Sumburgh Lighthouse

Claadehol

Significant leak at lighthouse tearoom

I remember speaking to a veteran and well respected builder at the end of last summer. He was involved
with the lighthouse project at one point and was absolutely appalled at the standard of some of the work
carried out.
I didn't take a great deal of notice of his comments at the time, but judging by what I have just been
reading here, his criticism seems well founded.
This project cost over £5,000,000 for christs sake, surely it could have stayed watertight at least for
a few years. Where was building control on this one?
And don't bleat about the Shetland weather, we should know how to cope with that. And by the way the
Mousa broch is still standing, no computers, no laser levels, just good civil engineering skills back
then!

Edited by admin
link added for context

And don't bleat about the Shetland weather, we should know how to cope with that. And by the way the

Mousa broch is still standing, no computers, no laser levels, just good civil engineering skills back

then!

The Mousa Broch has quite a leaky roof too. Did you have anything to do with building that broch, brochbuilder? ;-)

I think it all started to go down hill in the 1960's, with modern architecture..

As such, it might not be the quality of the build that is at issue, but the very design in the first place.

For example, can't anyone design a simple roof with snow loading taken into account...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335800/Snow-terror-Tesco-roof-collapses-S{by the way, do you realise I tried to swear here?}horpe.html

Edited by Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

And don't bleat about the Shetland weather, we should know how to cope with that.

*We* do.....[*mod edit - derogatory name removed*] and deskbound classroom trained architects, engineers and whatnot who at best have only seen Shetland weather on a fine day, simply don't. Might be the nub of the problem.

I daresay spending £5+ Million is very, very easily done, but I see Da Head Lichthoose aa day every day, and while the work was ongoing, I did sometimes wonder just what in hell they'd spent it on that managed to get past accountants and auditors as 'reasonable expenses'.

Its not that big, and its not that much different than it was when it was NHB operational, they demolished a few small later additions, refurbed what was left, built one room, and gave a single track road a coat of tar.......and it cost $5+ Million........ :ponders:

I see in the news today da Toon Haa haes da sam budder eftir dir 'refurb'.....Maybe its the fashionable thing noo-a-days ta incorporate 'surprise irrigation' when refurbing public buildings. The hospital has been ahead of its time for decades, its pished in since 1960.