Brexit (merged threads)

Urabug

Remembrance Sunday a time for reflection and national mourning especially in this centenary year.

This may be your opinion of what Remembrance Sunday is, and that's okay, but its certainly not mine.

I tend to take my lead from the opinions of those who fought in and/or lived through two world wars against basically the same enemy, and whom I think its reasonable to conclude were in a far better position to have a valid opinion on the subject, than the vast majority of people alive today. Of those I knew, they fell almost exclusively in to one of two camps, those for whom it was a closed subject in every size, shape and form, and those who took the attitude that an 'officially organised' event like Remembrance Sunday had more to do with making politicians and generals, who, from positions of safety sent countless out to their deaths, give the appearance that they and their successors gave a damn about anyone but themselves.

Having a single national remembrance service in London, they were indifferent to, erecting memorials in each district to commerate the victims they were fine with. Remembrance Sunday however they were much less okay about, and saw it as an attempt by the same politicians and generals who had ordered so many out to their deaths with minimal option but go, trying to dictate to those who were lucky enough to survive, when, where, when and how they should remember and commemorate those who didn't make it. To them, it was an interference too far, and largely an exercise in hypocracy and whitewash.

So, when joining the EU came along those same folk saw that as a betrayal, disrespect, being stabbed in the back and a significant escalation in the hypocracy of the "powers that be". As many said, for 10 years of my life we fought with these people, not knowing whether the next minute would bring life or death. Yet now we're supposed to be their friends and pretend none of that ever happened........

They've virtually all gone now, but based on the opinions and feelings they expressed in life, I'm pretty sure few if any of those with first hand knowledge of the wars would have been anything less than delighted that even if it had taken 45 years for folk to see sense, that the country was finally going to sever ties with the longstanding warmongers from the continent. I'm equally sure too though that they'd have been livid at the eternal attempts at stalling, fudging and diluting severing those ties, and seen that as yet more betrayal, back-stabbing, hypocracy and disrespect.

If we're going to talk about what is 'shameful', how about some of our our European 'friends' choosing the centenial of the armistice as the time to resurrect the thorny idea of raising a 'Military' force under EU control, - Pretty much a modern day version of what both wars were fought against.

If we don't learn from history that there has been an insatiable drive within some Italians, French and Germans stretching back two Millennia for a single nation 'Europe' which includes the UK, that is still very much alive and well, and treat them accordingly. The sacrifices of all previous European wars will have been in vain, and there is no greater shameful hypocracy than claiming to remember and mourn those who gave their lives, when we apparently still have to learn the lesson they gave their lives for.

Of course it is my opinion just like that wall of text you posted is just your opinion,

@mikeyboy--No not really explain to me what freedoms the Great war won and what freedoms are being won due to Brexit and what links the two subjects?

We have enjoyed the freedom to read and write,the freedom of speech.

This freedom was gained by the Great war?

We can join any club or organization be it religious or otherwise 

Again what has this to do with Great war?

If our foes had won 100 years ago,we probably would not be here and certainly  would not be enjoying those freedoms.

No the British Empire would have probably just came to an end a bit sooner/

Over the past 40 years as a member of the EU those freedoms are slowly and gradually being restricted due to stupid regulations imposed from a non elected clique that seems to controls everything its 28 members and others do.

How?

Homophobia,sexism.racism ect.ect.now playing a big part in all our everyday lives to the extent we all have to be careful what we say and do.

So it is OK to be homophobic, sexist and racist?

Try telling a few Irish, Jewish or sexy jokes ect  in public and you may well end up in jail for participating in nothing more than "harmless fun"

Hyperbole! explain how you would end up in Jail for telling a joke?

The fun is now going out of this great country the UK by the stupid constraints and regulation from Brussels

The constraints and regulations from Brussels that our own Governments had a hand in drafting just to deny when it suited them.

Freedom from those restrictions and the right to freely trade with who ever we want and make our own laws is what I want.

See above. We could always trade with whoever we wanted. 

@mikeyboy   if you cannot see the way this country is going with ridiculous unnecessary  EU regulations affecting us all in the work place and socially ( not all bad) then you must be very young, 

Fortunately i have age on my side and can remember things the way they used to be,if someone stood up in a bar and told some of the jokes I remember they would surely be reprimanded today.

Most if not all big business have to conform to EU regulations to be able to trade,why have Westminster and Holyrood if Brussels is running the show.

The problem is we have had it good for many years but at the expense of our countries sovereignty.

The EU has" leeched" us,no that is wrong word a leech lets go when it has got its fill the EU keeps hold and wants to retain that grip.

Try and buy bananas from Madiera !

Edited by Urabug

In my opinion, I think it is a myth that the EU are to blame for all new regulations introduced in the last  40 odd years. There have been some notoriously silly ones such as the banana bend. Some of definitions of sausage and brand safeguarding have been very sensible. However I really don't think that hardly any of these regulations will ever be undone. I have no doubt many have been introduced and enforced by the UK itself.  Times have moved on.

In my opinion, I think it is a myth that the EU are to blame for all new regulations introduced in the last  40 odd years. There have been some notoriously silly ones such as the banana bend. Some of definitions of sausage and brand safeguarding have been very sensible. However I really don't think that hardly any of these regulations will ever be undone. I have no doubt many have been introduced and enforced by the UK itself.  Times have moved on.

But will we ever get the chance to find out !

@mikeyboy   if you cannot see the way this country is going with ridiculous unnecessary  EU regulations affecting us all in the work place and socially ( not all bad) then you must be very young, 

Fortunately i have age on my side and can remember things the way they used to be,if someone stood up in a bar and told some of the jokes I remember they would surely be reprimanded today.

Most if not all big business have to conform to EU regulations to be able to trade,why have Westminster and Holyrood if Brussels is running the show.

The problem is we have had it good for many years but at the expense of our countries sovereignty.

The EU has" leeched" us,no that is wrong word a leech lets go when it has got its fill the EU keeps hold and wants to retain that grip.

Try and buy bananas from Madiera !

Wow that really is pitiful! I don't agree with you then I must be very young. 

Well old wise one instead of deflecting why don't you try answering a question or address some of the points I have raised about your comments?

The world has moved on old wise one, not all off us are stuck in the 70s.

Edited by mikeyboy

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/en/media/euromyths/bendybananas.html

No country should have its own army but we should have a planetary defence system with all countries working together, this would give us a much better chance of defending ourselves when we are attacked by an alien species. Our space exploration would benefit as well.

We already have that, we know it as the UN....and we know how well they work. They can't even keep peace among their members.

It might also be worthwhile to have some evidence of the existence of aliens species, and of their ability to actually get close enough to us to have an effect on us, before we start consuming tie and resources on, what is at the moment effectively barely a theoretical bogey man.

This rather misses the point.

The regulations of the last 40 years and whether they will be repealed by the UK after Brexit is largely irrelevant. What matters is that we will have the opportunity to repeal them if we want to, and that any new regulations introduced in the future will be decided by us, and us alone, and as such hopefully will be 'best fit' regulations for the UK's individual circumstances. As is EU regulations, which we're obligated to observe, are decided by the majority of EU members, and aren't often what the UK wants or needs for its particular interests.

Take for example the longstanding trade embargo against Russia which prevents pelagic fish being exported to them by an EU member. That embargo is having a significant  negative impact on the Shetland economy. Would the UK have enacted such an embargo were it not an EU member? I seriously doubt it, that was pushed for by the former USSR satellite nations and European nations who might have been negatively affected *if* Putin had designs on moving his border westward.

The point is that many people think that all the regulations introduced since 1972, or whenever, will be rewound - which is why they voted leave.

EU embargoed Russia under extreme pressure from the US to do so - although it has had severe economic implications for countries like Germany.  Very unlikely that the UK would not back the US on this. A few jobs at the catch is not going to cause any concern at government level.

Wonder if we'll ever get our fish back, or has wee Tory Terry May already given them away for no good reason?

Yep, looks like we've been sold a pup......yet again, you would've thought we would've learnt our lesson from the last time they had control over our fisheries in a negotiation.

The disaster capitalists involved with the Tory party make loads of money when the country's economy goes down the toilet, they care not a jot about our fishing industry unless, of course, they can pawn access away for a hefty profit for themselves and their multi millionare backers which, going by the fishing federation looks increasingly likely to happen.

Thanks to Brexit they're making an absolute fortune, while they're shorting the £ on the financial markets, shifting their operations to Dublin and salivating at the idea of selling our NHS to the highest bidder, (the very last thing of value they've not completely privatised yet), the bills for my monthly essentials are going through the roof.

Never mind though, we'll be able to get a blue passport again, shame I won't be able to afford to go anywhere with it... (By the way I remember the old passport as black, not blue.)