Brexit (merged threads)

Urabug

From memory he made a number of requests at the EU reform bill and won some and lost some, if I recall correctly, in order to appease the hard left of the party who felt the EU hadn’t bent enough, he made a promise to hold a referendum, something he did not have to do. Again if I remember correctly the main issue was to do with free movement.

The rest is history.

Hard right I suspect you meant

From memory he made a number of requests at the EU reform bill and won some and lost some, if I recall correctly, in order to appease the hard left of the party who felt the EU hadn’t bent enough, he made a promise to hold a referendum, something he did not have to do. Again if I remember correctly the main issue was to do with free movement.

The rest is history.

Hard right I suspect you meant

yes of course

There is absolutely no need for all this bull**it for us to trade satisfactorily with one another,I do not have deals or contracts with the local shops that I go and trade with  almost daily..

Some of us want to trade freely with everyone ,but not tied to a regime in which we have little say.We are supposed to have our own parliaments to make and break rules so why add another.

You can trade freely with your local shop because you are in the same country with the same laws, currency, tax arrangements, safety standards etc etc. If you want to trade across borders, you need trade agreements - hence the various EU trade agreements and harmonisation.

Re: 'a regime in which we have little say'. Nonsense. We are/were one of the most influential partners in the EU.

With the greatest respect, your recent analogies of comparing Brexit to the Y2K computing system upgrade and comparing international trade agreements with nipping to the local shop would indicate you haven't fully grasped the complexities of Brexit.

There is absolutely no need for all this bull**it for us to trade satisfactorily with one another,I do not have deals or contracts with the local shops that I go and trade with  almost daily..

Some of us want to trade freely with everyone ,but not tied to a regime in which we have little say.We are supposed to have our own parliaments to make and break rules so why add another.

You can trade freely with your local shop because you are in the same country with the same laws, currency, tax arrangements, safety standards etc etc. If you want to trade across borders, you need trade agreements - hence the various EU trade agreements and harmonisation.

Re: 'a regime in which we have little say'. Nonsense. We are/were one of the most influential partners in the EU.

With the greatest respect, your recent analogies of comparing Brexit to the Y2K computing system upgrade and comparing international trade agreements with nipping to the local shop would indicate you haven't fully grasped the complexities of Brexit.

The complexities of Brexit are quite clear to me, thousand of employees implementing import/export arrangements unnecessary,considering the fact we have been trading successfully throughout the world for probably thousands of years.

if I want to buy a case of wine from Spain the biggest hurdle will be all the red tape.

You gotta love the double standards of all this brexit bull.....

17,410,742 voted leave in the '16 referendum, 16,141,241 voted remain, a majority for leave of 3.8%. Yet many remain supporters keep trying to tell us that was not a 'decisive' enough majority to be relevant or to act upon......

On wed 4th Sept 327 MPs voted to block a 'no deal' brexit, and 299 voted to allow one. A majority for blocking a 'no deal' brexit of 4%. Yet thats fine, great, okay, perfect with the same remainers who complain about a 3.8% majority in the referendum not being enough.....

Will somebody expalin to me how 0.2% can apparently make such a hell of a difference between what is 'okay' and what isn't?

So you think it'll be easier to buy wine from Spain if we leave the EU?!

If we ever manage to leave the EU I'd hope nobody in the UK would want to buy their wine, or anything else from them, but if they did, I'd expect the EU to only be willing to sell us bottles of water masquerading as wine.

Let the EU leaders drown in their damn wine the way they've carried on. Old Junker (any relative of the JU 88 maker?) is well on his way to doing just that by all appearances. The rest can follow him as quickly as they can.

Edited by Ghostrider

@Windwalker

I beg to differ. There's two sides to any negotiation, there was no way the EU would budge on their four freedoms or the legislation any country, whether in the EU or EFTA, have to abide by for single market access. Those are their red lines.

They've made that abundantly clear right from the very start, even before the referendum.

The UK government has been trying and failing because what they're looking for is unacceptable to the 27 other member states of the EU.

Every compromise makes us worse off than if we remained members, we knew this before the referendum, If this wasn't the case there wouldn't be an EU, nobody would want to join, everybody would leave, it's so obvious I feel silly even typing it. No wonder parliament's been struggling with it, it's a lose, lose situation.

Vote to leave = worse off = collateral damage.

Blaming remainers is a cop out and music to Boris Johnsons ears, any deal which inflicted the least damage would've passed parliament no probs if they had tried it at the start, it would also in all likelihood been an acceptable compromise for most remain voters but the Tories alone took any kind of soft Brexit off the table because they've been pandering to looneys in their own party like Rees-Mogg and the ERG

they won’t budge, because they had the upper hand in the negotiations from the start, and they see no reason to offer anything better, due to the way the uk have handled the negotiations. The UK has made a backside if this since Cameron first went to the EU looking for some changes, the EU refused and before we knew it our future membership of the EU was at the ballot box.

Since then our government had continued to handle this badly, be it the Moggs, Johnson, May, Corbyn, Sturgeon and many more.

People were asked to vote, based on the information at the time. To lay the blame at the doors of those who chose leave is unfair.

They won't offer anything better than they already have simply because it would go directly against their own interests, when Leave said we'd get single market access and have complete control over immigration, they must've forgottten to add the fact the EU would never agree to free movement of goods, capital, services and not labour, the four freedoms are too important to them.

They're not going to let the UK flood their market with cheap chlorinated chicken from the USA, or any other product that doesn't meet their standards. The second we leave the single market and the customs union there's going to be checks on everything going from the UK to the EU regardless of what we do with goods coming from the other direction.

This isn't the EU punishing us or playing hardball because they have the upperhand in negotiations, this is the EU protecting themselves, the Leave campaigns were selling us pie in the sky fantasy to suggest otherwise.

I notice Sturgeon and Corbyn get a mention in the blame game, the Scottish Government's been frozen out of EU negotiations and any concerns they've put forward have been completely ignored.

The opposition parties in Westminster have fared no better, while sensible government might have tried to get some kind of consensus going on the Tories have been using very dodgy tactics to circumvent parliament altogether.

Why's it unfair to suggest leave voters take responsibility for their decision? I do have sympathy for the people who believed the lies and now regret it but we all make decisions everyday and have to live with the consequences, thats life.

Edited by Capeesh

if I want to buy a case of wine from Spain the biggest hurdle will be all the red tape.

The only red tape at present is Excise Duty on the alcohol. For still wine, the first 90 litres you import is tax and duty free.You can only bring in 60 litres of sparkling wine Excise duty free.

Well thanks for the info but I will not be ordering anytime soon. :rofl:

If we ever manage to leave the EU I'd hope nobody in the UK would want to buy their wine, or anything else from them, but if they did, I'd expect the EU to only be willing to sell us bottles of water masquerading as wine.

Let the EU leaders drown in their damn wine the way they've carried on. Old Junker (any relative of the JU 88 maker?) is well on his way to doing just that by all appearances. The rest can follow him as quickly as they can.

Your comments are just ridiculous!

The only red tape at present is Excise Duty on the alcohol. For still wine, the first 90 litres you import is tax and duty free.You can only bring in 60 litres of sparkling wine Excise duty free.

Well thanks for the info but I will not be ordering anytime soon. :rofl:

Is that the level of discourse here? Somebody points out the facts on one of your bizarre statements and you seemingly think it is funny. I would be embarrassed.

If we ever manage to leave the EU I'd hope nobody in the UK would want to buy their wine,

I don't tell you how to live your life: don't tell me how to live mine. I'd like to be able to enjoy my Spanish wine without your finger-wagging disapproval.