Brexit (merged threads)

Urabug

Perhaps it would help you make a stronger case if you understood the thing(s) you're complaining about?

I have no intentions of making a "case" just a casual observation that has raised my curiosity.

I could probably google it and spend  some searching but I do have better things to do.with my time.

Equally, I'm sure most people have better things to do with their time than read baseless complaining

Please do google things before you post them. Facts, rather than anti-EU rhetoric, would help the discussion immensely.

why just to suit you-p off

My point is that you regularly post factless 'observations' about the EU, particularly about legislation you believe the EU is forcing on us, but consistently can't provide evidence. If you're going to do that on a public forum, you can expect to be challenged.

Edited by Davie P

Am i wrong, the  EU has a staff of 55,000

Am i wrong to wonder what to "H" they all do

Goodness me take all our government offices EU, Holyrood , Westminster do we really need them all .

After the disgraceful behavior in the commons the other night surely I am  not the only one concerned how my taxes are being spent while the NHS and Councils are desperate for more funding.

If the EU,would just tell us to "f " off the problem would be solved but of course they won't

Edited by Urabug

Gentlemen, please do note this post from earlier in the thread and move the discussion forward

This is a discussion forum, so when stating an opinion, please help others forum users by providing factual information and/or links explaining how you arrived at your opinion.

Otherwise, we will be condemned to going around in circles.

How many people work for the EU?

"At first glance, these figures might seem quite high, particularly if we look at the commission. But for an administrative staff covering institutions serving over 500m people it’s a shoestring operation, especially when we compare it to civil services operating at the national, or even local levels. Compare this, for example, to the 33,477 people employed by Birmingham City Council, covering a population of 1.1m in 2015-16."

I can understand Urabug’s concern about the numbers employed by the EU, I would assume they have grown considerably over the years and will no doubt continue to grow, costing more and more money. The perception is that this is a money guzzling organisation, with some people on huge salaries. One in particular is well reported for attending meetings whilst well over the influence. This does not say to me that this is an organisation which runs as well as it should, considering the money we all pay in to it. Maybe if more people like Urabug asked what they all do, we might have more acceptance of them.

Whilst the comparison with Birmingham City Council helps put it into perspective, I for one have a good idea what all these jobs in Birmingham will be, whilst we don’t know enough about the EU staffing positions. If you only count the admin jobs at Birmingham, the comparison get further apart.

Whilst I think it’s correct to try and back up your facts, sometimes, particularly in the current climate, we all need let of a bit of steam and say what we think, it might not be right or wrong, but unfortunately there are a few who look like they are sitting at their keyboards waiting to jump on anyone who dares to post their thoughts, demanding them to justify everything they say, acting as if they are in charge.

Well keep it up and you’ll only have yourself to argue with.

I can understand Urabug’s concern about the numbers employed by the EU, I would assume they have grown considerably over the years and will no doubt continue to grow, costing more and more money. The perception is that this is a money guzzling organisation, with some people on huge salaries.

Interestingly, in the article you just linked to, it states the EU were in the process of reducing staff levels by 5% from 2013 to 2017.

Edit: here's more detailed info:

Whilst I think it’s correct to try and back up your facts, sometimes, particularly in the current climate, we all need let of a bit of steam and say what we think, it might not be right or wrong, but unfortunately there are a few who look like they are sitting at their keyboards waiting to jump on anyone who dares to post their thoughts, demanding them to justify everything they say, acting as if they are in charge.

Well keep it up and you’ll only have yourself to argue with.

I'm all up for letting off steam and posting opinion, but people can expect to query and delve into others' opinions and vice versa.

Completely agree Davy, but it’s the way some look to demand answers and can’t wait to find fault rather than engage in the discussion.

If you look back through the forums you see a lot of names who used to post on a regular basis, some of them who I know have said that they gave up due to their posts being attacked.

There are people of all walks of life, some who will do their homework before posting and other who might just react to a post that interests them, but when they feel they are being ‘got at’ they just fade into the darkness and we are then left with a small number of strongly opinionated folk.

Most folk don’t need the hassle in their lives, so don’t bother posting which is a shame as it doesn't give a balanced view.

@ Davy. P

Interestingly, in the article you just linked to, it states the EU were in the process of reducing staff levels by 5% from 2013 to 2017.

Great to see that they are trying to do something, but as this was 2013 - 2017 I wonder what the outcome was and how levels are doing now. Done a quick search and couldn’t find anything.

Completely agree Davy, but it’s the way some look to demand answers and can’t wait to find fault rather than engage in the discussion.

If you look back through the forums you see a lot of names who used to post on a regular basis, some of them who I know have said that they gave up due to their posts being attacked.

There are people of all walks of life, some who will do their homework before posting and other who might just react to a post that interests them, but when they feel they are being ‘got at’ they just fade into the darkness and we are then left with a small number of strongly opinionated folk.

Most folk don’t need the hassle in their lives, so don’t bother posting which is a shame as it doesn't give a balanced view.

Thank you for this call for reason Windwalker.

This is a good time to remind folk of the Forum use guidelines and netiquette. The last 6 points are particularly relevant.

Opinions and casual observations are always welcome on Shetlink, but if someone is going to a make a sustained and/or assertive case then they should provide "evidence or reasoning".

In this case, some individuals have made vigorous, unequivocal and/or disparaging posts over an extended period and should expect robust responses.

We urge folk to be respectful and empathetic of each others' opinions and help others to understand your opinion through considered and respectful posts. After-all, most of us are neighbours on this peerie island and there's no need to be 'faa-in a fightin'!

@ Davy. P

Great to see that they are trying to do something, but as this was 2013 - 2017 I wonder what the outcome was and how levels are doing now. Done a quick search and couldn’t find anything.

I was pleasantly surprised to see staffing levels being relatively low (IMHO) and being scaled back. I noted that there was plans to increase the number of cheaper contract staff which has its pros and cons.

It doesn't seem that Brexit will mean savings on admin any time soon with increasing numbers of staff being taken on to deal with the transition, and the UK will still have a delegation in Europe.

Edited by Davie P