Frances144

I have just been quoted by a company that postage to Shetland of a bog-standard cardboard box (with animal vitamins in a 2kg tub) as being £10 non-signed for, Royal Mail.  Apparently being in Shetland is more expensive.  The old Highland & Islands adage.

Is this true?  Last month the company charged £3.95 for exactly the same item.

I need evidence to show them that postage to the Highlands & Islands is exactly the same as it is considered part of the UK by Royal Mail and/or Parcelforce.

I need evidence to show them that postage to the Highlands & Islands is exactly the same as it is considered part of the UK by Royal Mail and/or Parcelforce.

Royal Mail and Parcelforce do consider the Highlands & Islands as part of the UK, but the 'uinversal delivery' charge only applies to Royal Mail services and not Parcelforce ones. Although wholly owned by Royal Mail, Parcelforce is a stand alone courier company run as a seperate entity, and who charge varying rates depending upon destination, in line with  most of their competitors.

What leads to confusion locally is that Royal Mail are sub-contracted by Parcelforce to handle their work here as well, which gives the impression that both companies use the same staff and premises, when that's not the case elsewhere.

Edited by Ghostrider

I also find that companies who use couriers for delivery can also ask for some pretty "dramatic" delivery fees.

Went to buy a power supply a few days ago .  £19  OK, it ticked all the boxes BUT, then I was asked for £24 delivery.  NO DEAL.  Bought the same unit on Amazon for £14 + £4 delivery and it arrived within 3 days..  Nett saving of £25 !  Go figure...

It's ok.  All sorted.

Apparently Royal Mail thought Scotland was international!

FFS!

One day, maybe ;)

I've not tried this lot but the idea sounds useful (although I wonder about how sustainable it is): https://www.highlandparcels.com/

The idea being you get a central belt address to get stuff sent to and they get it up here for a fiver. I'm sure exclusions apply for larger things but it may be of use to someone.

^ At the moment this end is sub-contracted to Streamline, as I understand it. So it just turns up like any other courier's parcel sub-contracted to Streamline does.

Only had one parcel delivered that the sender was supposedly going to use it, but not sure if they eventually did or not, so can't really comment on how well it works out yet.