Brexit (merged threads)

Urabug

27 minutes ago, Evil Inky said:

Have you told all those fisherman this? I think they'd be very relieved to know they can continue exporting fish as they did before we left the EU.

To begin with I answered your sweeping statement regarding the CPPTP and trade in general, you obviously couldn’t argue  the reply, so you resort to changing the question to specifics, but let me answer your question, no I haven’t told the fishermen this, I didn’t realise it was my place to do it. We have had a dramatic change to our usual ways of trading with the EU and yes this has had a knock on effect to some exporters, particularly our fishing industry. These are teething issues for which the government has offered compensation and these teething issues will in time settle down again. That is already being seen.

The gain will for our fishermen and fish exporters will be the opening up of new markets and eventually larger quotas.

I agree the government should have been dealt with a lot better, after all they had years to work towards it.

27 minutes ago, George. said:

I wonder just how democratical it was for Westminster to inflict the E.E.C. upon us C.1961? Ted Heath and what he did to us in 1972? Boris, regardless of whether we want anything to do with the Trans-Pacific Partnership - but that's what some of us call democracy.

Wonder just how much of our fishing water will be given away by Westminster, while a large amount tell us that it's democratical, Westminster to the root.

Vote S.N.P.

Vote SNP ! WHY. George I gave you every opportunity a couple of nights ago to give me some good reasons why we should vote for independence, yet your only and consistent reply is because you clearly hate Westminster. Nothing about how we will benefit as a country and nothing about the negative effects of independence. You clearly want us to close our eyes, cover our ears, vote SNP and hope for the best.

Westminster isn’t giving away our fishing waters, they are taking it back. The SNP on the other hand intends to put it back under EU control, who will give more of it away to foreign vessels, just as they are doing to Irish waters. Open your eyes.

6 minutes ago, Windwalker said:

George I gave you every opportunity a couple of nights ago to give me some good reasons why we should vote for independence, yet your only and consistent reply is because you clearly hate Westminster.

There is no way that I could deny hating Westminster, Windwalker, I do and to the root.

James VI got it very, very wrong8)

49 minutes ago, George. said:

I wonder just how democratical it was for Westminster to inflict the E.E.C. upon us C.1961?

We joined the EEC in 1973 under a democratically elected government and with broad cross-party support. Our membership was ratified by a referendum in 1975 with circa 67% of voters in support. How much more democratic do you want?

57 minutes ago, George. said:

Boris, regardless of whether we want anything to do with the Trans-Pacific Partnership - but that's what some of us call democracy.

The government won a referendum and election with new trade agreements as key pledges. They then start negotiating the promised trade agreements. In this instance too, how much more democratic do you want?!

Perhaps you'd like to offer some detail as to why you don't think the two examples you noted aren't democratic, or offer an alternative process that's more democratic than referendums and elections?

Could it be that the election / Brexit / Independence referendums didn't go your way so you're claiming things aren't democratic?

For the record, I was on the 'losing' side for Brexit, Independence and I've never voted for a party that has had a UK majority, but that's how democracy works. 

1 hour ago, George. said:

Ted Heath and what he did to us in 1972?

I'm intrigued. What did Ted Heath 'do to us'?

32 minutes ago, George. said:

There is no way that I could deny hating Westminster, Windwalker, I do and to the root.

James VI got it very, very wrong8)

So really what your saying is that you don’t care what the outcome or effects on the country might be as long as you feel you’ve gone one up on England for something that happened in the 1600s. Wow you can hold a grudge for some time George.

24 minutes ago, Windwalker said:

So really what your saying is that you don’t care what the outcome or effects on the country might be as long as you feel you’ve gone one up on England for something that happened in the 1600s. Wow you can hold a grudge for some time George.

Mind you George, it’s a pleasant change to see you showing a similar dislike to a Scot and a Scottish king at that. 

3 hours ago, Windwalker said:

To begin with I answered your sweeping statement regarding the CPPTP and trade in general, you obviously couldn’t argue  the reply, so you resort to changing the question to specifics, but let me answer your question, no I haven’t told the fishermen this, I didn’t realise it was my place to do it.

To be honest, I was very surprised that someone still thinks spending billions of pounds on Brexit, with the result that there is now a customs border down the Irish Sea and mountains of new red tape, was a good idea. Hence my somewhat sarcastic reply.

31 minutes ago, Evil Inky said:

To be honest, I was very surprised that someone still thinks spending billions of pounds on Brexit, with the result that there is now a customs border down the Irish Sea and mountains of new red tape, was a good idea. Hence my somewhat sarcastic reply.

To be honest I’m surprised that some folk still cannot accept democracy.

6 hours ago, Evil Inky said:

You're not claiming that the increase in trade due to joining the CPPTP will make up for the loss in trade due to leaving the EU are you?

No I'm not.  I'm not claiming anything at all.  Why do you ask, or are you just trying to troll me? 

1 hour ago, Colin said:

No I'm not.  I'm not claiming anything at all.  Why do you ask, or are you just trying to troll me? 

If the increase in trade due to joining the CPPTP doesn't make up for the loss in trade due to leaving the EU, then it would suggest leaving the EU wasn't a good idea. 

5 hours ago, Davie P said:

We joined the EEC in 1973 under a democratically elected government and with broad cross-party support. Our membership was ratified by a referendum in 1975 with circa 67% of voters in support. How much more democratic do you want?

I believe that the Wastemonster certainly did inflict the E.E.C. or the Common Market, whatever, and no doubt they will amongst others, have told us how very democratic they were. Truth, however, is always the best way to go, IMHO of course, but Westminster will quite possibly, probably, tell us that we'rre wrong. That's Westminster for you, though.

Edited by George.

@George. I asked you some straight questions about accusations you made but I have no idea what your reply is even about.

You've repeated the same posts about Westminster being undemocratic over multiple threads over several years and have regularly been proven to be posting false information, and have consistently refused to provide any evidence, explanation or engage in discussion about the points you raise. Surely there comes a time to just stop?

So let's have another bash at a discussion. Perhaps you could answer the following questions in response to the points your raised...

5 hours ago, Davie P said:

The government won a [Brexit] referendum and election with new trade agreements as key pledges. They then start negotiating the promised trade agreements. In this instance too, how much more democratic do you want?!

Perhaps you'd like to offer some detail as to why you don't think the two examples you noted aren't democratic, or offer an alternative process that's more democratic than referendums and elections?

1 hour ago, Roachmill said:

So we all just have to get with the Brexit plan and any attempt to highlight a demonstrably bad idea is being anti democratic? Yikes!

Not at all roachmill everyone is entitled to their views and to question the government. God help us when folk don’t.

My issue with not accepting democracy was aimed at those who keep saying it was not done democratically, whilst at the same time unwilling to provide any proof of that.  You go ahead and and stick to your views. Fill your boots.