Brexit (merged threads)

Urabug

^^Anybody can google EU citizenship and find out what it means. You said the term doesn't exist when it clearly does, for a split second I wondered why then decided it didn't really matter, it's the benefits of being an EU citizen (or whatever you want to call it) that mattered to me.

Thankfully, what Ted Heath did to the U.K. in 1972 has left us. There was no democracy whatsoever when Ted inflicted the E.E.C. or the Common Market upon us. There was no democracy on the changing of title to the European Union, but that's all Westminster for you.

Thankfully, again, I'm lucky enough to not live in the U.K. though. I chose to live at home instead.

I wonder how many folk do not post here is case NulVoid decides to crap on everything by responding with the usuan barrage of garbage ?

In fairness, there may just be one or two points of interest buried in there somewhere, but fom my own personal position, I prefer to skip his/her/it's entire post.  Once, that is, after I have managed to scroll past a series of awful graphics.

NB;  Pretty pictures do not prove anything.  Try reasoned argument instead. If I wanted to see pictures, I would buy The Beano...

Yis indeed. I'm no sure whit da point of it all is - it doesna seem to be 'conversational'... mair lik an attempt to shut doon conversation with rambling aff-topic points and needlessly lang-winded, pseudo-intellectual, verbose language.

"Yis indeed. I'm no sure whit da point of it all is - it doesna seem to be 'conversational'... mair lik an attempt to shut doon conversation with rambling aff-topic points and needlessly lang-winded, pseudo-intellectual, verbose language."

Or, in one word...  "sprootle".    :twisted:

I wonder how many folk do not post here is case NulVoid decides to crap on everything by responding with the usuan barrage of garbage ?

In fairness, there may just be one or two points of interest buried in there somewhere, but fom my own personal position, I prefer to skip his/her/it's entire post.  Once, that is, after I have managed to scroll past a series of awful graphics.

NB;  Pretty pictures do not prove anything.  Try reasoned argument instead. If I wanted to see pictures, I would buy The Beano...

To be honest the forum section of Shetlink has been dying on it's backside for years. Lack of new and vocal contributors is part of the issue. When you see the same people dominating the conversation all the time you get bored with a place. Shetlink needs more people, Christ knows how you bring them in or bring old users back.

If you don't like what Nullvoid has to say then you have two options. Firstly just don't respond to them and if that doesn't work for you then use the block function. Everyone has a right to an opinion but in some people you'll just never agree and there is nothing they can say or you can say to change each others mind. IRL you just wouldn't go near each other, can do the same here.

^^ Things took a decided turn for the worse when the active mods drifted off to less bothersome places. Since then it became a wild west saloon for all sorts of extreme views. As far as adverts for Shetland being a welcoming place goes... I find a lot of them quite annoyingly embarrassing.

Nothing wrong with posters holding extreme views.  Everybody is entitled to an opinion.  It's how everybody else reacts to those views that matters.

I also think that Shetlink is a quite welcoming place.  It's just that the occaissonal poster seems more than capable of rubbing people up the wrong way. 

Whether this is deliberate, or accidental I don't know.  I simply just do not 'engage' if I can help it..

The conversation has been dominated by moaning about me and a few have said something to the effect of I am discouraging others from speaking their mind because I come across so disagreeable or contrarian.

Lets say for either devil's advocate or for the sake of argument this is 100% correct!

So you think the fear of me disagreeing or arguing with you is enough to prevent participation in the conversation.

You do not respond in kind or even try to change my mind, Why is this so?

You would rather I simply remove myself or be removed so that I instead go elsewhere and argue with more likeminded people instead

As i said before:

In the west are we as a society less willing or capable to engage with or challenge ideas that we don't like than ever before?

it seems that more than ever the choice of ideas has become more narrow and people are even pushing for laws to protect themselves from alternative views at this point.

You would be becoming more insular with less viewpoints represented and such a reaction might discourage others who agree with maybe one or two things i said from admitting it and any group I joined would likewise be devoid of opinions like your own.

This is how echochambers naturally form and if you look at our institutions and groups all over western civilization you will see more ideological homogeneity and stark clashes when any dissenting view is seen.

Brexit is a good example of something that shows how polarized the United Kingdom has become to a point where it is framed as a battle between good and evil but Left/Right polarization is growing everywhere else too.

Balkanization and Separatism are more popular than ever because compromise is no longer an option we don’t discuss the good and bad points together we separate the points that match our own biases because the other side is clearly wrong and everyone in the echochamber will back me up on this.

We have crap politicians but I genuinely think in real life people are less inclined to risk running for political office because of the blowback and destruction of reputation they might receive by taking a stance that they think is important but views are divided.

Personal cost would just be too great and one would likely be harassed by those who passionately disagree but will not debate or engage.