dogs for adoption

I see in the classifieds dogs are still being imported from the continent for adoption here. This

nonsense needs to stop.

There are countless dogs in shelters all over the UK that are crying out for adoption, check it out!

Why in Gods name are we importing them? Our neighbours in Europe need to address the problem of strays

themselves.

The UK government needs to stop this trade, people are making money out of the misery of these animals

when the problem should be addressed at source.

I sincerely hope the person selling these dogs in Shetland reads that article Frances, takes note,

and ceases this trade immediately. Pretty irresponsible not to I would suggest, and if she doesn't

then maybe a campaign should be started to force her hand.

All dog lovers please gather round and put this trader out of business, it's in everyone's interest.

Why would the moderator take it down? what rule is being broken?

It is a charity not a business.

If it's a charity, then why not state the name of the charity and the Scottish registration number?  I suspect not, because the dogs are coming from Spain.  Now it might well be the case that the individual is a volunteer for the Spanish organisation and there is an organisation for adopting Spanish dogs which is a registered charity in Scotland (is it the same one though?); the thing is, there is NO information on the advert to actually categorically state that it is on behalf of a registered charity.

To me, there's far too many adverts for pets these days by ANY charity which really are emotional blackmail.  They are run as a business; I have a friend in London who adopted from a medium-sized charity and before you know it, not only was she told which local vets to use, but also that she really should sign up for dog training classes with a specific individual ... and they weren't cheap and she ended up going to a different, better qualified dog trainer!

It might well be the case that the person in Shetland isn't making a packet out of this, or, for that matter, this particular organisation in Spain but there are most definitely some adoption agencies that are basically big businesses.

What does concern me are home checks and whether or not this particular organisation would take back a dog if things didn't work out; that's what is deemed good practice by decent dog breeders these days, yet sometimes I've seen people state on Facebook that they have an adopted dog and it can't go back to the adoption agency.  That's strange, because with the larger UK dogs charities, it's a condition of the contract with them.

Facebook doesn't permit pet sales any more (not that you'd notice!) and the Government are encouraging people not to buy pets over the internet so I can understand why some would rather not see this type of ad by what might well be an unregulated organisation here on Shetlink or it's new sidekick/whatever the pesky new ad section is called.

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo

It's the "Pet Travel Scheme" that vets are concerned about. They have made a long list of recommendations

so the government can tighten things up. One in particular here concerns rabies. This is on the continent

and must be kept out of the UK. Apparently under the pet travel scheme there is a rabies injection

followed by a 21 day wait. This apparently, according to the veterinary association bears no relation

to the incubation period of the disease.

This may be run under a charity emblem but I suspect there's a lot of money to be made here. People need

to go to UK shelters and stop this dodgy trade.

Re Wheelsup comment!

That price is understandable when you consider the salaries that CEOs of charities seem to consider

perfectly reasonable.

Apparently the CEO of the Cats Protection League commands a salary of around £140,000 a year. The

SSPCA around £180,000 a year, I could go on.

Charities have lost their way, some without a doubt are a racket.

I would suggest puppies coming from Romania, rescue dogs from Spain, are all part of the same.

Needs to be stopped, and let's make a start here.

Why would the moderator take it down? what rule is being broken?

It is a charity not a business.

If it's a charity, then why not state the name of the charity and the Scottish registration number?  I suspect not, because the dogs are coming from Spain.  Now it might well be the case that the individual is a volunteer for the Spanish organisation and there is an organisation for adopting Spanish dogs which is a registered charity in Scotland (is it the same one though?); the thing is, there is NO information on the advert to actually categorically state that it is on behalf of a registered charity.

To me, there's far too many adverts for pets these days by ANY charity which really are emotional blackmail.  They are run as a business; I have a friend in London who adopted from a medium-sized charity and before you know it, not only was she told which local vets to use, but also that she really should sign up for dog training classes with a specific individual ... and they weren't cheap and she ended up going to a different, better qualified dog trainer!

It might well be the case that the person in Shetland isn't making a packet out of this, or, for that matter, this particular organisation in Spain but there are most definitely some adoption agencies that are basically big businesses.

What does concern me are home checks and whether or not this particular organisation would take back a dog if things didn't work out; that's what is deemed good practice by decent dog breeders these days, yet sometimes I've seen people state on Facebook that they have an adopted dog and it can't go back to the adoption agency.  That's strange, because with the larger UK dogs charities, it's a condition of the contract with them.

Facebook doesn't permit pet sales any more (not that you'd notice!) and the Government are encouraging people not to buy pets over the internet so I can understand why some would rather not see this type of ad by what might well be an unregulated organisation here on Shetlink or it's new sidekick/whatever the pesky new ad section is called.

If you are that concerned you should contact her like I did.

I can only comment on my situation.

My house was home checked after being interviewed on the phone and filling a questionnaire.

The dog is still part owned by the charity and I have to contact them if I wanted to sell, give away or major medical procedure.

The person in question is  a volunteer for a large dog rescue organisation in Spain but also deals with rescues from the UK.

I have met her and she seems a nice person and is genuinely an animal lover but is maybe not the most IT savvy person.

Edited by mikeyboy