Brexit (merged threads)

Urabug

^ Um, Madge had to 'take the advice' of the Privy Council to sign the prorogation - Are you advocating sacking all 702 of them as well, or suggesting she ignored their advice?

Current members of the PC include Diane Abbot, Jim Wallace, Emily Thornberry, Nicola Sturgeon, Keir Stamer, Anna Soubry, Nicholas Soames, Alex Salmond, John Major, Sadiq Khan, Jeremy Corbyn, Nick Clegg, Kenneth Clarke, Vince Cable, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair......... :ponders:

The only problem for me is where is the punishment? Anybody involved should be expelled from parliament and forbidden to stand for office again imho.

I'm far more worried about just how much crap all parliaments that affect us, Brussels, Westminster and Holyrood,  have managed to bury quietly over the last four years while this deranged circus show of Brexit has dominated centre stage.

The Enabling Act of 1933, was an amendment passed on 23 March 1933 to the Weimar Constitution that gave the German Cabinet—in effect, Chancellor Adolf Hitler—the power to enact laws without the involvement of the Reichstag.

We all know what happened next.

Deliberately shutting down or bypassing parliament to force through the governments will is a very dangerous precedent, history's full of examples of dictatorships who came to power by taking advantage of chaotic circumstances.

The people who planned to bypass parliament at Westminster have been found guilty by our highest court, now it's time for the punishment.

This type of rhetoric, and use of language is exactly why the news today is all about the need for all sides to calm down. It’s doing nothing but ‘firing up’ the debate and creating further divisions.

The discussions or ‘playing to the audience’ in parliament yesterday was nothing more than an absolute disgrace by all sides. Whilst this continues there will be no way forward.

> One thing that’s improved is that our standard of living has aligned, reducing the need to be

> envious or jealous of our neighbours. Reduced the need to raid them or invade them.

I'm all for seeing improved standards of living everywhere.

But if other countries standards of living have aligned to ours, why does everyone want to move here ?

I'm reminded that I moved to here because of the 0% unemployment rate !

Is a lot better than the 30%+ where I was..

The Enabling Act of 1933, was an amendment passed on 23 March 1933 to the Weimar Constitution that gave the German Cabinet—in effect, Chancellor Adolf Hitler—the power to enact laws without the involvement of the Reichstag.

We all know what happened next.

Deliberately shutting down or bypassing parliament to force through the governments will is a very dangerous precedent, history's full of examples of dictatorships who came to power by taking advantage of chaotic circumstances.

The people who planned to bypass parliament at Westminster have been found guilty by our highest court, now it's time for the punishment.

Parliament had every opportunity to have a vote of no confidence prior to prorogation taking effect, and almost certainly would have won against the government, but they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Why? Seems to me all of Parliament are playing out a charade specifically to keep this clusterdarling as fired up as possible and last as long as possible, which makes no one any better, or worse than another.

That link is to a page which debunks several false claims about a misleading pro-Brexit social media post. It would seem like an odd things for a stauch Brexit supporter such as yourself to post. Have you changed sides ;-)

It was discussed here a couple of weeks ago

I find FullFact to be a pretty reliable and impartial service.

After a bit of a google, I came across quite a few blog posts etc about The Lisbon Treaty/Brexit/2020 based on pretty shaky assumptions and misinformation, and several more fact checking sites that debunk them.

Social media posts outlines 26 points of the Lisbon Treaty – Fact Check

Factcheck 26 questions on EU

The anti-EU lies are back to exploit Britain’s weak spot again

But as you say, if it's on the interweb, it must be true!