Brexit (merged threads)

Urabug

No it wasn’t made clear, no one I’ve spoken too thought for one minute that the vote was advisory. When asked to vote I very much doubt if many people searched the internet to find out if it was a normal vote or advisory. Nor did it suggest anything on the voting paper. Most people with busy lives believes their vote counts and the outcome of the election would be enforced.

As for Boris not doing anything, well I’m sure he hasn’t been keeping you personally up to date with the work he and no doubt his team are doing, the plans they are making and the results they aim for. At least he is trying something, and I would rather see that then the shambles we’ve had over the last 3 years.

By threatening to leave on the 31 October he was starting to rattle the EU which is a lot more than what’s happened over the past 3 years.

I’m no lover of Boris, but I think he is likely the best person to bring this to a head, one way or another, so this country can move on. Of course the remainers will continue to play games at the expense of democracy.

No it wasn’t made clear, no one I’ve spoken too thought for one minute that the vote was advisory. When asked to vote I very much doubt if many people searched the internet to find out if it was a normal vote or advisory. Nor did it suggest anything on the voting paper. Most people with busy lives believes their vote counts and the outcome of the election would be enforced.

As for Boris not doing anything, well I’m sure he hasn’t been keeping you personally up to date with the work he and no doubt his team are doing, the plans they are making and the results they aim for. At least he is trying something, and I would rather see that then the shambles we’ve had over the last 3 years.

By threatening to leave on the 31 October he was starting to rattle the EU which is a lot more than what’s happened over the past 3 years.

I’m no lover of Boris, but I think he is likely the best person to bring this to a head, one way or another, so this country can move on. Of course the remainers will continue to play games at the expense of democracy.

Sorry if you didn't understand it but it was always advisory. 

No he hasn't been keeping me personally updated but obviously he has been in contact with you on a regular basis.

^That kinda shows just how much honesty you find around Westminster, Mikeyboy. Cameron made the promise, Cameron arranged the vote, Cameron was well aware of the result. Three weeks later he announced his resignation. The following incomers showed just how democratic Westminster is.

IMHO, anyway.

No he hasn't been keeping me personally updated but obviously he has been in contact with you on a regular basis.

No, but I don’t claim to know exactly what he doing. It’s not a case of not understanding, it’s a case of it wasn’t publicised to the voters. But it makes a good argument for the remainers

I would not be surprised to see Boris throw the towel in, and resign in a few days as it becomes abundantly clear the "rebels " have twarted him.

Sad but this is modern day politics, but it would be interesting to know what investments all those "rebels" have in Europe that worries them leaving.

The reason I wouldn’t have understood it is quite simple. The government sent out a leaflet to every home prior to the vote, headed “a once in a generation decision” and whilst they recommended that we should remain in the EU, it clearly stated “ the referendum is your chance to decide whether we should remain in or leave the European Union.

The leaflet went on to say the following: “This is your decision. The government will implement what you decide”. That seems pretty clear to me. No where in this leaflet did it state your vote will only be advisory.

I would think that most people reading this leaflet would assume the outcome of the vote would be carried out. As a person who voted to remain, I was disappointed with the result, but as I believe in democracy, I accept the result.

I would not be surprised to see Boris throw the towel in, and resign in a few days as it becomes abundantly clear the "rebels " have twarted him.

Sad but this is modern day politics, but it would be interesting to know what investments all those "rebels" have in Europe that worries them leaving.

If they have investments in Europe, they won't be worried about Brexit. A falling pound will mean anything priced in Euros will be worth more.

This is not the Conservative party I voted for. They are divisive, not unionist. They are radical not conservative. I can’t see the party continuing in its current form. They’ve broken it.

I think it’s opened the door for a third party to make some headway - maybe the Liberals will manage to morph into a popular party and take in the moderates from Labour and the Tories?

Are Johnson and Rees-Mogg even real people? More like caricatures from Looney Tunes.

The third party is already there, its called the Brexit Party. Folk who voted in the more right wing Tories will switch to voting for a Brexit Party candidate first chance they get, and the Tory party will return to a much leaner party, but to the just right of centre party they've been in the recent past.

Its going to be fun and games in the next parliament as its going to be a hung one unless something major changes between now and then. The most interesting part will be whether or not the centre right and far right can stomach working with each other enough to form a government, as while the LD's may make some gains they're not going to be enough to make them the player they were even a decade or so ago, and as for the Goon Show that is Labour, they're irrelevant until they actually find people and policies to put forward folk can start taking seriously again.

And that's the PM's own brother quit from his own party citing the reason as he's, "...been torn between family loyalty and the national interest...".

https://twitter.com/JoJohnsonUK/status/1169555292918571008

You would think the two could [read: "should" when your brother is the Prime Minister of the nation in question] be easily aligned. His own brother resigned. Go on, tell me he's got it tough and we should all get behind him to deliver on the will of the people.

I take it you don't subscribe to the old adage of not mixing business and pleasure then.

Have we forgotten the 'I don't know what my brother does' Goodlad Bros. incident in the SIC already.

And that's the PM's own brother quit from his own party citing the reason as he's, "...been torn between family loyalty and the national interest...".

https://twitter.com/JoJohnsonUK/status/1169555292918571008

You would think the two could [read: "should" when your brother is the Prime Minister of the nation in question] be easily aligned. His own brother resigned. Go on, tell me he's got it tough and we should all get behind him to deliver on the will of the people.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind,will Boris turn out to be one who get things done !!!!

The question is: what is he trying to get done and why. He's in it for himself and certainly not the good of the country.

Altruism and politics are total strangers to each other, always have been, or haven't you noticed.

^ Did anybody really fall for the act in the first place. If he really was the goofball he acted sometimes he'd never have gotten anyplace.

Whose trusting him anyway, or ever has? Both him and Moggy voted for May's 'deal' at the end of March after all...... That's not been forgotten, nor forgiven, and never will.

He's being given one chance to prove he can keep to his word this one time, if he fails to, he'll be in the same political dustbin as his two predecessors are in as quick as he can be put there.