Pensioners fuming over government ‘theft’

BigMouth

Pension age  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should men and women have the same pension age?

• Yes
    • No

No, you have paid the pensions of other people for the past 50 years.

semantics, we all pay into the system to get a pension when we retire, I paid for the previous generations pension and the next pays for mine. So as wheelsup says your pension isn’t a gift. Edited by Windwalker

Ower the past few posts, aabody is right in dir own wye!

I tink it's important for folk to understand dat how much pension dey get, and when dey'll start getting it, is based on da governments ability to pay rather than a direct link to how much folk hiv paid into da pot.

I ken some folk dat think their pension is kinda lik a personal savings account and dunna really understand dat it's more lik a massive joint account!

Workin folk pay into da joint account, and older folk tak oot o it. As da UKs population average is gettin older, dir's simplly less workin folk to pay for dem.

Dat said, da government should be clearer and mare realistic we folk about how much dey'll get and when dey'll get it. It's a cashflow prediction, really.

Da best thing folk can do is save something extra fur retirement demselves, but da UK population isna very good a saving money compared to some idder countries. 

And it's aa very weel saying dat, but a lot o folk dunna hae much spare cash tae save in da first place........

Edited by Muckle Oxters

• 3 weeks later...

In both reports about today's protests, the protesters are saying there wasn't enough warning given that these changes were coming. Does anybody know how much awareness raising the government did?

I suppose that the reality is that when the state pension was first introduced, men generally retired at 65 and died within a year or two.  Women tended to be a little younger than their husbands, did not (generally) work, and lived a little longer.  They needed supporting.

Nowadays, we tend to live a good bit longer and, given that a very large (but shrinking) proportion of the population have no private pension, the cost is unaffordable.

I'm afraid that I agree with the view that;

as both men and women now work, then the qualifying pension retirement age should be the same.

As for it's introduction, I think that the government must have picked "a good day to release bad news" and the whole thing should have been phased in in an orderly manner.

I might be missin something here, but surely it would have been fairer to introduce da changes gradually e.g. add an extra year to the retirement age every couple o years?

Dir will be some poor souls who, by fate of dir birthday, will be havin to work an extra few years more dan somebody born twaree days before dem. Dat wid be a right sitter!

• 1 month later...

When I read hypocritical gushing quotes from our representatives in local media regarding the changes to pensions for women born in the 50's, I wonder if they will ever ask Tavish Scott and Alistair Carmichael why the Lib Dems, along with the Tories, introduced these changes when they were in Government? They voted for it!!! In fact, it was Alistair Carmichael's job as government whip to make sure everyone else in that government voted for it too!! Some brass neck protesting against their own policies right enough. It's like blaming the dog for their own smell.

Getting away from pensions for a moment, we were all told that trickle down economics was the answer. This is despite the Tories knowing that a large percentage of social housing that was sold has ended up with private landlords owning multiple properties. Perhaps we should try trickle up economics for a while. Wealth always ends up at the top anyway.

Women being treated differently again, i.e. better

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/judge-tells-banned-drink-driver-16118933

In short, drunk woman with two previous drink driving convictions, collides with 3 cars, her own car catches fire, which she has to be dragged from.  Female judge tells her if she was a man she would have jailed her immediately, instead she gets the sentencing delayed.

I ought to say that women are by far my favourite gender, but christ they get it easy when it comes to equality.

Just has a quick google... I know its from a year or two ago, but 114!!! Makes the solitary one femail lenient sentence you are so worked up about seem a bit tame in comparison. Not too sure what this has to do with the very unfair pension debate.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prison-sentences-attorney-general-unduly-lenient-sentence-scheme-rapist-murderer-terror-offences-a7867351.html