Brexit (merged threads)

Urabug

^We are no longer a part of the E.U. though, we're out. It will take until 1/1/2021 for the transition period to come to an end but we're still out.

And anyone working in the UK from abroad EU or otherwise will no doubt still want to convert there earnings to a currency of choice whats that got to do with Brexit.,if new laws allow them to work in this country.

Few will work over here for less than can earn at home .My point its more about money not so much about Brexit.

• 4 months later...

I hope everyone who voted to 'take back control' is happy!

NHS vote: Which MPs just voted AGAINST protecting the NHS in post Brexit trade deal?

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/full-list-of-mps-who-voted-against-the-nhs-being-protected-from-foreign-control-in-brexit-trade-deals/21/07/

I wonder if many Brexit supporters are paying attention to the other (IMHO) destructive and divisive legislation that is regularly being passed?

Genuine question: if you voted for Brexit, are you satisfied with how it's progressing?

Edited by Davie P

Genuine question: if you voted for Brexit, are you satisfied with how it's progressing?

Its been more than 4 years since the vote they were literally waiting until a recession such as the coronavirus recession or something similar to the Bank Crash.

Brexit Could theoretically deliver benefits the country but the fact that it has to be initiated by the UK government cancels out any possible benefit.

£10 says they delay it again last minuet after December

Furthermore we cant weigh up the negative and positive impacts until the UK is NOT bound by EU law which STILL has not happened yet,

The "negative effects of brexit" so far are the result of our politicians and EU politicians and Short sale of currencies by the financial elites.

NHS was being hollowed out since before the Tories even took power, Try getting treatment in a poorer part of the UK or if you were to visit somebody you knew who was you'd see what i mean.

No. Its far, far to slow in happening. We expressed our asked for direction to the Government over 4 years ago, it should have all been done and dusted on a full 'No Deal' basis in days, weeks would have done though, but certainly months at most.

As for the NHS red herring, the NHS, while a very good idea has steadily lost its direction as the years have passed, it is now barely fit for purpose, and continuing to worsen with ever day that passes.

Yes, a large number of people still massively benefit from it, but a horrifingly worrying number suffer or worse from its shortcomings. Which group is in the majority these days, its very difficult to say.

As an organisation it now needs a massive amount of work done to it, and while its still worth trying to save it, you also have to wonder if its already at the stage where starting over from a blank canvas and creating a completely new replacement for it wouldn't be more easily and quicker done.

No. Its far, far to slow in happening. We expressed our asked for direction to the Government over 4 years ago, it should have all been done and dusted on a full 'No Deal' basis in days, weeks would have done though, but certainly months at most.

I would suggest that there's probably a good reason that those four years have been wasted, but that's Westminster's democracy for you.

^Authority stems from the threat of repercussion, We have no Authority over our leaders.

If somebody has authority over you it means little more than the fact that they can retaliate against your insubordination as they see fit without seeing repercussions for enforcing their rules/authority upon you.

If they were to ask the people who voted in a way they didn’t like

“What are you going to do about it?”

The answer would be

“Nothing that has any impact on the lives of politicians and their owners. “

Most of the public aren’t even armed and you’d be out gunned if you tried anything plus they keep tabs on everyone known to be armed and regularly send officers over to inspect the goods and see where they are stored.

Better still the only people who try are in the danger zone of being able to come up with a plan yet not see what’s wrong with their plan.

Thus they can delay it for as long as they like and just throw the odd bone once in the while to make them feel like something is being done, but they aren’t getting what they wanted.

The Remain Camp has institutional power and most of the leavers of government for the entire process,

You might say “Oh but this new guy is different and this time its different”

Believe that when I see it

And “What are you going to do about it?”

Nothing they care about you have no means of retaliation and that’s why they can delay it for as long as they want with impunity.

With respect, I think folk who believed that withdrawing from Europe would be a straightforward and quick process were hoodwinked, and anyone who believed it could be done in days or weeks, or even a handful of months, didn't understand the complexity of what they were being asked to vote on.

An interesting report form the Shetland News a few mins ago - Shetland worse hit by Brexit than most other UK areas

LEAVING the European Union is already costing every Shetlander more than £6,600 in lost economic activity, new research from the University of Warwick suggests.

Shetland is the second worst hit area in Scotland, and the tenth worst in the UK, costing the local economy an estimated £154 million and resulting in a drop of GDP of 18.7 per cent compared to how the economy would have developed without Brexit.

The original research looks to be fine bedtime reading Measuring the Regional Economic Cost of Brexit: Evidence up to 2019

With respect, I think folk who believed that withdrawing from Europe would be a straightforward and quick process were hoodwinked, and anyone who believed it could be done in days or weeks, or even a handful of months, didn't understand the complexity of what they were being asked to vote on.

Greenland  voted to leave in 1982 and left in 1985,

If at that time Greenland would have had somebody like Theresa May Or a party like "the "Conservative" party" in charge they would still be debating a Grexit Deal to this very day.

That, all depends on what kind of 'leave' folk wanted. It could have been as simple as spin on our heel and walk away, to as complex as anyone wanted to make it.

Of course any route taken included costs, consequences and benefits, but simply completely ignoring the EU from Day #1 and getting on with our own thing thereafter was always an option on the table. After all, what could the EU do about it if we did, there was no action for them to take that could enforce anything different than was already happening by us ignoring them.

Obviously building a metaphorical high wall down the middle of the North Sea, Channel and up the Irish Sea and pretending nothing and nobody existed immediately beyond it wasn't the most desirable option for anybody, but in the end its what we're going to get anyway, so we might as well have just done it to start with.

• 1 month later...

After attempting to break the law twice by trying to bypass parliament and being forced to halt the attempts by the highest court in the land, Boris and his untrustworthy government of conmen and criminals are trying to break international law and renege on an international treaty they themselves negotiated.

Consequences if they do...UK being seen internationally as a rogue state.

The speaker of the US House of Representatives released a statement saying if they continued to follow this path there would be no chance of any US/UK trade deal passing the congress. They helped broker the Good Friday Agreement and take a very keen interest in any violation.

The EU on behalf of the member States have given the UK a month to back peddle.

Anybody who thinks, as I did, that Boris and his cabal were just bumbling idiots seem to be mistaken, I humbly admit my error, I was wrong...

They're very dangerous, bumbling idiots.