Lots of boats on the Westside

Frances144

We've just come home from a night out and noticed many many boats just off the coast between Foula and Mid Walls.  I could count between 10-15 - all nicely spread out.

I have never seen so many.  Apparently they were there this morning too when daughter was riding her horse out.

Why or is this usual and I just never noticed?

Word is that non-U.K boats have been fishing around Shetland in ever increasing numbers for the last several weeks, and arguaby now could well be present in unprecedented numbers. Prompting the cynics (realists?) to claim that they're scooping up every damn thing they can get their hands on before they're kicked out of it in March. Especially as the Scot's Fishieries Protection outfit seems to be always loitering around where the most UK boats are concentrated, but is never seen near anyone else whenever their presence is checked on AIS.

What  probably should be of most concern to us all is the size of many of those fishing vessels and the amount of fish they are capable of catching.

The question-   Is this industry sustainable considering the amount of fish being caught,experts would say yes but it makes me wonder.

Sad when the boats go off and no fish left for them as happened to the Canadian cod,but I understand that is now recovering after many years.

Never mind when our highly educated very experienced UK politicians get control of the waters everything will be just fine. :ponders: