Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keeping on doing the same thing repeatedly hoping for a different result is a sign of something else though.   I'm all for democracy, but if you re-run the same vote too close together that process be

Boris and his authoritarian Tory government have tried to bypass parliament twice and both times they've been found guilty of abusing their power by the highest court in the land. Thankfully in this c

^Corrrrrong again. I've just come to learn that folk like you aren't worth the time.   You eased yourself in here and have somehow managed to make a forum that was already a shallow version of itself

10 hours ago, Ghostrider said:

How do you figure that from what I wrote?

Expecting Governments to hand you everything on a plate isn't a good idea, and Governments themselves are only a good idea in very limited doses as infrequently as possible.

So that's why you clamoured for extra layers of red tape for businesses exporting to the EU? Because you support limited government?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2021 at 23:39, Ghostrider said:

EU members trade with the rest of the world on terms agreed between the EU and the other nation involved. The terms agreed between the EU and another nation were seldom favourable to UK interests.

If the terms agreed between the EU and other nations are so unfavourable why is the UK going cap in hand around the world begging those non EU countries to replicate the same terms we enjoyed as EU members?

From the BBC...

"...Before Brexit, the UK was automatically part of any trade deal the EU reached with other countries. When the UK left, the EU had about 40 trade deals covering more than 70 countries. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Evil Inky said:

So, less than a month after leaving a free trade area on our doorstop, it appears that the UK is applying to join a free trade area on the other side of the planet:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55871373

Nicely chosen words, but i guess that even you would have to admit that the EU was much more than a simple Free Trade area.

Anyway, the CPPTP is composed of a market of roughly 500m people.  It would seem logical(?) to join the association rather than hammer out dozens of individual trade deals.  Something we could not do when we were in the EU...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Colin said:

 

Anyway, the CPPTP is composed of a market of roughly 500m people.  It would seem logical(?) to join the association rather than hammer out dozens of individual trade deals.  Something we could not do when we were in the EU...

I believe the EU already had trade deals with some of the CPPTP countries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Colin said:

Nicely chosen words, but i guess that even you would have to admit that the EU was much more than a simple Free Trade area.

Anyway, the CPPTP is composed of a market of roughly 500m people.  It would seem logical(?) to join the association rather than hammer out dozens of individual trade deals.  Something we could not do when we were in the EU...

You're not claiming that the increase in trade due to joining the CPPTP will make up for the loss in trade due to leaving the EU are you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It suggests just how democratic Westminster really is. To start with, they inflicted the E.U. upon us, in a completely and utterly undemocratical manner. Now it appears that they are going to inflict membership of the Trans-Pacific Partnership upon us, regardless of whether we want it or not.

It certainly shows just how democratical Westminster REALLY is.

Trans-Pacific Partnership

Edited by George.
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Evil Inky said:

You're not claiming that the increase in trade due to joining the CPPTP will make up for the loss in trade due to leaving the EU are you?

Loss!  The deal with the EU allows us to continue trading with the EU, in addition it opens up loads of new markets, operating without having to pay millions in each week and some unelected body deciding our laws and regulation. It’s a win win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, George. said:

It suggests just how democratic Westminster really is. To start with, they inflicted the E.U. upon us, in a completely and utterly undemocratical manner. Now it appears that they are going to inflict membership of the Trans-Pacific Partnership upon us, regardless of whether we want it or not.

It certainly shows just how democratical Westminster REALLY is.

Really !

Link to post
Share on other sites

@George. perhaps you could explain your point(s) about Westminster rather than just repeating it every few posts on every thread related to politics. Simply saying Westminster isn't democratic doesn't cut it.

In this instance, do you expect a democratically elected government to ask your permission before it negotiates trade agreements? Negotiating new trade agreements was one of the key pledges of both the Brexit referendum and subsequent general election. The government won both - ipso facto negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership is democratic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Windwalker said:

Loss!  The deal with the EU allows us to continue trading with the EU, in addition it opens up loads of new markets, operating without having to pay millions in each week and some unelected body deciding our laws and regulation. It’s a win win.

Have you told all those fisherman this? I think they'd be very relieved to know they can continue exporting fish as they did before we left the EU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Davie P said:

@George. perhaps you could explain your point(s) about Westminster rather than just repeating it every few posts on every thread related to politics. Simply saying Westminster isn't democratic doesn't cut it.

I wonder just how democratical it was for Westminster to inflict the E.E.C. upon us C.1961? Ted Heath and what he did to us in 1972? Boris, regardless of whether we want anything to do with the Trans-Pacific Partnership - but that's what some of us call democracy.

Wonder just how much of our fishing water will be given away by Westminster, while a large amount tell us that it's democratical, Westminster to the root.

Vote S.N.P.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...