It seems it was invented in 1714 and used Mercury. I wiki'd that though  :cool:

Well scientists and astronomers use spectroscopy on any light source from the Universe, planet, star or another galaxy and they then break this light source down into known chemical natural elements. 

When they break it all down into "known chemical natural elements", what do they do with the unknown ones? What did they use to make thermometres before they discovered Gallium?

Unless we get the population down we will not be doing any startreking as we will be fighting each other for food and water, that will of course get the population down but it may throw us back to the dark ages.

Will mankind last long enough to get back to the dark ages?

Steven Hawking: Mankind only has 100 years left on Earth before doomsday