Brexit (merged threads)

Urabug

Scotland's highest civil court has ruled the UK government's shutting down parliament stunt illegal.

You just have to wonder how much this whole process is costing the country and how much good this ‘new found money’ could have done for the less well off in society.

No matter what you voted, we can all agree on one thing. We are in a shambles with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Whit does dat actually mean in practice? Mare legal wrangling?

It's difficult to keep track of all the developments, but this article tries to explain! 

Scottish court ruling: what happens next in prorogation dispute?

I'm usually quite interested in politics but I'm struggling to process news as it develops. In the past 24hrs or so, the PM has been accused of lying to the Queen, more Yellowhammer documents have been published revealing the governments worst case Brexit scenarios, Scottish courts have ruled the prorogation of parliament to be illegal, but Irish and English have ruled the opposite.....

Edited by Davie P

A shocking discovery has, shockingly, linked Boris backers to over 8... billion... pounds invested in crashing out with no deal. I'm sure he would rather pop his clogs in a ditch than disappoint his masters. It's all in the best interest of the country I'm sure. FFS.

"Currently, £8,274,350,000 (£8.3 billion) of aggregate short positions has been taken out by hedge funds connected to the Prime Minister and his Vote Leave campaign, run by his advisor Dominic Cummings, on a ‘no deal’ Brexit."

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/09/11/brexit-disaster-capitalism-8-billion-bet-on-no-deal-crash-out-by-boris-johnsons-leave-backers/

Has it dawned on anyone yet that the withdrawal agreement doesn't mention trade deals?  Having a political declaration means nowt.  So I don't get why Labour are insisting on a deal by 31 December 2019.  And what's this other stuff doing the Failbook rounds about if the EU does grant an extension beyond 31 October 2019, that it means that Madge will have to abdicate cos part of the duties her and the House of Lords do won't exist under the Lisbon Treaty in January 2020 so how could she give Royal Assent to something that was basically signing away parts of the vows she took at her coronation?  Fake news?  True but just not in the main media or what?

It got stupid trying to keep up with BREXIT with all the motions and meaningful votes a few months back.  Yellowhammer reminds me of Blair getting advice on weapons of mass destruction which turned out to be based on what some student had put in a dissertation.

Presumably Ted Heath's moneymen cronies in the 70s also made a fortune on us joining Europe, they certainly spent a fortune pushing the benefits of joining. Sending leaflets to every household in the country and campaigning for a better future in Europe.

Was that done that time by the Tories, for the benefit of Britain or for themselves?

Were the Tories much less self centred in those days?

And what's this other stuff doing the Failbook rounds about if the EU does grant an extension beyond 31 October 2019, that it means that Madge will have to abdicate cos part of the duties her and the House of Lords do won't exist under the Lisbon Treaty in January 2020 so how could she give Royal Assent to something that was basically signing away parts of the vows she took at her coronation?  Fake news?  True but just not in the main media or what?

That's potentially interesting! Do you have a link? It sounds a little dubious as the Lisbon Treaty has been in place since 2009.

@ DavieP - When they were debating the No Deal in the House of Lords, one Lord spoke about it.  There should be a House of Lords' television recording of it somewhere and it was that part of the recording that was circulating on Facebook.  I think the referral to the Treaty was that other bits of it come into force in January 2020.

From my understanding after watching the video, Lord James was making a general case for leaving the EU and withdrawing from the Lisbon Treaty. He believes that since the Treaty came into force, in 'certain circumstances' the Lords would be 'ineligible to sit'. He might well be right, but I scanned through transcripts of the following speeches and his points are countered and he is reassured on his points (scanning through transcripts of speeches from the Lords is how I like to relax on a Thursday night!)

He doesn't however mention 2020 in his speech, but I came across this article of FullFact that addresses misleading viral posts about the Lisbon Treaty/2020 - There’s a lot wrong with this viral list about the Lisbon Treaty

I find FullFact to be a pretty reliable and impartial service.

After a bit of a google, I came across quite a few blog posts etc about The Lisbon Treaty/Brexit/2020 based on pretty shaky assumptions and misinformation, and several more fact checking sites that debunk them.

Social media posts outlines 26 points of the Lisbon Treaty – Fact Check

Factcheck 26 questions on EU

The anti-EU lies are back to exploit Britain’s weak spot again

But as you say, if it's on the interweb, it must be true!

The U.K was supposed to leave the E.U on 29 March this year. Then a wee extention that we believed was supposed to be agreed by 12 April, possibly delayed, yet again, until 22 May. Boris the pratt has stated that the United Dingdong must leave by 31 October, with or without an agreement or deal.

When David Cameron offered us the chance in 2016 to vote regarding either leaving or staying in the E.U it was put over clearly and concisely. It was put over as being the decision that common man the wanted, and therefore the decision that the common man would get.

Westminster is still fooling around, wasting our time and no doubt our money, and I wonder just how much longer it will waste our time before it wastes our time for however much longer it decides to waste and waste and waste again, and then it waste a little more and then a little more, and then a wee bit more - until Westminster chooses to do what Westminster chooses to do.

Round and round and round again, and round and round and round a few more times.

Yet again, that's democracy for you - well, what Westminster chooses to call democracy.

And, yet again, we will get inflicted upon us just what Westminster wishes to inflict upon us.

Edited by George.

• 2 weeks later...