Family Tree software and research

peeriebryan

There have been conversations around da various festive dinner tables about putting together a family tree and I was wondering if any of you folks have software recommendations - something online that folk can log in to and add information, photos etc

The Bayanne website is an excellent resource for local birth/death/marriage records https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland and we'd like to build on that.

We had a look at AncestryFind My Past and the like but they seem quite pricey for an ongoing subscription.

Thanks in advance for any advice

I use FamilySearch (free), Genes Reunited (less than a tenner a year), and Roots Chat (free). I started my research around 2006 and currently have over 600 individuals on my family tree, going as far back as the 1550s. FamilySearch is massive and very useful (set up by the Mormons who are very much into ancestry as part of their religious beliefs). Roots Chat is also very useful, given it's free to join and use (it's just a forum).

I've put my tree on FamilySearch and Genes Reunited. 

Edited by CrashBox

Ancestory has a lot of other information apart from family trees that can flesh out family history. I had a look on it a while ago when they had a free access weekend  and found documentation about my grandad and his brother getting their skippers tickets.

I have a subscription to Find My Past which I mainly use to look at old newspapers. They have digitised copies of the Shetland Times up to 1911. You can enter an individual's name or a place name and it will come up with any relevant articles.

• 8 months later...

I recently got into investigating where my family came from, and as far back as possible. I've traced my mothers side, here in Shetland, back to the 1400's. My fathers side was Leith and before that it was around Berwickshire, possibly going back to Ireland. To find out a little more, I had my D.N.A tested. Scottish, Irish, Welsh - 85.6%. Scandinavian - 13.3%. There is also 1.1% showing up as Mesoamerican and Andean and that's the difficult bit. I cannot trace back to anything that would suggest anything at all from the other side of the pond.

Is there any reason why something like that would show?

https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/pedigree.php?personID=I64898&tree=ID1

Edited by George.

Quite possibly, MJ. My father skippered a ship in the Med throughout WW11 and his father went all over the world, captaining a ship throughout WW1 so something like that could have happened. I've just found another possibility though. I have a few Welsh ancestors and in 1865 a number of Welsh went over to Argentina to teach them to speak Welsh. I've no idea why they did that but they did it, and it perhaps shows another possibility why there's a very wee bit of Mesoamerica and the Andes in my blood.

Patagonian Welsh

Edited by George.