Fireworks to be Prohibited?......Discuss

bug

Ok - There's a time and a place that fireworks being set off by Jo Public is traditionally acceptable in an un-prohibited way - Guy Fawkes Night (5th November - remember?)

The grand "officially organised" events are controlled public spectacles that, some say, are awesome i.e. New Year, Disneyland, Maggie's Funeral etc. and are expected

BUT what about all the rest?

What are 'the rest'?

Back when everybody was cave (wo)men and I were a nipper fireworks accompained a Guy Fawkes bonfire (unless the few bangers that were purloined for sound effect purposes when castin stalks at Halloween). They weren't readily available at any other time.

I haven't a clue what goes on now-a-days, have no real interest in it. The bigger public displays are fine and well, but they're like UHA, once you've seen one or two, you've pretty much seen them all, so rarely pay much attention unless once in a blue moon.

Edited by Ghostrider

Expensive, a waste of hard earned cash, and just about everything that's "wrong" with the human race.

Lots of flashes, bangs, and smoke that achieves nothing other than a few minutes of "pleasure" (?)

As for "regulation", there is already more than enough of it surrounding the production and use of what is, essentially, a "consumer" product.

If people want to set them off to "celebrate" (?) something.  Let them, but it's not for me.

I hate them.

I hate they are just a method burning money.  I have always thought when folk whitter on about "an Olympic Games to remember" and then have a massive firework display, the best way would be just to get some non-entity to cut a ribbon, say "I declare the games open" and donate all the money save from the firework display (which can cost millions - China's was $1.3M) divided between the really poor countries who arrived.  Now that would be a games to remember.

I also hate what it does to animals and I hate that very few care.  To erect a bonfire next to livestock with the sole intent on detonating explosives in the name of some ancient piece of history that few remember is not a good enough reason and if one more person says "its for the bairns", I may not be answerable........

I have always thought when folk whitter on about "an Olympic Games to remember" and then have a massive firework display, the best way would be just to get some non-entity to cut a ribbon, say "I declare the games open" and donate all the money save from the firework display.....

Agreed, and the wee non-entity should cut their wee ribbon while sitting in their wee bath when it's full of cold water, just in case their fireworks go off. Then the rest of us can sit in front of the telly with a cup of tea and not have to put up with any of it.

I loved bonfire night when I was young, but then I got old and I stopped liking it as much, though I did enjoy taking my own bairns to firework displays before they grew up.  Traditionally it was an effigy of the pope that was burnt and not old Guido. Mind you, there is some irony that a mainly English celebration remembers the saving of a Scottish King :-) 

I have thought for many years that fireworks should only be available to responsible organizations to set off a display like what they used to hold at Clickimin.

Personally have no interest in it and struggle to see what other folk find so attractive with it. Hold a half hour firework display on the 5th Nov and that is all that is needed.

Mind the old folk used to tape up the letter boxes incase a prankster decided to put a lighted firework through their letter box for a "laugh"

Mind many years ago someone decided it would be a laugh to tie a firework to a cats collar and light it.

Fire works are very dangerous in the "wrong hands"

I saw today that a certain shop in town has big banners out side advertising fireworks for sale, but business is business.

Whats wrong with a bon fire in the back garden? Long as folk has a grain of wit and responsible then you can get toasted marshmallows and a good way of getting clear of a old shed, broken furniture etc

Can't recall anyone getting injured with a bon fire but recall a few folk getting their hands etc burned with playing with fireworks.

When I was a youngster (many years ago) fireworks were only available for a few weeks leading up to 5th November and, unless they were "sparklers" were only generally available to adults.  Nowadays, it seems that they are available all year round.

Not saying that it was the "best" way and, there were always a few shopkeepers who put profit ahead of anything else and would sell to anyone.

There were also a few who knew how to make their own gunpowder (very easy) etc.  Home made "bangers" could be awesome.  They could also be quite dangerous !

Ok - There's a time and a place that fireworks being set off by Jo Public is traditionally acceptable in an un-prohibited way - Guy Fawkes Night (5th November - remember?)

The grand "officially organised" events are controlled public spectacles that, some say, are awesome i.e. New Year, Disneyland, Maggie's Funeral etc. and are expected

BUT what about all the rest?

I was certainly in favour of Maggie's funeral, although there was a hellish wait, but back to fireworks...

There's far too much nanny state-ism as it is. Just because some prat does something irresponsible shouldn’t mean the rest of us can't set off a few fireworks. Darwinism, him again, sorts out the weak ones. The major displays are far from impressive, in fact I have only seen one that was, on YouTube, when something went wrong with the wiring, and everything went off at once. It was 30 seconds of brilliant lights and sound.

I haven't set off a firework in 20 odd years, but let’s not ban them lest someone cuts themself on a spoon, and the government feels the need to ban them too.

There weren't any fireworks at Maggie's funeral.  Should have been, perhaps.. :twisted:

What gets me is that every year the media trot out the same old shock/horror stories about people losing eyes, fingers, "wedding tackle" etc.  Makes you think that the whole process is end to end carnage.

Truth is that a few idiots get hold of them, but the vast majority set them off in a fairly responsible manner.