Donald Trump (poll)

Davie P

Donald Trump  

49 members have voted

1. 1. In general, do you support Donald Trump?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Who are the "riff raff"?

:rofl:

That's a cop-out of a response. I'm interested to know who you're calling "riff raff"? Refugees? Immigrants? Foreigners? People of certain religions?

Let's not forget that Trump, who you just said that "you cannot fault for wanting to keep the "riff raff" out off America", has consistently used xenophobic rhetoric including referring to Mexican immigrants as rapists and drug dealers and tried to ban Muslims from entering the USA.

Edited by Davie P

I'm not going to get into the "riff-raff" argument as it's not worth it but, let's not forget that every country in the world has some kind of policy that is intended to prevent ILLEGAL (?) immigration.  Why people think that America shold be different to Britain (or anywhere else) baffles me.

^ I'm not sure 'people' do think the USA should be different (the USA already has one of the world's most stringent border control and immigration policies) and right-wing leaders who stir up xenophobic fear and resentment are common.

In the UK and USA the 'immigration crisis' is nowhere near as bad as people believe. Right-wing factions are simply using the classic technique of stirring up resentment for political expediency.

There’s no immigration crisis, and these charts prove it

He doesn't do himself any favours by repeatedly stating the Democrats want open borders and weak security. Of course they bloomin' don't.

Also, claiming a wall would bring a 100% success rate also makes you ponder his sanity. He knows people have boats and I'm pretty sure he's flown in an aeroplane often enough to realise there's ways around (or over) a wall. And his recent Game of Thrones hijack about "The Wall is Coming" would indicate he's not (shock of horrors) read the books nor watched the TV program [spoilers]as the wall in question didn't work[/spoilers].

It's all just more of his "promises made, promises kept" nonsense. He's broken promises all over the shop and he's dug himself a very deep hole with this one.

Who are the "riff raff"?

:rofl:

That's a cop-out of a response. I'm interested to know who you're calling "riff raff"? Refugees? Immigrants? Foreigners? People of certain religions?

"riff raff"---disreputable or undesirable people.

As Robbie Burns said "O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to seeoursels as ithers see us!"

Who are we to judge each other, but no country can have an open door policy unless they are able to provide all the public services that will be required to meet  the requirements necessary to support everyone.

No country can expect it's population to be overtaxed to provide for others who have not already contributed to the system.

Few if any countries can fulfill this requirement so there has to be control over who comes in, and the people who make that decision will certainly have to select those who they think will be able to support themselves, contribute to society so as not to burden the state.

That does not mean that those turned away are not worthy, but we do not live in a perfect world tough decisions are a necessity   . 

On a similar vein to Trumps "blame the Mexicans for our ills" mantra I remember Farage and the likes of the Daily Mail/Express etc peddling the myth that the free movement of people from the EU were some kind of burden, facts prove that on average they contribute far more to the economy than us "natives".

Heres a quote from the government's own study into the fiscal impact of immigration on the UK...

"...In 2016/17, the average adult migrant from the European Economic Area (EEA) contributed approximately £2,300 more to UK public finances than the average adult currently living in the UK..."

We should be scrutinising bad government for underinvestment in our public services and lack of housing, not immigrants.

I agree with you on this Urabug, and I also suggest that wealthier countries have a moral obligation to help those less fortunate than ourselves, whether through international aid, infrastructure development or support for refugees.

No country can expect it's population to be overtaxed to provide for others who have not already contributed to the system.

I agree, and I think this is a key point. In the UK, EU immigrants are net contributors to the economy but the perception of 'scrounging foreigners' has been cultivated by right-leaning media and politicians, and is spread on social media with impunity. 

The fact is some immigrants abuse the system by claiming benefits for families not resident in the UK and it is not unknown for immigrant families to visit the UK just to be able to get medical help while here that we as UK tax payers have to fund.

There was a programme on Panarama about this sometime ago.

Not sure how this would work in the USA , could be that we are a lot more compassionate over here in the UK.

I'm always aware of the many Shetlanders that had to migrate,some of them my ancestors,so I do have a lot of sympathy for those in dire need ,but Britain has to be careful and not overload the system or we could all suffer the consequences. 

Guess Trump is well aware of this ,but ma'be if some of the really rich were a bit more frugal and as ,already commented,invested more in those unfortunate poverty stricken areas then the need for folk to move around would be lessened.

Of course many of those areas are "war zones" and no honest person  would invest there with the knowledge that it might fund terrorists.

It is a very difficult job which every country has to try and manage as fairly as they can.  

Edited by Urabug

^ where did you get the 90% statistic from? I thought it was more like 60 to 70%

And, with the greatest respect, saying Democrats want open borders is just nonsense. Here's the New York Times fact check on the claim - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/us/politics/fast-check-donald-trump-democrats-open-borders.html

From the article:

"In the Latino Decisions election eve survey, 73 percent of Latinos said they voted for the Democratic candidate"

"NBC’s national exit poll had similar, though slightly lower, results showing 69 percent of Latinos interviewed on Election Day after casting ballots voted for Democrats"

It's still a significant majority though....

This is the Democrat's current proposal which Trump won't accept because it doesn't include funding for his campaign promised wall.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/08/government-shutdown-border-wall-democrats-security-solutions/2512363002/

Legislation the Democratic-led House passed Jan. 3, with five Republicans voting in favor......

Included in the House bill is:

• More than $1.3 billion for new fencing in the Rio Grande Valley and funding to replace secondary fencing in San Diego and other existing pedestrian fencing. 

• $366.5 million for border security technology.

• $7.7 million to hire 328 additional U.S. Customs and Border Protection customs officers.

• $224.6 million for "non-intrusive Inspection equipment" at ports of entry.

• $7.08 billion for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.